• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:10:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 236
Total: 237

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Mini-Duncan's Mini Castle Tower

Started by Evie, April 15, 2012, 12:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiral

The pictures of the cats, er Building Inspectors, checking out the castle are priceless.  =o) But surely Duncan has nothing to fear from them, since Dhugal MUST have got his knack with animals from somewhere....

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Come to think of it, he did keep that smile on his face the entire time....   :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

I took a little time to add to this project today:

Beginning the masonry by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I began adding the "stonework" to the stand-alone tower, cutting out and gluing on a few experimental blocks of the halved foamcore board to the wood, using the existing brick pattern as a guide.  I haven't decided yet if I will apply the same treatment to the mini-castle.  It might all depend on how well this project turns out and if I like the look of it well enough to bother with covering a much larger object the same way.  My husband saw it from across the room and he said from that vantage point the stonework looks really convincing; apparently the lights and shadows give it a really nice effect.  I'm sure it will look even better once it's "mortared" and painted to look like stone rather than exposed foamcore.

I found some small rectangular sheets of marble travertine mosaic tiles at Hobby Lobby today.  I'm trying to convince myself that the mini-castle does not need actual marble tile floors....   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

QuoteI'm trying to convince myself that the mini-castle does not need actual marble tile floors.... 
I wouldn't even bother trying - you simply KNOW that you will end up doing it!  :D

Evie

At what looks like it would amount to about $7.50 per room for the mosaic tiles alone, not counting the grout I'd also need to buy with it, I wouldn't count on that.  It would also make the dollhouse a fair bit heavier, I'd think, which might defeat the purpose of having one that is easily portable.  And I don't know how well they'd adhere to the wooden box "floor," or how I'd conceal the edges of the tiles to hide the fact that they are many times thicker than 1:48 scale.  A printed color copy of tile floors that are laminated to give them a glossy sheen would probably work out better, given the scale I'd be working with.

But still...marble travertine.  Too bad they don't make paper-thin mosaic tiles....   :)

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Three future LEGO Deryni by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

LEGO Duncan asked very nicely for some friends his own size who can fit in his mini-castle, so this crew followed me home from Dragon*Con.  They might need some wardrobe modifications, but that should be easily enough done with some paint markers or acrylic paints and a few scraps of fabric to make flowing skirts and perhaps sleeves out of.  I figure the little guy with the black clothes and white-gold hair would work for Alaric once I figure out how to make his tunic look a little less Jedi-like.  Either that, or if I can acquire LOTR or Castle LEGO minifig bodies, he and Duncan can have occasional wardrobe changes.  The two young ladies are from this year's new "Lady Figs" LEGO collection.  This new line has curved shapes rather than just boxy squares and rectangles, and also doesn't have the "yellow jaundice" body parts that the regular LEGO figures have.  Some LEGO purists don't like them for that reason, but I think they're adorable.  The previous girl LEGOs with boxy bodies always annoyed the crap out of me...sorry, purists!   I will probably end up tweaking eye and hair colors a little bit.  Good thing I've got that magnifying visor!

--WARNING!!!--