• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,559
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 368
Total: 369
DoctorM
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 07:58:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Evie

They're usually pretty good about sharing things.   There are a few "signature" items that they don't share (or at least haven't shared yet), such as Richenda's green beaded gown and surcoat.  There's a blue velvet gown that I get the impression used to be Richenda's but has been passed on to Helena.  My bishops tend to share their vestments and cassocks interchangeably, and before John Nivard came along, Duncan used to wear that black cassock as well.  If I ever get a chance to expand their wardrobes, they'll have to share less often, but at the moment I'm only able to sew in bits and snatches.  If I did more machine sewing, I could grow their wardrobe more quickly, but our sewing machine died on DragonCon weekend, and neither of us use it enough to feel a need to replace it just yet.   (Hubby only sews once or twice a year, if he needs to make a con costume that can't be pulled together from clothing found at the Thrift Store, and I prefer hand sewing.)  Maybe if I find a low priced machine on clearance sale....
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Today's progress:

Evaine and Mihall discuss border options by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Evaine decides to get a man's opinion on what color of embroidered stitching her husband Rhys might want on his cloak.  Mihall suggests a very simple stitched border in white along the front edge of the green mantle, to echo the colors in the Healer badge. 

Sewing the mantle on by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Evaine uses a few temporary stitches to secure the mantle while Mihall teases her about the dagger sized needle she is using.  "Are you sure you know how to wield that thing?"

Hems in place by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The lining is hemmed and needs pressing with low heat so the curved hem will lie flat.  The outer hemline needs minor adjustments before it is permanently tacked in place.  Mihall has taken the supersized needle away from Evaine, cracking jokes about needing to disarm her for his own safety.

Yikes! by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Yikes!  When he said he was going to "disarm" her, he didn't mean it that way!   Um...Healer?!    :o

Well, we've always known Mihall can be rather disarming, haven't we?   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

An armed and dangerous Mihall of Llyr would be formidable indeed!  He'd have been trained in both Deryni and ordinary martial techniques from early childhood on, which would have given him some advantages over the average squire by the time he was fostered out to King Brion's court in his mid-teen years.  I suspect the fosterage wasn't so much to ensure he'd learn good fighting skills (though training under Prince Nigel certainly wouldn't have hurt matters!) as it was to help encourage a stronger relationship between the Court at Llyr and the Haldane Kings, and perhaps to also give Mihall a chance to meet some nice Gwyneddan ladies.  Intermarriage with mainlanders helps to bring fresh bloodlines into the island kingdom.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Oh, do I hear the ringings of a new plot coming on with Mihall as the lead. hint. hint.
Nice healers cloak. but do please rearm our Lady Evaine.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Lady Evaine has been rearmed.  'Twas but a flesh wound....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on September 27, 2013, 09:01:43 AM
Lady Evaine has been rearmed.  'Twas but a flesh wound....   ;D

It's SO handy to be married to a Healer. =o)

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

Makes me think of that scene in "Grimm" when Monroe, the reformed werewolf had to fight off a gang of thugs.  He let his furry friend out to play, and ripped one of his attacker's arms right out of his socket.  He said, "Ok, that was a little excessive."

Evie

Another update.  Rhys' mantle is nearly finished aside from needing a clasp, but I am waiting for feedback from his future owner as to where she wants me to put the Healer's badge.  It can either be incorporated into his clasp if he's going to wear the mantle with a shoulder clasp, or if he clasps it in front, it would be added on as a patch on the shoulder.

So while I await that answer, I began work on Evaine's undergown.  Here is the initial fitting.  As you can see, it is too loose on her, but I want to make it snug enough to skim her curves while remaining loose enough to slip on over her head without requiring a back slit and lacing or some other sort of closure.   After sewing on one side seam and doing a trial fit, I realized that the original cut would be far too loose, so I used some basting stitches to tack the sides together closer to her body.  These were just loose, temporary running stitches, since I wanted to make sure she'd be able to get in and out of the altered gown afterwards.

Fitting Evaine's undergown by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The original line of basting stitches was a little too snug, and I couldn't wiggle the gown off her afterwards.  So I took out the stitches from the waist up and redid the temporary stitching, altering the curve from waist to armpit.

This time, even though the waist area was still rather snug, she was able to slide her shoulders through them with her arms raised over her head, so I knew that this altered seamline would work.  Once the gown was off her body, I used my sewing marker to mark the shape of the new seamlines, widening the waist area just a smidge to make it even easier for  Evaine's elbows and shoulders to pass through that narrow spot once the permanent seams are in place.

I will do one more test fit once the seams are in just to make certain that she can get the gown on and off before I cut off the excess fabric and turn the gown right-side out.  As usual, the hem will be saved for last.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

The mohair for Rhys' wig arrived in the mail today!

Hair for Rhys by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Unfortunately it is a more washed-out looking red than it appeared in the eBay photos, almost verging on a strawberry blonde.  I wanted a more intense shade of red.  Fortunately, since mohair is actual animal hair, it will take hair dye, so I think I will try dyeing half the hair to see if I can get a more vivid red, and then use whichever batch ends up looking best.

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

You can get a sample of henna at mehandi.com, which, when mixed with something acidic (like lemon juice), should produce a nice vivid deep red, and the sample is $1.50, so it's not a lot of money to spend.

I use it to color my hair, although my base color is much darker than that mohair, so I get a deep auburn color.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Thanks for the tip, DR; I'll check out their website.

Today's update:

Rhys starts to come together by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Tonight I found a head that can be fitted easily to my spare Evo body.  He doesn't look much like Rhys yet, but he'll soon have a curly red wig and amber eyes.

Rhys starts to come together by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

A close-up of the new head with its original hair and eye color.

Bald Rhys checks out his wig hair by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

(Excuse the dim photo; my battery was dying.)  I plucked out Rhys' original hair to prepare him for making a wig cap and wig.  The mohair looks darker in this picture than in person.  I will try to dye one of the bundles a brighter red, but perhaps this original color will work for highlights, as someone on my action figure forum suggested.  It's a bit washed out looking in person,  though--almost like red hair going gray--so I'll have to see how the two shades of red look together first.

And today at lunch, I finished the side seams for Evaine's undergown.

New undergown by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The undergown still needs hemming,  but it goes on over her head now without being either way too large or overly snug.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

*blushes*  Nice unruly hair, Rhys!  :o

Keep smiling, buddy!   :D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Now, Rhys. . . don't go losing your head over some young woman.