• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:47:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 102
Total: 102
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Mihall and Petite Meraude by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here is Petite Meraude standing next to Mihall.  There is a slight downhill slope, so Meraude looks slightly shorter compared to Mihall than she actually is, but not very much more.  On level ground she might look about a centimeter higher when standing next to him, but I couldn't find a level enough surface to get them both to stand on their own, so they are propped against a bush on a slight slope.  Once I make an undergown and gown for her, she should look a little broader in the shoulder, and cinching in the waist with a belt will help show off her petite curves.  I might be able to put slightly thicker than normal soles on some shoes for her to give her a slight boost under her long skirts, but I don't want to go too crazy with it since I want her to be able to stand upright easily even with shoes on. 

Doing a bit of measuring and math, I would say Mihall would be the equivalent of a 6' tall man, and Meraude would stand just a smidge under 5' tall--maybe around 4'10" or 4'11"--since the doll is about 1/16" short of being 10" tall, and the conversion from 1:6 scale is six real world inches for every inch of doll height.  So this is what my mother looks like when she stands next to my husband, at least if she's just a tiny bit downhill from him.   No wonder she calls me "tall," even though I'm just short of 5'5", and she gets me to get things out of the top cupboards for her when I'm visiting her house.   LOL!   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Meraude finds a gown to wear by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I found the tiny gown I made for my 27 cm Obitsu some time ago,  so that now belongs to Meraude. She opted to keep wearing the sundress over it until I can make her a more suitable overgown in Nigel's colors. She says it looks a little bit like a Viking woman's apron dress.  I suspect the ladies of the Nordlands have never seen anything quite like it either;  but who am I to argue with a duchess?

I need to shorten the underdress by about half an inch or slightly more.  If it's half an inch shorter, it will just touch the ground when she stands in it.  If I raise the hem just a tiny bit above that, it will come to the tops of her shoes.  I think I'll wait until she's got a proper overgown for it and then decide what would look best.

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Meraude is a lovely, diminutive duchess!

Heh, I like the sewing machine in the background with the screwdrivers. Is this the malfunctioning one you mentioned before? Kind of resembles mine, though I'd be more inclined to use a hammer!

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Yes,  that's the malfunctioning monstrosity,  and at this point I suppose a hammer wouldn't do it much more harm.    :P

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

I love, love, love my sewing machines. All fourteen of them.  I have regular ones. surging ones. embroidery ones. Several antique treadles and even an antique hand crank one.  I was sewing Merlina's red gown today. Unfortunately, I have a lot of hand work to do because the barbies are so small.  That is why I love making full size costumes. Much easier to sew on the machine than hand sewing.  :P
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

You have FOURTEEN sewing machines?  LOL!  Where in the world do you have room to keep them all?  Or do you have a dedicated sewing room?

QuoteMuch easier to sew on the machine than hand sewing.

I have the exact opposite experience.  I rarely ever have to rip out a seam due to doing it incorrectly if I've hand sewn it, because I can fully control where each stitch goes when I hand sew, so unless I do something dumb like putting the incorrect sides of the fabric together, there's no problem.  And even if I make that mistake, hand sewing is slow enough that I usually catch what I've done after I've only sewn an inch or two, well before I've finished the entire seam, so there's less to correct.  But I'm constantly having to rip out seams and start over again if I machine sew, which is frustrating.  And I'd almost swear that every bobbin feeder I've ever had is demon possessed and exists primarily to make me mutter words my Mama never taught me.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

QuoteI'd almost swear that every bobbin feeder I've ever had is demon possessed and exists primarily to make me mutter words my Mama never taught me.

Lol! If the timing is off at all, your just toast. The most expensive machine I ever had could not keep its timing for anything. One pin hit wrong and the machine was back to the shop. My sister sews professionally, I  sew for the pleasure of making pretty things to wear.  I have a sewing room and a second room full of fabric. That room looks like I'm a hoarder. Which I just might be.

Jerusha

My sewing machine and I have come to terms.  I do not stick pins into the machine, and it does not shred the thread and send pin shards throughout the room.  We won't comment on zippers.   ::)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Ribbon-Braided hair by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I bound Evaine's hair with blue ribbon tonight.  The elastic band in the top section of hair will be hidden under her veil and coronet, so I didn't bother removing it first.

Gartered stockings by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Evaine gets new stockings with blue ribbon garters.

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

When my mother died, she owned three sewing machines.  Hers, grandma's, and great-grandma's treadle machine (used as a hall table).  Father promptly sold all three.  I still have her button basket--containing buttons of all sizes, shapes, colors.  I can't bear to throw them out, although I don't know when I'm going to use most of them.

Laurna

Buttons are the perfect bit of art these days. Sew just one here or there on anything. If you wear a hat, put one on the hat band.  Sew a favorite into your wallet for love.
Don't over do it, just pick one or two that give a loving vibe.
Buttons are fun to play with. Glue a few onto a picture frame to decorate the corners like a boutique. Get out a big one and tie it to a string, then let little Rupert chase it around the room.
Then put the basket away and save it for another day. Some things are worth holding on to. This comes from my hoarding soul. Some of the littlest things in life can really bring out a memory or a smile. Make that memory a good one. One that will hold that smile for a goodly amount of time.

Laurna

Evie
I like Evaine's hair done back. I like the two coils done together.

Aerlys

I agree. Evaine's hair is very pretty. Don't let DD1 see it, though, or I'll be wrestling with that do the next morning!

And I love buttons! Laurna's ideas are great. When I was young, I'd take out my mom's jars of buttons (separated by color) and look through them. The different colors, shapes and materials were fun to explore. Now my daughters collect them. It's actually a common hobby, and there are some button clubs out there. 
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

I've managed to get a shoulder injury which has decreased my energy and desire to do any crafts that require using my right hand for any major length of time (and I'm right-handed), but despite that, I got a few small tasks done this weekend:

Belt and revised Healer's badge by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I need to get a better photo uploaded, but this should give some idea of the latest projects.  Evaine has a new silver belt with blue jewels set into it, and Rhys has a new Healer's badge cloak clasp.  I finally managed to find the round backed pins I needed for it in the tiny craft section at Big Lots, of all places!  I used glossy Mod Podge to glue the color copied badge onto it, leaving a small circle of bare metal around it to frame the emblem, then Mod Podged over the paper emblem, let it dry halfway, then wound very thin metallic gold thread around the emblem to make a nice gold frame for it.  I coated the entire badge with another thin coat of Mod Podge to finish it off and secure the gold thread.  I was going for an "enameled brooch inset in gold frame" look, and think it turned out well.  And now to work on those shoes!

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Quote from: Evie on November 11, 2013, 09:10:38 AM
I've managed to get a shoulder injury which has decreased my energy and desire to do any crafts that require using my right hand for any major length of time (and I'm right-handed)...

Oh no, Evie! I noticed the thread had become unusually quiet. I hope you recover soon. Still, you've accomplished a lot, despite your injury. As always, the mini-Deryni are looking very nice. The new Healer's badge is definitely an improvement, but yes, do get that man some shoes! He can't go squidging around Gwynedd barefoot in the muck.  :P

And then, take a break and join Rhys for pint or two (nice touch  :) ).

Hilaire Belloc