• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:26:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

LOL!    ;D

Actually, I haven't introduced Rhys to Evaine yet.  I think I ought to wait until he's got some clothes on first....   ;)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Aerlys

Didn't realize Rhys was so ripped!  ;D  You must have a mini-Deryni gym on the premises.

Need to get that hair under control, though. He looks like the spawn of either Bozo the Clown or Carrot Top.

But hopefully not both...

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Laurna

All that red unruly hair is making me think of Jass. Do you have a Jass yet?  If not save some hair for him. I really love Jass. I just finished reading Ailidh running off with Dhugal's men.  I love the scene with Dhugal absolutely furious with this girl. AH, just read the chapter where she finally agreeing to marry the poor besoughted Jass. He is going to have his hands full. About time she gave in. Tehehe. You definitely need a Jass Mini.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

LOL, Aerlys!  Actually, this style of action figure comes with interchangeable magnetic chest plates, and he happens to be wearing the more ripped version, since Duncan is using the other one.   So that's why it looks like Rhys does a lot more working out than you'd expect from a Healer.   ;)  If I have another chest plate in the alternate style, I'll give KK her choice of whichever she wants for Rhys and keep the other.

You'll be relieved to know that KK says Rhys keeps his unruly locks under control by tying them back in a neat queue at the nape of his neck, so hopefully that will help minimize any accidental resemblance to Carrot Top or Bozo.   ;D

Laurna, I've already got a possible Jass head and body, but I am thinking of customizing his hair before showing him off.  If I use the remaining mohair for him, though, I would definitely need to color it, since it's supposed to be dark with warm chestnut highlights.   (I searched the novels for a physical description of Jass and didn't find one, but that's the coloring I gave him in MoM.)   The head I've got set aside for him came with the "whiskey-colored" eyes, though.   For that matter, it comes with dark brown hair that has some auburn/chestnut glints to it, but I'm thinking that his original hair is too short, and I do like the look of those unruly mohair curls....  :)

An angry Dhugal was terrifying even to me, and I wrote that scene!  ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Here is Evaine wearing the finished undergown, and Rhys-to-be wearing borrowed clothing:

Evaine meets Proto-Rhys by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Mini-Evaine meets her future husband for the first time.  She had a Downy Dunk makeover last night to control some hair frizzies.  This entailed leaving her with her hair soaking in fabric softener overnight and rinsing it out today.  I still need to get some hair color for Rhys' wig.

Snoopervision by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Evaine and her husband-to-be have a furry chaperone.

And now I'm working on Evaine's overgown.  It's been cut out, Fray-checked, and the neckline facing has been sewn into place.  I'm currently working on hemming the sleeves.  Once I have the side seams in place, I'll take a photo of her wearing it and post another update.  It's coming along pretty quickly.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Checking overgown sleeve length by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The overgown has short sleeves, revealing the pattern on the undergown.  I think the ivory braid will set the outfit off perfectly.  The braided trim needs to be added before I do the side seams so that the cut ends will be sewn into the seam, preventing them from fraying.

Close up of trim on sleeve by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The scale of this trim is perfect for the outfit, and the ivory color echoes the background color of the undergown.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Unhemmed gown by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Doing the test fit of the new overgown.  It still needs to be hemmed, but I'll save that for tomorrow.  I can't decide whether to leave it as is, or add just a few pearls to it.  I think Evaine would go for something simple and elegant, yet she's also Lady Evaine, so that implies some show of rank in her apparel.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I think you have captured Evaine's hair perfectly, Evie.  She looks like KK described and every inch a high-born Deryni lady.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

Evaine always struck me as the no-fuss sort of lady, so simple and elegant is probably the way to go with her look.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Aerlys

I agree, Evaine looks wonderful! Upon consideration, pearls are also simple and elegant, so they would compliment both the gown, and the gentle lady, IMHO.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Elkhound

I like Rhy's borrowed outfit, although it doesn't look quite period.  (Looks more Indian or Persian to my inexpert eye?)

Evie

I'll see what sorts of stick-on jewels or mini-beads I have on hand.  I'm fairly sure I've got itty bitty pearls somewhere.  I also found out by flipping through my Codex last night that Camber's heraldic colors were red and blue, so tiny rubies and sapphires (or just the rubies, since the dress itself is blue) might also be appropriate for Camber's daughter to wear on her Court gown, or at least on a circlet worn over her veil.  Which reminds me...I need to make her some headgear.

Elkhound, the top that Rhys is wearing is quite European Medieval, though it probably doesn't look familiar to you because it's not meant to be outerwear, at least not as early in period as Rhys and Evaine would be.  It's a gambeson (sometimes also called an aketon), and is meant to be the padded under-layer worn under armor (either mail or plate), although in later periods it was also sometimes lined with small plates of armor and worn as outerwear.  It was part of the costuming for one of the Crusader-era 1:6 action figures by Ignite (in which set it was meant to be worn under the other layers), and the saffron trousers come from one of Ignite's Viking action figures.  Ignite produces historical action figures with some amazingly detailed and well researched costuming and accessories.  For instance, my Viking figure came with little Coppergate Boots based on some that were found during archaeological excavations in York.  Unfortunately, the figures tend to be pricey (not insanely pricey as celebrity based action figures sometimes go, but still higher than I'm usually in the market for), so I've only been able to buy one that was mint-in-box, but I keep my eye out for loose clothing and accessories from those figures on eBay and scoop them up whenever I can afford to.

If the top looks Indian or Persian to you, that's probably because warriors in Asia wore very similar sorts of padded garments to what the warriors in Europe wore during the time period (the word "aketon" is derived from Arabic), so a padded tunic shaped to a male torso from one part of the world is going to look very similar to a padded tunic shaped to a male torso made elsewhere.  Sometimes they would embellish them differently, though.  For instance, when dagged hems were in vogue in Western Europe, gambesons were often dagged as well.  You can see a variety of gambeson/aketon styles, both European and Eastern, at this website:  http://steel-mastery.com/en/padded-armour/gambesons

The trouser design isn't exactly right for that time period, I don't think, but this simplified version is probably easier to fit to a 1:6 scale figure than a more museum-quality one, and the other clothing items and accessories that came with that figure are historically spot on, so I don't mind them cheating a bit on details that are hidden under the rest of the wardrobe.  The gambeson came with an entire outfit that included braies and chausses, so I will probably use those to help me draft the patterns for Rhys' undies and leg coverings when I get to that point. 

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

The 'skirted' lower part, split in front, was what made it look Indian/Persian to me.  I've seen pictures of Indian gentlemen from the early 20th C. wearing jackets like that, over pyjama-like trousers (with a turban, and a sash with a curved sword or dagger thrust through it).

Evie

The slit in the front and rear of that fitted tunic make the garment less restrictive.  It's along the same lines as the side or rear slit in the bottom of a woman's fitted skirt, which allows her to walk with a natural stride rather than hobble.  In the case of period male fashions,  the slit also allowed him to sit a horse comfortably without having to pull the hem of the tunic up.   You'll notice medieval knights' surcoats are usually slit the same way

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound