• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 03:34:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 243
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 200
Total: 200
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

I found another fun project to add to my miniature bowls.

Beeswax projects by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Our friends were experimenting with making "medieval Saran wrap" tonight, which is basically linen circles and squares impregnated with beeswax and allowed to dry.  This creates a covering that can be shaped to fit over a container's opening using the warmth of one's hands to mold the fabric into shape, and then it can be secured in place by tying a string around it.  Of course, I had to make my own 1:6 versions using linen scraps. Here's a flat sample (the waxy circle) and one that is in use.  And since there was melted beeswax on hand, I tried dipping some candles also.  I tried using large jump rings as wick weights to pull the wicks taut, but they weren't heavy enough, hence the odd blobs at the bottom of each taper.  But I allowed some extra length for that, since I knew I'd need to cut the base of each taper off anyway to make them flat-bottomed after dipping.

Blobby candles by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here are the newly dipped candles before the blobby ends were trimmed off.  To accumulate the layers of wax, I dipped the coated wicks into a cup of cold water between each coat of hot wax.

Mini tapers by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here are the trimmed tapers.  I added a thin coating of wax around the wicks as well to help keep the strands of the wick string together, since it was plain ivory embroidery floss.  I may burn them for about a second or so each just to give them a blackened wick.  Hopefully I can do so without melting them too much.  Maybe I should freeze them first just to be on the safe side.  Each taper was rolled on the smooth countertop to help smooth and polish them a bit.  They are still slightly lumpy, but OK for a first attempt at mini-candlemaking, I suppose.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

More fun with quilling paper:

Small oval bowl by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I experimented with making an oval bowl with the remaining dark brown quilling paper, and used the glossy Mod Podge to give it a more "glazed pottery" look rather than the "turned wood" look of the previous bowls.

Brown and ivory bowl by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

More experimenting with paper pottery, this time adding a contrasting color for the rim of the bowl.  It's hard to tell from this photo, but I used the glossy Mod Podge on this bowl as well.

New Year's outfit by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I found a length of something called "stocking garland" on clearance in the Christmas ornaments section of Hobby Lobby, so I bought a roll of it and used some to make this winter white sweater dress.  A small length of sage linen selvage became a belt, and the necklace was cobbled together from some pearl trim and a gold jump ring.  This figure was meant to become Dowager Queen Jehana after I change her eye color, but she kept insisting her name is actually Johanna and that she wanted a nice, modern outfit, so I indulged her.   ;)  It took me about five days to finish that darn dress, despite it only consisting of two side seams and some hemming at neckline and hem, because I could only hand sew for about five to ten minutes at a stretch before the hand got too tired.  Looks like I'm going to break down and get a sewing machine with my Christmas money after all!   :-\  Oddly enough, the bowls are much easier for me to do, since most of the fiddly work can be done with my left hand, and it only takes a few seconds at a time to brush on the sealer afterwards.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

You continue to do the most amazing projects, Evie!  The bowls are wonderful, and I can easily picture the candles in Duncan's study.

I get the distinct impression from "Johanna" that she would much prefer the white party dress she is wearing to Jehanna's royal mourning white apparel with wimple and veil!   :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Duncan's study is exactly where I want to use those candles, so I'm glad you can easily picture them there!  :)

While I think that a wimple would definitely set off those high cheekbones, I suspect you're right that she'd prefer the more cozy looking sweater dress, at least once she outgrows her "pity party" stage of life.

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Wow, Evie. Those are really neat! They look so real. I'm glad you found something you can do that isn't too much of a strain.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Three of the Mini-Deryni went to an SCA event with me this weekend.

Enjoying a nice game of cardounet by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Richenda and Alaric enjoy a game of cardounet while Father Nivard looks on.

Feast time by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Duke Alaric and Duchess Richenda invite Father Nivard to join them for feast.  They are looking forward to trying the dessert tart!

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Who is in the picture on the wall, Evie?  It looks "little-sized".  A portrait of Duncan?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on January 05, 2014, 09:20:43 PM
Who is in the picture on the wall, Evie?  It looks "little-sized".  A portrait of Duncan?

No,  that's just happenstance and camera perspective.  Our event was held in the recreation and classroom building of a local Catholic church and school,  and that is a portrait of their priest that was hanging on a wall of the foyer where that picture was staged.  Though since you can't see his face,  feel free to pretend it's a portrait of Duncan.  The actual face in the picture would come closer to resembling Archbishop Cardiel.

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Evie, how do you do such fiddly things left-handed! They look amazing. I couldn't do them with two workable hands having as I say "two left hands". Will try and work out a way to post some pics of our 12th century church - a lovely background for Duncan. But am technically equally limited, tried to explain to the nice young man who is setting up our church website that left to myself I would still be calling the thing I listen to a wireless.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Thank you!  Actually, the major drawback with being mostly one-handed right now (and worse, that my good hand is my off hand) is that I'm not able to do most of the fiddly things that I'd like to be able to do, like the hand sewing for making costumes.  (Though Hubby found me a great sewing machine to spend my Christmas gift money on, which does all sorts of fancy embroidery-style stitches that will come in handy for doing fancy borders when I feel up to trying it out, so hopefully I will be able to sew a few more outfits soon without too much hand and arm strain.)  Fortunately, making the little bowls is a lot less complicated to do than they appear, and all I have to do with my right hand is hold the needle tool stationary while using my left hand to wind the paper strip around it.  And I really only need to hold the needle tool for a minute or two, because after that, the little whorl of paper becomes large enough for me to slip it off the needle and just hold it between right finger and thumb while I use the left hand to keep adding paper to the little "pinwheel."  Once the paper disk is big enough for the bowl I want to make, I just glue the end down and use my thumbs (or a small ball-shaped item) to push the center in a bit and make the bowl shape, then slather it with Mod Podge (which is a sort of glue or sealer that dries clear) so that it will keep its shape.  It's not nearly as fiddly as it looks, at least not after the first ten seconds or so.  The hardest thing about doing it is keeping it out of the range of my "helpful" cats, who think the paper strips are great fun to play with or chew on while I'm trying to wind them!

I would love to see some pics of your church, especially with it being from the right century for the Kelson-era characters!  If you need help figuring out how to upload photos, feel free to send me a PM and I can walk you through the process.

--WARNING!!!--

derynifanatic64

We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Evie

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on January 06, 2014, 06:52:39 PM
I bet Richenda kicked Alaric's butt in that chess game. ;D

Hard to say, DF.  Since the cardounet pieces aren't the standard shapes I'm used to seeing for chess pieces, I'm not certain who won that match.   :)

So, for those of you who are interested in seeing what Santa got me and the littles for Christmas, here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Sewing-Machine-Model-H74/dp/B00BUYOB78

Fortunately, the local Tuesday Morning store had it on clearance for far less than the Amazon price (even the lowest listed price for a used refurbished one!), so even though I only had $150 in Christmas money, I was able to get it.  Actually, DH picked it up for me, since he spotted it on sale on one of the days when my arm was aching too badly to go out shopping for myself.  It seems to do pretty much everything besides cook dinner and wash dishes.  I'm looking forward to trying out the fancy embroidery stitches when the arm is feeling up to putting it through its paces.

And speaking of the arm, my doctor is trying to schedule an appointment for an MRI so we can see exactly what is going on with that, so hopefully I'll know more very soon about exactly what's causing all this pain and what the treatment options for it are.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Congratulations on the new sewing machine. I look forward to seeing what you sew.

When sewing any of the machine embroideries, I have found that backing your good fabric with the sticky water soluble embroidery stabilizer allows the machine to sew straight and smooth without having to manhandle the fabric while your sewing.  Just place the fabric over the sticky stabilizer, sew the embroideries, and then wash the stabilizer away in running water.  The stiffness of the stabilizer should help you sew left handed and hopefully save your right arm from having to guide the fabric straight.

Enjoy your new toy. 
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

I have heard that before about using the stabilizer to do machine embroidery.  I don't have any on hand yet, but I'll be sure to pick some up next time I'm at a store that sells it.  Thanks for the tip!

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Quote from: Evie on January 08, 2014, 04:26:14 PM
It seems to do pretty much everything besides cook dinner and wash dishes. 

COOL! So it does laundry, too? I gotta get one those!  ;D
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc