• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 321
Total: 322
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 06:40:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

KK Chat - 13 January 2008

Started by DesertRose, January 13, 2008, 08:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

[20:05] * KK has joined #Deryni_Destinations
[20:05] <&DeryniBot>  Hi there KK! Welcome to the chat.
[20:05] * DeryniBot sets mode: +o KK
[20:05] <%DesertRose> Hi KK!!
[20:05] <The_Bee> hello katherine!
[20:05] <Elf> Hi KK!
[20:05] <The_Bee> how was your week?
[20:05] <@KK> Hi, guys.  Sorry I'm late.  The battery died in my watch, and I lost track of the time.
[20:06] <The_Bee> Rainbow Dragon sends greetings
[20:06] <@Bynw> Evening Katherine!
[20:06] <@KK> After only three years, how <dare> it die?  (My old watch used to go about 18 months, so I suppose I can't complain.)
[20:06] <@KK> Hi, Bynw.
[20:07] <Elf> I have my grandfather's self winder but I never wear it.
[20:07] <@KK> The week went ok.  I'm very nearly done with the icky tax figures.
[20:07] <The_Bee> good!
[20:07] <@KK> I should even get to write this week, at least until Friday, when we head off for Marscon in Williamsburg..
[20:07] <%DesertRose> YAY!
[20:08] <Elf> Awesome! That will be a major relief!
[20:08] <The_Bee> will there be Martians there?
[20:08] <Elf> Ahh and a trip as well.
[20:08] <@KK> I spent most of today--ahem--sorting through  clothes in my tiny dressing room, and putting things in a box for Goodwill--and seriously weeding my wardrobe.  There's something about a new year....
[20:09] <Elf> hehe
[20:09] <%DesertRose> I should do that, myself.
[20:09] <%DesertRose> I've got a lot of stuff I never wear any more.
[20:09] <@KK> Don't know about Martians, but our Susan will be there.  :-)  It will be good to see her--and good for her to be able to get away for a few days, I'm sure.
[20:09] * Elf nods
[20:09] <The_Bee> say hi to her from all of us
[20:10] <@KK> My wardrobe situation was compounded by the fact that the summers here are very different from Ireland, and I've had to buy a lot of clothes that are more appropriate to the heat.  And the stuff that got ratty and tired after three years of working on Holybrooke was ready to be retired.
[20:10] <%DesertRose> That makes sense.
[20:11] <@KK> I will, indeed.  And we may very well plot and plan things for the new, expanded website.
[20:11] <%DesertRose> Bynw and I have been working on it today.
[20:11] <The_Bee> I haunt the local thrift shop to increase my wardrobe
[20:12] <@KK> Ah.  Haven't had time to look at it again for several days, but will do so tomorrow.  Bynw, you'll have to give me the codeword that will let me get in and tinker.
[20:12] <@Bynw> i'll email it to ya
[20:13] <@KK> Thanks.
[20:13] <@KK> (I have a Jessiecat pawing at my fingers as I type, while sprawled on the desk beside the keyboard.  Jessie, not me.
[20:13] <The_Bee> I tried to check the updates, but it wants a password.
[20:13] <The_Bee> Hi Jessie
[20:14] <%DesertRose> Hi Jessicat!
[20:14] <@KK> She is so soft.  A shame she's so cantankerous with the boys.
[20:14] <@KK> A very mouthy cat, with a Siamese voice.
[20:14] <%DesertRose> That's how my Sweetie Pie is; she's got the most beautiful coat and the most rambunctious temperament.
[20:15] <%DesertRose> Sweetie Pie's not mouthy, but she's a practical joker; she likes to hide and pounce on random residents of my house, human, canine and feline.
[20:16] <@KK> And she always <looks> grumpy, even when she isn't, because she has a little orange V above one eye, that makes her look like she's frowning.
[20:16] <%DesertRose> Oh, I bet it's kind of cute though.
[20:16] <@KK> Indeed, and distinctive.
[20:16] <%DesertRose> Yeah, I bet.
[20:16] <@KK> The back of one hind leg is also painted tan.
[20:16] <The_Bee> what's her overall color?
[20:17] <%DesertRose> Sounds like my parents' cat Roxanne, who is brown tabby with orange tabby patches.
[20:17] <@KK> What an interesting combo!
[20:17] <%DesertRose> She's cute.  She's 17 years old now, but you'd never know it from how she acts.
[20:17] <%DesertRose> She still plays like a kitten.
[20:17] <@KK> Overall, Jessie is black with orange smudges--a true tortoiseshell, as opposed to a calico, which she definitely isn't.
[20:18] <Elf> ahh the type I want KK a tortie...
[20:18] <@KK> I'll make sure her picture gets on the website.  All the cats.  And our frozen fountain of a couple of weeks ago, that looked like a wedding cake.
[20:18] <%DesertRose> Cool!
[20:18] <The_Bee> I went to the shelter and fell in love with a black cat
[20:19] <Kelric-With-A-Masters-Degree> hi kk
[20:19] <@KK> Indeed.  Cold, even.  But the fish survived quite handily.
[20:19] * @Bynw likes his bengals
[20:19] <@KK> Kelric--you finished?!  Huzzah!
[20:19] <Elf> I had a black cat try to follow me home once but at the time I could not have apet...
[20:19] <%DesertRose> I love my plain old tabby cats.  They're no special breed, but they're my kitty babies.
[20:19] <@KK> Tabbies are cool.  All cats are cool.
[20:20] <%DesertRose> Tessa is a ginger tabby and Sweetie Pie is a brown tabby.
[20:20] <Kelric-With-A-Masters-Degree> yeah.  I finished right before christmas and my commencement ceremony was yesterday
[20:20] <@KK> Bravo, and congratulations!  What's it in?
[20:21] <Kelric-With-A-Masters-Degree> library science
[20:21] <@KK> Excellent!
[20:22] <@KK> Will a job be relatively easy to find?
[20:22] <Elim> Library Science?
[20:23] <The_Bee> I discovered Deryni Rising when I worked as a librarian.  Otherwise I might never have known.
[20:23] <Elim> Morning Mrs. Kurtz
[20:23] <Kelric-With-A-Masters-Degree> hopefully
[20:23] <@KK> It goes way beyond card catalogues these days, Elim.
[20:23] <Elim> So noted.
[20:23] <@KK> Please, Katherine.  And where are you, that it's morning?
[20:24] <The_Bee> in his own zone :)
[20:24] <@KK> I sort of miss the old-style card catalogies, actually.
[20:24] <Elim> As do I.
[20:24] <Elim> It is always morning somewhere.
[20:24] <@KK> I have fond memories of them.  
[20:25] <@KK> True enough.
[20:25] <@KK> Ack, KWAMD is silent.  I hope that doesn't mean he despairs of ever finding a job.
[20:26] <The_Bee> with a card catalog, you can take the drawer you want without hogging the entire catalog
[20:26] <@KK> Yep.
[20:26] <Elim> I would like to have a library larg enough to need a card catalog.
[20:27] <@KK> It did make for some contortions, on occasion, when you would try to look in a drawer that was right under or above one that someone else was looking at.  But you met interesting prople.  :-)
[20:27] <@KK> people.  Cat kicked fingers.
[20:27] <The_Bee> you can pull out the drawer and take it to a desk, at least some libriries
[20:28] <@KK> Most people, myself included, don't have enough of a personal library to need one.  It's mostly institutions, I suppose.
[20:28] <Elim> Aye.
[20:28] <The_Bee> and many are too large for an old-fashioned card catalog
[20:28] <%DesertRose> I'm working on needing a catalog of some sort for my books.  They're slowly taking over my living room, and the list of books I want is insanely long.
[20:29] <Elim> My list is actually rather short, it is the intrepetation that is long.
[20:29] <@KK> Our personal libraries are massive compared to ancient libraries, where even great monasteries often numbered their volumes in the several dozens, and that was considered a good stash.
[20:29] <Elim> The entire list is as follows: Everything.
[20:29] <%DesertRose> LOL, Elim.
[20:30] <Elf>
[20:30] <Elf> 
[20:30] <Elf> ROFL
[20:31] <%DesertRose> BRB
[20:31] <Elim> Of course to parse that would take an infinately long time. Good thing I plan to live forever.
[20:31] <@KK> We sort by category on various shelves, with like racked with like.  For instance, all the books on what to name your baby are on my revolving bookshelf that occupies a spot opposite my desk and beside my office window.  Scott's heraldry occupies 4-5 shelves in his office for now; will probably move to the library when that's done.  A lot of the history is up in the book room.  (Yes, we have one of each.)
[20:32] <Kelric-With-A-Masters-Degree> heh
[20:32] <The_Bee> did you use the baby name books to name your cats?
[20:32] <@Bynw> i've got my character naming book right on my desk bookshelf
[20:33] <@KK> The house is still a work in progress, of course.  But at least my office is mostly finished, other than to put up the art on the walls--which requires a drill, since the walls are solid brick.  And I must put away all the clutter tha's accumulated while I was doing the tax stuff.
[20:33] <The_Bee> I'm better at naming characters than creating plots
[20:33] <@KK> I use them to name my characters.  A great place to find interesting names, when you need a new character.
[20:34] <@KK> It also helps that they're often listed by national origin, which helps keep family names of similar origin.
[20:35] <The_Bee> Watch out for anachronisms.  Connall's mistress Vanissa has a name I think was coined in the 18th century or so.
[20:36] <@KK> Never ran into it; coined it myself for the name.  Synchronicity, I think.
[20:36] <The_Bee> I'm assuming it's a variant of Vanessa
[20:36] <@KK> I do try to avoid anachronisms, though.  And yes, Bee, that was probably going through my mind.
[20:37] <The_Bee> A lot of people had the same given name back in Camber's and Kelson's time
[20:38] <@KK> Actually, it's kind of an insipid name, and she was intended as a sort of throw-away character.  Later on, when she and her child became more important, the naming was already done.  Sort of like parents give babies names that, later on, aren't at all suitable.  Which is why some people change their names in adulthood.
[20:38] <Elf> ahh..
[20:39] <@KK> And sometimes you have to wonder what was going through a parent's mind when they gave their baby a goofy name.  
[20:40] <The_Bee> I nicknamed myself Bee, but my family still calls me Bev
[20:40] <Elf> You should see the names around here.... The hippies all settled in the area
[20:40] <Elf> I know a Summer.
[20:40] <%DesertRose> I went to high school with a Summer and an Autumn.
[20:40] <@KK> And then there are Michael Jackson's sons, Prince Michael and Prince Michael II, I believe they are.
[20:40] <%DesertRose> And a Sunshine.
[20:40] <The_Bee> I knew a Liberty
[20:40] <Elf> Autumn, Falls and other odd ones
[20:41] <@KK> Liberty is kind of cool  And there are always the Biblical virtues like Charity, Chastity, and such.
[20:41] <%DesertRose> I gave my daughter a fairly ordinary name but spelled it a little oddly.
[20:41] <The_Bee> then there are the first-last combos, like "Merry Christmas"
[20:42] <Elim> I went to school with two identical twins named Chastity and Charity.
[20:42] <%DesertRose> If my last name was Christmas no way in the world would I name my child Merry.
[20:42] <Elf> Now that would have been intersting never met twins with other than usual names
[20:42] <@KK> Twin-naming is another interesting sidebar.  Parents tend to name them names that go together, so it's often difficult for the kids to form their own identity separate from their twin.
[20:42] <Elim> Suffice it to say that neither lived up to the virtue that they were named after...
[20:43] <The_Bee> I read about a couple surnamed "Rose" who named their daughter "Wild."  She married a man surnamed "Bull."
[20:43] <%DesertRose> Oh lord.  Poor thing.  I'd have kept my maiden name.
[20:44] <@KK> Gak.  Someone sent me a list recently of unfortunate marriage combinations.  Sometimes it's just better to pick a new surname, I sxpect.  We know at least one person who did that.  :-)
[20:45] <The_Bee> My younger sister kept her maiden name till herson was born.  At the hospital they told her she'd be registered as an unwed mother unless she took her husband's name
[20:45] <%DesertRose> Oh, that's stupid, Bee.
[20:45] <@KK> What?!
[20:46] <Elim> Where was this?
[20:46] <The_Bee> 1974.  she decided it wasn't a battle worth fighting
[20:46] <The_Bee> South Weymouth, MAss.
[20:46] * Elf shakes his head
[20:46] <@KK> That is so weird.
[20:46] <The_Bee> I only found out last Christmastime
[20:46] <Elf> Silly governmental rules
[20:47] <The_Bee> probably local hospital policy
[20:47] <@KK> A Catholic hospital, by any chance?
[20:47] <The_Bee> nope.  
[20:47] <Elf> could be.. silly bureacratic rules then
[20:47] <The_Bee> no religious affiliation I ever heard of
[20:48] <@KK> Just stubborn Massachusetts thinking, then, I guess.
[20:48] <The_Bee> now we have gay marrieges her in MAss
[20:48] <The_Bee> here too
[20:49] <%DesertRose> My how times have changed. :D
[20:49] <%DesertRose> They tried to give me a hard time because my daughter has two middle names.
[20:50] <@KK> So?  Royals do all the time.
[20:50] <%DesertRose> Mainly because the form only had space for one.
[20:50] <@KK> Several, even.
[20:50] <The_Bee> it figures
[20:50] <@KK> That's like having a long last name, when there aren't enough spaces.  Happens quite often with Kurtz-MacMillan.
[20:50] <Elf> try dealing with the people that want your full legal name when you were named using Tanistry rules
[20:51] <%DesertRose> KK, totally off topic, but do you like deviled eggs?
[20:51] <Elim> I worked with a woman who had to shorten her surname when she immigrated to the U.S.
[20:51] <Elf> really? wow why?
[20:52] <The_Bee> dotie tried to hyphenatr her son's last name as "Justin Isaac Allen-Mazeau," but they wouldn;t let her. So he wound up with two middle names
[20:52] <Elim> Her previous surname was somethign like 54 letters long.
[20:52] <@KK> Ooo, Elf, you should talk to Scott.  We (he) fought that battle many times when he was an Irish herald.
[20:52] <Elf> yes I laughed and told them really? it won't fit on your form...
[20:53] <@KK> That's certainly grounds for shortening one's name, if one wants.  It happened all the time in the old days, when the first waves of immigrants were coming into the US--legally, I might add.
[20:53] <The_Bee> If the official at immigration couldn't spell your name, he shortened it
[20:54] <%DesertRose> I don't think there are 54 letters in my entire name, first middle and last!
[20:54] <@KK> Scott tells the tale of one such immigrant who asked the clerk what is name was, and whether that was a good Scottish name.  Of course the fellow said it was, so the immigrant said, Good, then we put down that name!  And they didn.
[20:54] <%DesertRose> I think even if I counted my former married name, I wouldn't come up with 54 letters.
[20:56] <@Bynw> i hate it when there arent at least 24 space for first and last name since my full first name and last name, including the space inbetween in 23 characters
[20:56] <%DesertRose> Yeah, you've got a long handle, there, Bynw.  No wonder you chose such a short nick for online!
[20:56] <@KK> Yep, naming presents all kinds of interesting scenarios.  Just look at what we do when naming ourselves for screen names and e-mail names and such, when no duplicates are allowed and you can only have so many spaces.  It's the history of naming in a microcosm.
[20:56] <Elim> His isn't the only long name.
[20:57] <%DesertRose> No, I'm sure not.
[20:57] <Elf> my full last name including space is 19 characters
[20:57] <The_Bee> at least you got to <choose> your surname, bynw
[20:57] <%DesertRose> Mine is pretty short.  Four letters in my first name, seven letters each in my middle and last names.
[20:57] <@Bynw> well since i can control this happy place i've made sure that i can use my full first name underscore last name as a nick without running out of space
[20:57] <Elim> Mine is 25 characters long, for my full name.
[20:57] <The_Bee> 16:  7+ 4+5
[20:58] <Elf> 42 for my full legal name including spaces
[20:58] <%DesertRose> Wow.
[20:58] <%DesertRose> I've got a short name, comparatively speaking!
[20:58] <@KK> Double-wow.
[20:58] <Elim> 8+5+9+3
[20:58] <Elim> That isn't including spaces.
[20:58] <@KK> I'25--31 if you add in my middle name.
[20:59] <Elf> oops wrong 35.. double counted a 7
[20:59] <%DesertRose> 18 here.
[20:59] <Elim> I have to have my full name plus suffix otherwise it's my father.
[20:59] <%DesertRose> Not counting spaces.  I guess it would be 20 with spaces.
[20:59] <Elim> That sounds funny until you get a sumons to court for your parent.
[21:00] <@KK> BRB.  Dryer just blared at me.
[21:00] <%DesertRose> Yeah, my uncle and my grandfather had that problem because they had the same first and last name but different middle names.
[21:00] <Elf> If I don't go by full last name I have to use both first names to differntiate from my dad
[21:00] <Elim> Or until you have been divorced from your step-mother because of a typo.
[21:00] <%DesertRose> My grandfather was William Alfred Prater, and my uncle is William Kenneth Prater.
[21:01] <%DesertRose> If someone didn't specify a middle name or middle initial at least, their stuff got all confused.
[21:02] <The_Bee> One Crhistmas My Aunt Dot opend a gift meant ofr my sister Dot.
[21:02] <%DesertRose> Oops.
[21:03] <Elim> Aparently my step-mother's lawyer specified Jr. instead of Sr. on the annulment....
[21:03] <%DesertRose> LOL, oops.
[21:03] <Elim> Guess who has been divorced but never married.
[21:03] <The_Bee> YOIKS!
[21:03] <Elf> My mom used to use intials... I was KB and my dad was KC
[21:03] <%DesertRose> Poor Elim.
[21:03] <Elf> ackk!
[21:04] <%DesertRose> What kills me about the whole William Alfred/William Kenneth thing, is that my mother would have named me William Scott if I'd been a boy.
[21:04] <%DesertRose> As if we didn't have enough Williams in the family.
[21:04] <The_Bee> narrow escape!
[21:04] <Elf> that was probably a royal pain to fix Elim..
[21:04] <%DesertRose> And my father is William Linwood.
[21:04] <Elim> Fix?
[21:05] <Elim> I haven't even considered opening that can of worms.
[21:05] <Elf> being dovorced without being married.. assuimg that ther are legal issues involved there as in Canada for certain things
[21:06] <The_Bee> It might cause problems if Elim decided to get married
[21:06] <Elim> I'll deal with that then.
[21:07] * Elf nods
[21:07] <The_Bee> but as long as you'redivorced, it's probably ok
[21:07] <Elim> What really irritates me is the lawyer KNEW of the error, and never fixed it.
[21:07] <%DesertRose> Oh, that's just sloppy legal work, that is.
[21:07] <The_Bee> some people are like that.
[21:08] <%DesertRose> Even if my ex-husband hadn't hated his first name, I would NEVER have named my son Whatever Jr.
[21:08] <%DesertRose> If I'd ever had a son, that is.
[21:08] <The_Bee> Hey!  Does that mean your stepmother and father are still married?!
[21:09] <@KK> Amazing.  William is a traditional name for MacMillans, too--and George.  Fortunately, my mother-in-law is a canny Scots-Norwegian lady, and decided to name Scott Scott, after his great-grandfather Scotty MacMillan, who was actually a William or a George but got that nickname when he was a scout in Montana.
[21:09] <Elim> The_Bee: Well he had no problems getting re-married...
[21:09] <Elf> sounds like a bad lawyer... or on ein a hurry...
[21:09] <The_Bee> :)
[21:09] <%DesertRose> I've got a ton of Williams in my family.  My grandfather, my uncle (who actually goes by Kenny), my dad, my cousin, my stepdad...
[21:10] <%DesertRose> I don't think I'd use the name William for a son of mine except maybe as a middle name to name the baby for my stepdad.
[21:10] <The_Bee> My parents deliberately gave me a name that hadn't belonged to any relative.
[21:10] <@KK> The current Chief of Clan MacMillan is a George.  And Scott got a cool middle name of Roderick; don't know where they got that.
[21:10] <%DesertRose> My first name is my great-aunt's name; my middle name is a family tradition on my mother's side.
[21:11] <@KK> I'm named for the middle names of both my grandmothers.
[21:12] <%DesertRose> That's how my grandmother got named.  Both her grandmothers were named Sarah, but one was Sarah Holland and one was Sarah Virginia, so she wound up Virginia Holland.
[21:12] <@KK> That's cool.
[21:12] <Elim> Sarah would have been simpler...
[21:13] <%DesertRose> Yeah, and she always hated being called Ginny.
[21:13] <@KK> Or Sarah Squared. ;-)
[21:13] <Elf> My first name is a family tradition for the first born male child in the family.
[21:13] <%DesertRose> I never heard anyone call her Ginny but apparently her family called her that when she was a girl.
[21:13] <Elim> Then again, I have always liked what Frank Zappa named his daughter.. Moonunit.
[21:13] <%DesertRose> LOL
[21:14] <Elf> What was the son's name? It was odd as well
[21:14] <%DesertRose> Dweezil
[21:14] <The_Bee> Dweezil
[21:14] <Elim> Dweezil
[21:14] <@KK> I suspect that many of us had childhood nicknames we'd rather forget.  And I was trying to think of Moonunit earlier, Elim!  Now, that's an off name.
[21:14] <Elf> He must have fun in school with that name...
[21:14] <@KK> Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter is Apple.
[21:15] <@KK> Odd name.
[21:15] <%DesertRose> I know.  I can't imagine naming my kid after a fruit.
[21:15] <The_Bee> Cherry mayme
[21:15] <%DesertRose> My daughter's name is Stephani.  Nice classic Greek name.
[21:15] <@KK> That's a good name.
[21:15] <Elf> that is an odd name KK
[21:16] <Elim> My cats have... quasi unique names.
[21:16] <%DesertRose> Atlas and Prometheus and who else, Elim?
[21:16] <@KK> Mine have proper Victorian/Edwardian names.
[21:16] <%DesertRose> Tessa came to me already named.  It's actually short for Contessa.
[21:17] <The_Bee> Melantha was "Sadie" at the shelter, but I renamed her.
[21:17] <%DesertRose> Melantha is a prettier name than Sadie, I think.
[21:17] <The_Bee> me too. and I wanted to make her mine.
[21:18] <%DesertRose> Well, I got Tessa from friends, and I liked the name well enough, so I left it alone.
[21:18] <The_Bee> My housekeeper has a cat named Cinnamon.
[21:18] <%DesertRose> I was going to name her Isabela, so since she was already answering to Contessa or Tessa, Isabela is her middle name.
[21:18] <Elim> Couchcritter, Her, Tain/Fabulous Jr./Damnit get away from that, wobbles, The other mamma cat, Dot
[21:18] <The_Bee> La Contessa Isabela
[21:18] <%DesertRose> Yup.  That's my Tess-Tess.
[21:19] <@Bynw> my cats are named after people on the server
[21:19] <The_Bee> i remember Andi came to the chat once
[21:19] <%DesertRose> Good thing I wasn't around when you named your cats Bynw.  DesertRose is a long handle for a cat.
[21:19] <%DesertRose> :D
[21:19] * %DesertRose pokes Bynw in the tummy to let him know she's kidding.
[21:19] <@KK> Jessica (Jessie), Nicholas (Nicky), Augustus (Gus), Matilda (Tillie), and Alexander (Sasha to his friends). Edgar was J. Edgar Hoover, because he hoovered up the other cats' food when he first came to live with us.  And we had Hero, and Phoebe, and Pandora, and Rupurrt, and The Marmalade Bear, and Cimber, and Galadriel.
[21:20] <@Bynw> lol
[21:20] <Elf> heh my only cat to date was named Ginger
[21:20] <%DesertRose> Galadriel would make a nice name for a pale ginger cat.
[21:21] <The_Bee> if she was female
[21:21] <%DesertRose> Yup.
[21:21] <Elim> KK: How many cats do you have?
[21:21] <@KK> Speaking of cats, several of mine are ganging up on me and wanting supper, so I'd better sign off for tonight.  Won't be here next week, as we're staying over an extra day in Williamsburg, but I'll be checking in on the new website from time to tine.
[21:21] <%DesertRose> Elim, I'm still giggling over Damnit get away from that!
[21:21] <@KK> Hello?
[21:21] <%DesertRose> Okay, KK, have a good two weeks.
[21:22] <The_Bee> good night, Katherine
[21:22] <Elf> Have a good week and trip KK!
[21:22] <@Bynw> have a good con Katherine
[21:22] <@KK> Hello?
[21:22] <Elim> Yes.. the / indicated the same cat but he has three different names.
[21:22] <%DesertRose> Hello?
[21:22] * @KK Quit (Quit: )
[21:23] <The_Bee> Hello yourself
[21:23] * KK has joined #Deryni_Destinations
[21:23] <&DeryniBot>  Gwynedd's Sheriff, Marnin, nods to KK and checks their weapons at the door.
[21:23] <%DesertRose> WB, KK.
[21:23] * DeryniBot sets mode: +o KK
[21:23] <The_Bee> rehi KK!cats
[21:23] <Elf> wb KK
[21:23] <@KK> That was odd.  I was typing away, and when I'd hit return, my words would go off into the ether.  
[21:23] <Elim> Welcome back.
[21:24] <Elim> The were arriving.
[21:24] <%DesertRose> We got you saying "Hello?" a couple of times.
[21:24] <Elf> yes.. just tired.. and
[21:24] <@KK> It wasn't showing up on my screen, and I couldn't get Bynw to answer on the other screen we'd been using.  I've got to go anyway.  Several cats are making sharking motions, so I need to go and feed.
[21:25] <%DesertRose> Okay, take care and travel safely!
[21:25] <@Bynw> have a good night Katherine
[21:25] <The_Bee> enjoy your weeks
[21:25] <@KK> See you in two weeks.  Take care, all, and stay healthy in the cold!
[21:25] <Kelric-With-A-Masters-Degree> cats want cheezburger?
[21:25] <@KK> Tuna, actually.
[21:25] <Elf> Enjoy the con!
[21:25] <@KK> Though they'd probably shred a cheesburger--if the dog didn't get there first.
[21:26] <@KK> ?me steps onto her Portal, waves good night,a nd disappears in a shower of green sparkles.
[21:26] <@KK> Rented fingers tonight, too.  G'night, all.
[21:26] <@Bynw> night!
[21:26] <The_Bee> good night
[21:26] <Elf> night!
[21:26] <%DesertRose> G'night!
[21:27] * @KK Quit (Quit: )
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)