• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:08:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 107
Total: 107
Google (AdSense) (3)
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on December 12, 2013, 11:18:20 PM
Quote from: Evie on December 12, 2013, 09:32:23 AMAnd is the Dowager Queen Jehana eating some odd puffy substance from a red and white striped bag? 

Kelson will probably mutter something under his breath about his stepfather-to-be.

Hm, I wonder how much a Patrick Stewart/Captain Picard 12" action figure is going for these days?  Or at least his head.  Patrick Stewart would make an excellent Barrett....   :D

(No, no, no, I do NOT need more Deryni action figures!!!!!  *grumble*)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Mihall meets Jashana by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here are Mihall and Jashana, photographed together for the first time.  Mihall's ultra-fair skin is hard to photograph--the flash tends to bounce off it and make it look even paler than it is--so I had to do some color adjusting of this photo to add a bit of warmth back to his skintone.  This makes Jashana's more olive complexion look like she's spent a nice day at the beach, or at least has been spending a lot of time outdoors touring her new husband's island kingdom.

Mihall still needs pale green eyes and more Llyrian looking clothing, and Jashana needs her Arilan blue-violet eyes, but she wanted to show off her pretty new belt.

Denis and Jashana by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Bishop Denis enjoys a lunchtime reading break with a beautiful brunette hanging on his arm.  Of course,  she's his niece,  so that's perfectly all right.

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on December 13, 2013, 12:27:18 PM
You look like you have Duncan in modern clericals.

That's Denis, but yes, he's in modern clothing.  He seems to prefer wearing modern clothing when he's not doing a Deryni story photoshoot, for some reason.   Maybe he thinks it's more practical?  The trousers he's currently wearing have nice roomy pockets, so maybe that's why he likes them.   No pockets in a medieval cassock....  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on December 13, 2013, 12:34:17 PM
That's Denis, but yes, he's in modern clothing.  He seems to prefer wearing modern clothing when he's not doing a Deryni story photoshoot, for some reason.   Maybe he thinks it's more practical?  The trousers he's currently wearing have nice roomy pockets, so maybe that's why he likes them.   No pockets in a medieval cassock....  ;D

Perhaps you should tell him some of the things going on in the modern church.  Women priests.  Married priests.  Women bishops.  At least one woman PRIMATE.  He'd have apoplexy!

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on December 13, 2013, 04:33:04 PM
Quote from: Evie on December 13, 2013, 12:34:17 PM

Perhaps you should tell him some of the things going on in the modern church.  Women priests.  Married priests.  Women bishops.  At one woman PRIMATE.  He'd have apoplexy!

* Evie keeps Denis facing away from the monitor so he can remain blissfully unaware and we can have a peaceful drive home.   :)

Let's not give him heart failure from culture shock.  He's still getting used to the idea of women going out in public wearing knee-high or even thigh-high skirt hems and high heels.   His niece is already wearing scandalously revealing clothing according to what he's accustomed to, and he's been dealing with it by muttering to himself "That's normal clothing for Llyr...that's normal clothing for Llyr...Perfectly modest by their standards...." the entire day.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Nothing much has been happening on this front lately because doing anything involving use of my right hand or arm is uncomfortable at best and painful at worst, but a few of the littles are on holiday with me this week, and today Duncan and Helena had a chance to visit an Irish pub in Nashville with me.

Duncan and Helena visit an Irish pub by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

While waiting on our dinner (the "Irish Sampler"), they decided to play a friendly game of darts.

After the game, they rested a bit while we waited for the food to arrive.

I forgot to take the "before" picture of the food,so all you can see here is the aftermath.  The small bowls originally contained sample sizes of Shepherd's Pie, a lamb stew, and a beef and Guinness stew, if I remember correctly, with sides of mashed potatoes and cabbage.  We also had some Scotch Eggs.  Yum!

Here is a closer view of that chest they were sitting on earlier:

Christmas 1:6 goodies by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Kelson says it will make an excellent strongbox for him, but it's actually a doll chest my husband found and gave me for Christmas.  Here's a picture of the inside:

It has a ribbon "seat belt" to secure the littles inside (as you can see, it can fit two comfortably), and it has a loop to hold hanging clothes and a drawer for small accessories.

I found a few other goodies while out shopping tonight.

In addition to the miniature dartboard set that I found earlier this week, tonight I found miniature buttons, some miniature gold buckles, and a length of satin ribbon with a labyrinth motif woven into it.  The ribbon is reversible, and each labyrinth is slightly different.  I am thinking of framing it with black bias tape so that both sides of the ribbon can be seen but the edges are nicely bound, and then using it as a table runner or wall hanging.  The labyrinths can double as Deryni staring patterns.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Merry Christmas Evie.  I love the photo of Duncan and Helena holding the darts. Looks like you and all had a good vacation. I am wishing you the quickest way for you to heal your shoulder. I hope the pain eases up soon.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

The doll chest was a very nice Christmas find by DH!

Watched an episode of Father Brown last night, and when the good Father picked up the darts in the pub, the entire room cleared out!  I hope Duncan and Helena didn't cause the same reaction!   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Thanks!  I'm on a muscle reliever now that at least helps me sleep through most of the night, so that helps.  Our  host is a nurse practitioner, and after examining exactly where the twinges are, he thinks I have a case of tendonitis that is causing the hand and upper arm pain, and unfortunately those never fully go away no matter what meds I take, so I am just trying to go easy on that arm while at the same time trying to exercise it enough to keep the shoulder from freezing, all while trying not to aggravate the original rotator cuff injury.  Argh!

No one cleared the room when Duncan and Helena took up the darts, though since Duncan at least is a trained warrior, hopefully he at least can hit what he's aiming at.  Though he does seem to be using large lawn darts on a small board, so that can't be helping.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on December 29, 2013, 10:17:48 PM
How good is Helena at darts? 

It was her first time to throw darts, but fortunately she's a fast learner, and having finely honed Deryni senses doesn't hurt.   :)

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

So I finally found a craft I can do without my hands hurting!  I have made little bowls out of quilling paper.  I haven't decided yet if they look more like turned wood or turned pottery.   Here was my first attempt at making a bowl:

Turned wooden bowl made of quilling paper by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This is closest to the paper's true color.  I purchased a package of brown/tan/ivory colors of quilling paper strips for this experiment.  This one bowl used all of the strips of this shade of brown contained in the pack.  I started out by winding one end of the first strip around a needle pointed quilling tool with a tiny drop of glue to keep the first loop taut, then kept spiraling the strip until I had a flat disk about the size of the head of a large thumbtack.  I added another tiny drop of glue near the end of that spiral strip to hold it together, leaving a few millimeters free to tuck the end of the next strip under, secured that end with another tiny drop of glue, then continued the spiral, adding in more strips until I had a disk about an inch and a half in diameter.

The flash really makes this look much more yellow than brown, but I wanted to get a decent side view.  After gluing the last free end down, I carefully began shaping the bowl over various spherical objects, looking for one that was the right size to make a good bowl.  I finally found a finial on the neck of a dressmaker's dummy that was a perfect size to form the bowl.  I tried flattening the bottom of the bowl afterwards just a tiny bit so that it would sit on a flat surface properly.  I ended up with the bowl having a slight tilt, but it's not too bad.  Live and learn.

The little hole at the center bottom is still visible, but it looks larger in these photos than it appears when viewed in person.   If I decide the bowls look more like pottery, I might mix a bit of black paint into watered down Mod Podge and brush it over the bowls like a glaze to accentuate the ridges.  (Gloss Mod Podge would look more like a glaze, though I guess I could do it with matte Mod Podge to add more shadows to the bowl if I decide to go with a more turned wood look.)  The colored glaze should also hopefully close up the tiny hole left by the needle tool.

Top view

The underside, under natural lighting, with a strip of unwound quilling paper nearby.  (The strip is in a slightly different shade of brown.)

Top view in natural lighting.  The handle of the needle tool is helpful for flattening out the bottom of the bowl after the sides have been shaped.

Here's Helena holding the finished bowl after the paper was coated on both sides with two coats of matte Mod Podge to glue all the paper layers into place.  The resulting bowl is lightweight but fairly sturdy, something like a plastic Barbie bowl in feel.

Smaller bowl by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

After making the first bowl, I made a smaller one, using the inside of a large melon baller as a mold for the outside of the bowl, and a smaller sphere to help shape the inside of the bowl.  This time, I turned the bowl upside down and lightly tapped the bottom with the end of the needle tool to flatten it, put it upright on the kitchen counter and used another flat surface to rest gently on top of the bowl to try to make the second bowl more level than the first.  This seemed to work pretty well.    Once it looked right, I used the Mod Podge again to preserve the shape.

Tomorrow I want to experiment with making an oval bowl or shallow tray, and also with using contrasting colors and glossy Mod Podge for a two-tone glazed pottery look.

The beauty of this craft is that I was able to do nearly all of the work with my left hand, so it didn't aggravate my tendonitis.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on December 29, 2013, 02:29:06 PM
Our  host is a nurse practitioner, and after examining exactly where the twinges are, he thinks I have a case of tendonitis that is causing the hand and upper arm pain, and unfortunately those never fully go away no matter what meds I take, so I am just trying to go easy on that arm while at the same time trying to exercise it enough to keep the shoulder from freezing, all while trying not to aggravate the original rotator cuff injury.  Argh!

Chiropractic and acupuncture.

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on December 29, 2013, 10:40:02 PMIt was her first time to throw darts, but fortunately she's a fast learner, and having finely honed Deryni senses doesn't hurt.   :)

Using Deryni telekenisis against a human competitor would be cheating, but when one's opponent is a fellow-Deryni, I guess it is OK.