• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 04:20:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 243
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 192
Total: 192

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: Aerlys on November 11, 2013, 03:01:19 PM
And then, take a break and join Rhys for pint or two (nice touch  :) ).

The irony is, I don't even like beer!   ;D  But if that's a cider, I might partake of a few sips.  Not sure if I can have any with my meds right now, though.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

Nicely done, Evie!  I especially like the belt - but then anything "jeweled" tends to catch my attention.  ;)

Hope your shoulder is better soon. 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

New Healer's Badge cloak clasp by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here is a closer view of the new cloak pin.  It is zoomed in to larger than actual size, so you can see the details more clearly.  I like how the gold thread wound around the outside of the pin back looks like engraved gold framing the "enameled" brooch at this scale.

New shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Evaine got a pair of new shoes today based on a period Celtic shoe pattern.  The shoes are cut from faux leather and laced with blue to match the overgown and jeweled belt.

Closer view of shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I used a period shoe pattern I found online to make these, resizing the pattern in Gimp to fit her foot size.  The front portion of the shoe is a semi-circle of flaps that are joined together by the lacing to cover the front of the foot.  Rather than trying to sew the miniature back seams, I used a few dabs of Fabri-Tac glue to hold the heel end together.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

New shoes cut out by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

No, these aren't autumn leaves.  These are some larger shoes cut out using the same pattern I used to make Evaine's shoes, only resized to fit Rhys' larger foot.  What you're looking at is the faux leather surface that will end up on the outside of the shoes.  The two sides of each heel (lower edge) will fold over the rear tab.  In a human sized shoe, this would be stitched together, but at this scale it is much easier (and faster) to use Fabri-Tac fabric glue to secure it.  Then I'll find a suitable shoelace (for these, I think it will be very thin leather lacing) to string through the tip of each little cut tab, starting at one of the thumb-shaped pieces, working around the fringed tabs at the front of the shoe next, then ending up going through the thumb-shaped bit on the other side of the shoe.  When the lacing is pulled taut, this will draw the front portion of the shoe into a soft cup enclosing his toes and the front part of his foot.  The two ends of the lacing will stick out from the "thumbs" and will be tied together at the front of the ankle.

The resulting shoes should end up looking similar in shape to these:

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on November 11, 2013, 03:04:28 PMThe irony is, I don't even like beer!   ;D  But if that's a cider, I might partake of a few sips.  Not sure if I can have any with my meds right now, though.

Interesting.  I don't like beer either I've been trying off and on since I was about 16, but have never found one I liked---and if I did, it would be either horribly expensive or dreadfully hard to find, if not both, so I've given up.  I do like cider, though.

I don't like whiskey, either, but I do like brandy, so I suspect that it may be the difference between grain alcohol and fruit alcohol.

Evie

Rhys' new shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I was worried about transporting Rhys in my craft bag because I didn't want to risk messing up his mohair wig,  so Duncan is acting as my shoe model tonight.

You can just see the tips of the new shoes peeking out from underneath the hem of his cassock....

And here are the new shoes!  I left the laces long so they could be used for cross-gartering, though they could also be tied off at the ankle and cut short.

Untitled by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And here's Rhys wearing them at last!

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on November 12, 2013, 10:15:13 PM
Quote from: Evie on November 11, 2013, 03:04:28 PMThe irony is, I don't even like beer!   ;D  But if that's a cider, I might partake of a few sips.  Not sure if I can have any with my meds right now, though.

Interesting.  I don't like beer either I've been trying off and on since I was about 16, but have never found one I liked---and if I did, it would be either horribly expensive or dreadfully hard to find, if not both, so I've given up.  I do like cider, though.

I don't like whiskey, either, but I do like brandy, so I suspect that it may be the difference between grain alcohol and fruit alcohol.

That could well be it.  I like cider and sweet wines, but don't like dry beverages.   And I've only found one whiskey that I can stomach tiny sips of, and it's some sort of a honey-flavored whiskey.  Not something I'd seek out, but it was OK.  But I do like mead, which is honey-based, and tej, which is an Ethiopian honey wine. 

And alcohol in any amount is not something I have any desire for in great quantity.  I have an occasional glass (or cider bottle) with a meal maybe once or twice a month at most, and I cook with wine on occasion (especially if making homemade spaghetti sauce!), but that's about it.  My weakness is a Classic Coke or Sam's Choice cola.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Oops, Evie, I'd forgotten that you don't like beer.

The pint that Rhys was holding would be too light for me. If I do drink beer, it has to be a DARK, strong stout. Coors, Miller, Budweiser -- no thanks! And IPA's taste like skunk juice, IMHO. I especially like either a Russian Imperial or oatmeal stout. They seem to have a nice balance of bitterness with a touch of sweet. However, they are not something I'll have very often. Like you, Evie, I enjoy my alcohol in moderation.

I also like red wines, like merlot and shriaz, and extra-dark chocolate. I suppose it's the bitterness that appeals to me. Or, maybe it's my Irish and Italian genes. I do enjoy the occasional brandy, too. Cider, however, is just too sweet for my tastes.

Oh, and now that I wandered off-topic, I should add that Rhys and Evaine look quite fabulous, dahling.

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Thank you, dahling!  Though now Duncan wants little Celtic shoes of his own.   :D

I don't tend to like bitter things, though when it comes to chocolate, I do prefer the dark chocolates over the light ones.  I'm not crazy about the super-extra-dark sort (the "97% cocoa" with just barely enough sugar to prevent it from being unsweetened baking chocolate), but I love the whole semi-sweet range of darks below that one.   But I just want my wines to be sweet and taste like they used to be fruit rather than flavored paint thinner.  Red wine is fine, if it's sweet like Roscato (a red moscato) and not heavy on the tannins.  To me, Roscato tastes like grapes, berries, and sunlight...Yum!  Tannins are in tea also, and I love me some sweet iced tea, but even so, I prefer teas that don't have a strong tannin flavor.  Brewed properly, they shouldn't, at least in my book.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

They make such a handsome couple, Evie!  Well done!

For myself, I prefer dry white wines, versus anything sweet.  I keep hoping that Duke Matyas' vineyards in Komnene produce a nice chardonney.  The Eleven Kingdoms need an alternative to Fianna (excellent though it is!)   ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Helena's shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Helena finally has some new shoes to go with her outfit.

Helena's shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here are her little feet.  I think miniature shoes are adorable!  <3

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

As the old Scotsman said, if we all liked the same thing there would be a dreadful shortage of haggis.

Evie

Today's lunchtime project:

Duncan gets his own shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

There is something addictive about making tiny shoes.  Or maybe it's just that they're quick and easy to make, and don't make my injured shoulder hurt from doing too much hand work, so I feel more inclined to make them.

Duncan gets his own shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Duncan shows off his new footwear proudly.  These have slightly shorter laces than Rhys' shoes, so they look better tied around the ankle rather than up the whole lower leg.  And when he stands, all you can see peeking out from under the cassock hem are the toes of the shoes anyway, although I need to make him some proper episcopal sandals to wear with his vestments.  These can serve for his "everyday clothing" shoes.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Duncan reminds me of one of my sons showing off his first pair of roller blades.  Without the cassock, of course.  ;)

-- Old English Litany

Evie

LOL at the sudden mental picture of Duncan wearing roller blades with his cassock!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--