• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 86
Total: 87

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

LOL!  No problem, Aerlys.  I live with two smart-aleck teens, so I automatically translated that as a joke.   :)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

Speaking of smart-alec teens, I once read about a fifteen-year-old who told his father he didn't like the hymns at church; he thought they were dull, boring, old-fashioned, and didn't speak to his condition.  His father said, "Well, write some you like better!"  The boy took some writing materials into his room and did just that; his name?  Isaac Watts! 

Evie

Tunic for Rhys by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Today at lunch I cut out a tunic for Rhys.  The darker color shows the inside (wrong side) of the fabric, and the lighter color on the neck facing and side gussets is what the entire tunic will look like once it is sewn together.  I decided the lightweight gold silk was a little bit too gold for the entire tunic (plus I wanted a little more contrast between the tunic and the mantle lining), so I plan to use just a small bit of the silk at the collar and cuffs for a decorative element.  I'll probably use the silk as background fabric for couched embroidery in those areas. 

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

DesertRose

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Looks good Evie. Can not wait to see it all together.  Did you dye any of his hair yet? I'm curious how that is going to turn out.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

I haven't managed to get any dye for his hair yet.  But I did get his tunic finished today:

Rhys tries on the new tunic by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

It's not hemmed yet, but he's trying it on to check the fit.  He's also discovered the joys of a good meat-lover's pizza.   :D  The friend we are staying with this weekend has some miniature buckles, so I'm about to make him a belt to match his tunic.

We're in TN again this weekend.  If we're on the road for home during chat time, I'll try to log in via my phone, but I don't know for sure how the schedule will work out yet.

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Well, as I've said before, pizza isn't really that different from trencher-bread, is it?

Evie

Not too different, though the tomato sauce would be a novelty.

Here's Rhys wearing his new belt:

Rhys' new belt by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And visiting KK chat....

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

I just bought the dye for the mohair I'm using on his wig, so you'll see Rhys with his unruly red hair sometime soon.  I'm sure you'll all be as glad of that as he is!

But for now....

Here is my first attempt at making a belt for Rhys, using a buckle my friend in TN found in the scrapbooking section of her craft store.  It is a perfect size for the trim, but unfortunately, he won't get to keep this belt.  KK decided it looked a little bit too "matchy-matchy" with the tunic, so he will get a plain leather (or faux leather) belt instead, and this one will go to one of my other Mini-Deryni.

Trying on the braies by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Rhys tries on his new braies to check the fit before I sew the drawstring casing.  I took this photo at our SCA meeting, and after the meeting, one of the other members walked up to me, quite amused, and said that he wished he could have gotten his camera out in time, because from his vantage point across the room, he couldn't see exactly what I was taking pictures of.  From his viewpoint, he could just see me flipping up Rhys' tunic and taking what looked to be a very naughty picture!  Must learn to think before I click....    ;D

Trying on the full kit (so far) by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Rhys tries on the mantle with the tunic and a borrowed, non-matching leather belt to show me how the outfit is coming together so far.  I was planning to give the other belt (the one that matches this trim) to Alaric, since it has green, gold, and black in it, which are his heraldic colors, but Mihall seems to have claimed it for himself instead.  Maybe I can convince him to share.  The braies are long enough to peek out from under the tunic hem, which is fine (long braies are appropriate for this early in period).  Those white hems will soon be covered up by the chausses I'll make to cover his legs.  They are meant to tuck inside the tops of the chausses.

So that's it for now!  I'm hoping to be able to finish the braies at lunch today, and then I'll need to figure out how to make the chausses.  Fortunately legwear in early period was not very closely fitted (it was usually cross-gartered or wrapped with winingas to achieve a closer fit over the calves), and the foot covering wasn't necessarily attached, which will make fitting the chausses easier. Dyeing hair will need to wait until tonight at the earliest, but once the hair is dry, I'll start on the wig making as well.  I'm thinking Rhys the Healer needs a little medical kit too, but that might have to wait until the weekend.  And Rhys and Evaine both need shoes first before I go all crazy with the prop-making.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Evie I love how much fun you are having with this.
Great job  keep it up.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on October 16, 2013, 12:46:34 PM
Have I said before how much I envy your skill and patience?

I have two hyperactive teenaged children.  Action figures are a breeze in comparison.  I  nearly always know where they are and what they're up to, and they rarely talk back.   ;)

Seriously, any skill I have just comes from constant practice, not to mention a lot of trial and error, and as for patience, this is what I do to relax and unwind.  I spend my whole work day taking care of things for other people, and most of my evening taking care of family needs.  So my creative efforts are something I do in order to take care of me, to avoid mental and emotional burnout.  'Cuz if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!   :)

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Very nice work, Evie.  And just think, if you stab yourself with the needle, you have a Healer right there to take care of it!  ;)

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany