• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

DoctorM

Today at 01:05:12 PM
Congratulations on graduation, Marc!
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,620
  • Total Topics: 2,741
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63
Sogou
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 11:08:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on November 12, 2013, 10:16:48 PM

Rhys' new shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I was worried about transporting Rhys in my craft bag because I didn't want to risk messing up his mohair wig,  so Duncan is acting as my shoe model tonight.

You can just see the tips of the new shoes peeking out from underneath the hem of his cassock....

And here are the new shoes!  I left the laces long so they could be used for cross-gartering, though they could also be tied off at the ankle and cut short.

Untitled by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And here's Rhys wearing them at last!

What a handsome pair!

Don't want to think of the disasters that might happen if Duncan tried to rollerskate hiss way through Mass. Especially not if he was the one holding the incense thingy!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

Quote from: Shiral on November 15, 2013, 06:59:50 PM

Don't want to think of the disasters that might happen if Duncan tried to rollerskate hiss way through Mass. Especially not if he was the one holding the incense thingy!

Melissa

They wouldn't have roller skates, of course, but would Gwynnedd have ice skates? 

Laurna

Evie, I love the shoes!
The idea of medieval rollerskating is making me laugh.  I'm not sure when the ball-barrings in wheels was invented, but the thought of skating on dirt roads or cobbled streets is making my knees ache.  :o
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Medieval wheeled skates are funny to imagine,  though ice skates go way back and might conceivably be found in Gwynnedd
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Wikipedia research-as early as 3000BC Norwegians strapped bones to their shoes to walk on ice.  In the 13th century the dutch first added metal blades with edges to cut into the ice.  So I'm afraid Alaric and Richenda will not be Ice-skating in Lendour. Well, at least not taking that romantic stroll around a frozen lake. Although their great grand kids might.

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on November 16, 2013, 01:29:07 AM
Wikipedia research-as early as 3000BC Norwegians strapped bones to their shoes to walk on ice.  In the 13th century the dutch first added metal blades with edges to cut into the ice.  So I'm afraid Alaric and Richenda will not be Ice-skating in Lendour. Well, at least not taking that romantic stroll around a frozen lake. Although their great grand kids might.

Drat...and just when I found a tutorial for making miniature ice skates!  Though the tech in KK's Deryni world is fairly "elastic," as are her clothing styles, so something invented in the 13th Century still has a chance of being found in 11th Century Gwynnedd. 

And now for today's update:

Fabrics from Laurna by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I got a surprise package from Laurna today...goodies for the Mini-Deryni!  Here are an assortment of fabrics, including some silks and velvet, and some small clothes that used to belong to an Aragorn figure.  (Yes, that's meant to be an uncommonly unattractive version of Aragorn's head you see there on the left!)

Alaric is trying to claim the black fabrics, while Richenda is trying to hide them from him.  Here you see a (very thin!) bedroll, sword, scabbard, belt, and Aragorn's severed head.  He may become a background figure if I find a compatible body for him. There is also some white silk suitable for veils, undershirts, or chemises.

Here's a pair of green boots that are somewhat inconveniently sewn to the trousers above them, though that's easy enough to fix.  I might use them as-is or else see if I can use them to make a pattern for more boots.

Some blue sari fabric with a small print that I think would make a nice overgown or tunic.  The lower edge (selvedge?) has a black border.

I thought I had a closer view of those autumn-palette silks and the nice selection of greens, but I guess I forgot to take those pics before putting the fabric back in the box.   I can see those colors looking really nice on my red-haired Borderers, though, especially the plaid which just handily happens to be in the green/black/white colors of the McLain clan.   ;D  Maybe I can get a closer view of those later, because they're all quite lovely.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

What a lovely package of treasures!  Put the severed Aragorn head on a stick and he will fit right in!  ;D

I'm liking the green coat in the middle, and the sword is awesome. (Hopefully it has nothing to do with the severed head.)

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

LOL!  Well, if that sword was used to sever the head, at least the blade has been wiped clean afterwards....   ;D

Duncan tries on Aragorn's clothes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's Duncan wearing Aragorn's cast off clothing.  On second thought, I quite like the fit of the onesies-style "trews and undershirt," despite it not being at all medieval looking when worn by itself, so I may end up keeping it together rather than picking it apart at the seams to turn into separate pieces.  I suspect Duncan's Evo body is just a little bigger than the original Aragorn figure that wore this outfit, because it is a very snug fit.  The outfit is meant to look travel-stained, so that's why the legs and boots look muddy.

Duncan tries on Aragorn's clothes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's a close-up of the boots.  I still want to try to use this to make a pattern for more action figure boots.

Borrowed clothes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Duncan adds the jerkin and jacket over the undershirt/trews combo and belts on his sword.  The blade is a little bit too flexible, but as long as it's kept in the scabbard, you can't tell.  The outer garments are travel-stained to match the boots and trews.  All in all, I think this outfit will work fine for those occasional long trips from Rhemuth to Corwyn or Cassan.  He can't always wear cassocks and Court gear, after all!  Or maybe Jass will inherit it someday, since he'll need clothing once I make him, and I can imagine Jass getting travel-stained quite often on those trips between Transha and Cassan, or between Dhugal's lands and Kelson's Court.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Love the cloths on Duncan. He looks like he has slipped on the rock falls south of Dhassa while he and Alaric were trying to sneak into the city by the back trail. ;D

I had two Aragon's that got beheaded. "Eeek! What a scary face!" Is what I said when I first opened the action figure box. I was unwilling to look at that face, so I chose to follow in the Littles path--body swapping.  I really loved the action figure bodies; Washburn and Muir got those. Hah!
I did wash the one set of clothes I kept to get the mud look off. They mostly came clean, except on the boots. That is literally painted on dirt. Anyway I thought you might be able to use the second set of clothes. Glad to see someone can wear it.

So lesson learned. If you want a 12" Aragorn, don't buy the action figure, get the barbie Ken doll instead. I did buy that one and I must say, he is good looking. He will not get beheaded. :D

Evie

I had my first physical therapy appointment today for my arm and shoulder pain (I had a recent injury of my right rotator cuff, for those of you who aren't at Sunday chats and therefore might not know about this, and this has affected nearly everything that I do because I'm right-handed), and I have been told to avoid repetitive motions.  So I asked if that included hand sewing.  ("Well, duh!" you're probably saying, but this is me in denial!)  The physical therapist asked if I thought I could go without hand sewing for at least six weeks.  At my alarmed look ("But Christmas holiday is coming up, and I wanted to get some crafts done on my time off!"), she modified that by saying I could do some occasional sewing, but need to take a few days off for every day I spend using my hands on something like that.  Naturally this includes any sort of repetitive motion, including typing (but not much way I can avoid typing altogether, since I have a job to do).  So I haz a sad.   :'(

So, I guess I just need to find creative outlets I can do quickly and easily and without a lot of repetitive motion.  Fortunately I've recently discovered the wonders of quick-drying fabric glue....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Six Weeks!  Ooch!
Take care of your shoulder. Don't overdue on the repetitive stuff. Time to get all that reading in that you wanted to do. You can try doing stuff left handed, it's not entirely impossible. Too bad your sewing machine is defunct; I mostly guide the fabric with my left hand and keep my  right hand free. I also know how to type with my left hand only, I have to do it for work, but I am really slooowww... but that did come in handy when I had broken my right wrist four years ago. It took seven weeks to heal that too.

I know, set up some photo stories of the Littles. That should not be too repetitive.

Jerusha

Yikes!  Too bad mini-Rhys isn't a real Healer!

Given that most of my hobbies involve repetitive motion of some kind, I deeply sympathize.  It's most important to let your shoulder heal though, in spite of the frustration.

I agree with Laurna - time to do some of those mini stories you've been thinking of!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

I thought about working on the photostories.   Main problem is that those require props and sets, and making those things often involves repetitive motion as well.   Though maybe I can think of something that can be done with the one wall and odd bits I've already got.  I also have the foam to make more walls with, but I still need to etch the "stone" blocks into them, and again that's hand work.  But maybe that can all be done in one weekend afternoon, and then I can go easy on that arm for the next several days afterwards.  Painting also involved repetitive motion, but the sort of painting I would need to do on those walls could be done with a sponge and my left hand, if need be.  It doesn't involve any sort of fine detailing.  I'd be more likely to hurt my right arm again from shooing Luke off the wet paint rather than from the painting itself.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Evie, sometimes I think you spend as much time shooing Luke away from your projects as you do on the projects themselves, LOL.  ;)  That cat is the king of snoopervision.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

He's a lap potato, and he thinks anything that comes between him and me is something that needs to be thoroughly investigated and, if it's comfortable enough, sat upon.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--