• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The cover art on Dryni Checkmate

Started by quincydew, March 20, 2012, 04:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quincydew

Hi I'm brand new to the boards, and only recently started reading the Deryni Chronicles. I have a question that possibly only Katherine could answer. My copy of DC (which I've only gotten one chapter in on) shows who I assume to be a red headed Morgan in the rear right of the picture. He bares remarkable resemblence to a real life Brion Corwyn, the first child named after KK's books. My copy was published in 2008, and I was wondering if the cover was indeed fashioned after the now adult Brion?

Ann Taylor
Woodland, WA

Alkari

Cover art forbooks is occasionally puzzling  :)   Certainly the Deryni paperbacks have had several different cover-art designs.  You must have a later edition, as my copy is a 1972 original with a design showing the Camber mosaic, a shadowy cowled figure, soldiers in the distance, etc. 

But if the figure is red-headed, I'd say he is most unlikely to be Alaric Morgan, who has very fair, golden hair! 

Anyone else know the cover art in question?

Evie

Welcome to the board!  I don't know the answer to your question, but KK is often at our Sunday night chats which are held in the chatroom (see the link in the Forum toolbar at the top of the page) at 7:00 pm US Eastern time, so do your time conversion as needed.  She might have an answer to that question.

My guess is that any resemblance is coincidental, as authors rarely have much say in their own cover art unless they are self-published.  But I could be wrong in this instance.

Is this the cover art you are referring to?

If so, then that rear right figure is intended to be Morgan, although the books describe him as blond, and I suspect that the reddish (or "strawberry-blond") tinge you're seeing is just the artist's way of trying to depict shadowing.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Alkari

Interesting - I would never have called that figure as having "red" hair!   I would have said it was blonde, but looking darker because the scene is at night in Alaric's Tower Room at Coroth.  And I'm not sure what an angry Gandalf is doing in Duncan's shiral-crystal vision  :D

quincydew

I'm sure its ment to be blond hair as you all mention. And yes, that is the cover in question.  It's just such a weird coincidence!!

Evie

Is it just me, or does the Duncan on that cover bear an unfortunate tesemblance to Alec Baldwin?  And not as he appeared years ago when he did The Hunt for Red October, alas, but the more current "too many Dunkin Donuts" version?  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Quote from: Evie on March 20, 2012, 07:53:43 PM
Is it just me, or does the Duncan on that cover bear an unfortunate tesemblance to Alec Baldwin?  And not as he appeared years ago when he did The Hunt for Red October, alas, but the more current "too many Dunkin Donuts" version?  ;D

Oh dear.  I'll never be able to look at this picture of Duncan quite the same way again!  ;D

Interesting, though, that I was reviewing the various versions of cover art for the Deryni books yesterday.  Quite a difference between the early cover styles and the current ones.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Shiral

Quote from: Alkari on March 20, 2012, 05:22:11 PM
Interesting - I would never have called that figure as having "red" hair!   I would have said it was blonde, but looking darker because the scene is at night in Alaric's Tower Room at Coroth.  And I'm not sure what an angry Gandalf is doing in Duncan's shiral-crystal vision  :D

I've wounded about that, too, Alkari! I suspect neither Loris NOR Gandalf would be pleased to resemble the other!  :D

Sigh.... Evie, why did you have to mention the Dunkin Donuts Alec Baldwin?  ;D I already think of them more as Duncan Donuts!

The Deryni books have had some.....questionable covers over the years!
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Quote from: quincydew on March 20, 2012, 04:27:57 PM
He bares remarkable resemblence to a real life Brion Corwyn, the first child named after KK's books. My copy was published in 2008, and I was wondering if the cover was indeed fashioned after the now adult Brion?

BTW, going back to what the original post said about Morgan's doppelganger, has the real life Brion Corwyn read KK's novels, and if so, do you happen to know if he likes them or not (and especially what he thinks about King Brion and/or the Duke of Corwyn)?

--WARNING!!!--

quincydew

I think his mother and KK may have had a close personal relationship, though I don't know any details. Brion is the one who told me about being named after the books just last week, and so I went out and got them. But sadly he admitted to never having read them himself. Though he did know that 'he' died in the prologue of the first book, he was able to tell me that the his other name survived longer. He was pretty amazed how much he looked like the cover as well. Hmmm...maybe I can find a pic of him to post here....i'll have to get his permission first.

Evie

That's pretty cool.  I hope you will enjoy the series, and that Brion ends up getting around to reading it eventually.  If the Deryni Rising movie ever gets made, maybe Brion can play Alaric Morgan and Alec Baldwin can play Duncan....   ;)

OK, I am so completely and totally joking, about Duncan's casting at any rate!  If they do cast Alec Baldwin as Dunkin Duncan, I shall be the first to throw myself on that spear/staff/pointy object that Gandalf/Loris is brandishing on that book cover!   ;D

(I wonder if I've just given Shiral nightmares?   ;D )

--WARNING!!!--

quincydew

can someone tell me how to upload photots on here??

Evie

You have to upload them someplace else like Flickr, Imageshack, or some other photo hosting website.  Once it is uploaded, copy the link to the photo and then click on the button above your message window that looks like a photo. Paste the URL (web address) between the brackets that appear.  Or some hosting sites will supply the message board code for you, and you can just copy and paste that.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Replied offlist, but forgot to add that you might want to either delete this post or at least modify your email address in it by adding in spaces so that spambots won't recognize it as an email address.

--WARNING!!!--

quincydew

Ok, I deleted that post, thank you for thinking of it. And I sent two pics, one blond, one red, in both he's heavier than I imagine Morgan, but the facial features are very similar, or maybe I'm just biased!   :)