• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:07:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 100
Total: 101

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Best non-Deryni

Started by Bynw, March 15, 2007, 08:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

Two Crowns for America is by far my favorite non-Deryni story by Katherine. I do like the magical aspect of it, and of course the historical bit too. Historical Fiction is a great genre. It would be neat to see more stories like this one.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

TheDeryni

This is one of my favorites as well. Historical Fiction is definately a great genre. My favorite non-deryni book by Katherine happens to be St. Patrick's Gargoyle though.
Once you think you understand women.....you will find you understand nothing about women.

Samuel

Although I have not read "Two Crowns"; it's my experiance, with historical fiction, that it contains a lot more fiction than history.

snuffybear

Two Crowns is my least favorite KK book, and the only one I ever took to a used bookstore. I found the whole idea that magical powers were used in the founding of America to be a very annoying idea.

I'd have to say one of the Adept books would be my favorite, but it's been a while since I've read them, so I can't say which one..

Marion

EvilEd

History in Historical Fiction?  It varries.

I also very much enjoy some of the better "alternate history" stories out there, of which, this qualifies to some extent.

Bynw

Quote from: snuffybear on April 25, 2007, 09:43:47 PM
Two Crowns is my least favorite KK book, and the only one I ever took to a used bookstore. I found the whole idea that magical powers were used in the founding of America to be a very annoying idea.

I'd have to say one of the Adept books would be my favorite, but it's been a while since I've read them, so I can't say which one..

Marion

What's wrong with magical powers used in the founding of America?
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

snuffybear

Quote from: Oyarsa on April 30, 2007, 08:09:50 AM

It takes away from what the founders did as mortals without divine intervention and without magic. I suppose that's why I don't like fantasy mixed in with real history.

Marion

Ursa

I haven't read Two Crowns yet but have liked a number of alternate history/fantasy books including the Deryni books  themselves (alternate history of Medieval Britain anyone? With LOTS of Magic too...}, and Randall Garrett's wonderful "Murder and Magic" books wherein Richard I didn't die and a whole new England and world came into being where Magic worked and was used instead of some of the engineering and chemistry we have today.

To me, Magick is a skill and a Talent that we actually have today to some degree but which is masked in western culture by the technology that has come up to take its place.  My husband told me that in his post Vietnam days he used to live off the grid up in Mendocino County in California. No phones. No electricity. He would "send" a message to a friend that said "Meet me at such and such a place." He would leave and the friend would be there waiting for him. I guess you would call it Ritual Magic of a sort since he used pot to open the mind portal. He stopped doing it when he moved to SF. Too much psychic interference getting in the way. As he says, "Long ago and far away now." But even today, I think about calling my sister and she calls me.

I always assumed that Two Crowns was an alternate universe story and there anything goes. You have definitely made me want to read the copy that has been on my "to be read" list for some time now.
    Ursa

jjmjr

I didn't care much for Two Crowns.  Think it was Katherine's first novel where she was covering a span of years in one novel and did not find it a smooth read.  As a result I had a hard time getting into the Characters.

jerry

derynifanatic64

The Freemason angle on the founding of the USA was interesting.  It was not quite up to par with her other books, but I still liked it anyway.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

thistlethorne

I wasn't that thrilled with Two Crowns and it is probably the first book of Katherine's that I didn't read thru twice right away.  As someone else mentioned, I also took it to a used book store.  For some reason, it just didn't "do it" for me.  When it comes to historical/magical fiction, give me Lammas Night over this any time!

Beth
I believe cats to be spirit come to earth.
 A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud
   without coming through.
                   --Jules Verne

derynifanatic64

The Adept Series is my favorite non-Deryni work by Katherine Kurtz.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Lynxany

Quote from: snuffybear on April 30, 2007, 09:44:40 PM
Quote from: Oyarsa on April 30, 2007, 08:09:50 AM

It takes away from what the founders did as mortals without divine intervention and without magic. I suppose that's why I don't like fantasy mixed in with real history.

Marion

I love Two Crowns, it's my favorite non Deryni and have long hoped we'd see more of the characters some day.  But then, I'm a huge Revolutionary War buff too  :)

I don't see how a work of fiction can take away from anything our Founders did.  Now things like the Patriot Act or the tainting of legislation with the taste of religion ... that's another matter.

Kelos_al-Hazar

Sorry to bump this up, but there is ample proof that a fair number of our Founding Fathers were Freemasons to make that part plausible. As for the magical aspects? Either I didn't catch those on the first read (which was right after it came out) or I just plain don't remember them. Will have to reread it. Perhaps after I finish reading (for the seventh time, I think) the current two from C.L. Wilson.

Bauceant

I will confess that I didn't appreciate the nuances in "Two Crowns" until I read it a time or two.   The "myth" that le Compte de St. Germain was the mysterious benefactor and inspiration that led the Founding Fathers to draft the Declaration of Independence is not unique to KK's story.  Other esoteric groups (not to mention a few "conspiracy theory" ones) have also credited (or charged) the mysterious Count with that status.   

Over the years I've read a few treatise on the topic, and while I'm not entirely convinced that the evidence presented proves the hypothesis that he was involved, I certainly do not claim sufficient expertise in the topic to be able to dispute such eminent esoteric authors as Raymond Bernard or Manly Hall.