• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 12:38:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 238
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 234
Total: 235
drakensis
Google (2)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

IIRC, Sofiana Vastouni has dark (black?) hair and dark eyes.  I tend to think of her as looking exotic in a more Greek goddess sort of way.

I do have a dark haired, brown eyed head I'm looking for a more suitable body for, but something about that one makes me think she might make a better Duchess Meraude. 
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Aerlys

Evie said:
QuoteI do have a dark haired, brown eyed head I'm looking for a more suitable body for, but something about that one makes me think she might make a better Duchess Meraude. 

Yeah, well, I'm looking for a more suitable body, too, but I don't feel like unscrewing my head to put it on...
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Quote from: Aerlys on August 25, 2013, 10:25:00 PM
Evie said:
QuoteI do have a dark haired, brown eyed head I'm looking for a more suitable body for, but something about that one makes me think she might make a better Duchess Meraude. 

Yeah, well, I'm looking for a more suitable body, too, but I don't feel like unscrewing my head to put it on...

There's your problem, Aerlys!  Next time try sticking your head and neck under nearly scalding water for a minute or so, and then gently prying it up from your neck joint. 

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

So, after forgetting to get my camera out all day Friday and Saturday, I finally managed to remember to bring it to KK's panels today.  (All you missed from those previous panels was the sight of KK sitting with other writers at a table with a microphone in front of her, so when you see the photo of today's panel, just imagine variations of the same thing.  It's the discussion that's the interesting part of those panels anyhow, but we were requested not to make recordings of the events.)

So, here are some pics from today's events for your viewing enjoyment....

KK and the Mini-Deryni 2013- by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's KK with all the canonical Mini-Deryni.  There weren't enough cassocks to go around, so Denis Arilan showed up wearing cargo pants and a black shirt with a white clergy collar.  I got there just a short while before her reading began, so the Mini-Deryni got to sit on the table beside her while the reading was going on.  I sat out in the audience, keeping a stern eye on them to make sure they all behaved.  And they did.  All the canonical ones did, anyway.  I have no idea what Grub and the other fanfic based littles got up to in their carrying casel

View from my seat by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The Mini-Deryni meet one of KK's fans.   She had decided to wait a few minutes to give people time to show up for the reading, so in the meantime some folks took the opportunity to get books signed or take pictures.

Dragoncon 2013 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

After the reading was over, I joined KK at the table so I could have my picture taken with her and the Mini-Deryni.   KK read the same passage this year that she selected for last year's reading, because it was a nicely self-contained scene that took just the right amount of time to read through.  So no new stuff to share on that front, I'm afraid, but since she's got the book about ready to send off to the publisher later this month, hopefully we'll all be able to read the rest of it for ourselves sometime next spring.

Panel discussion by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

KK sitting on a panel with Lynn Abbey, Todd McCaffrey, and Chris Johnson (I think?), discussing writing in a shared universe.

And for those of you wondering what the rest of my Mini-Deryni collection are getting up to while some of us are having fun at Dragoncon, rest assured they're finding ways to keep from getting bored:

Meanwhile back at home by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Sophie tries on some modern style clothing and kicks back with some popcorn while Baby Cthulhu quaffs some beer.  Hey, someone's got to stay home and take care of the cats!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Evie, I think it would be kind of cool, if you get a moment, to post some of these pics under Herself in the Gallery, particularly that first one with all the Mini-Deryni lined up next to KK.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

I'll try to remember to do so once I'm home, DR.  That Gallery doesn't let you upload something to it directly from Flickr, and I don't want to have to download the photos to my laptop in order to upload them to the Gallery, since my memory on this computer is getting pretty full.  But it will be easier to do that once I'm home on the faster computer.

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

Evie, are the littles all wearing mini con badges?  If so, that is so cool.  :)

I do like the wig, too.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

I would really like to hear your 'littles' commentaries on the modern world.

Evie

The little Mini-Deryni voices in my head have had all sorts of commentary and reactions to downtown Atlanta this weekend, from awed wonder at the "magic" (electronic) signs to trying to figure out the logistics of supplying foodstuffs to the "Market Square" (the food court).  My clergy are trying not to notice the scantily clad young women wearing little more than faux fur scraps or construction tape.  And Grub keeps wanting to ride the glass walled elevator in the Hyatt up and down, up and down, but I won't let her because the hotel is crowded and there are sometimes long waits for an elevator.  They all think KK's room is quiet and restful, although Helena is a bit embarrassed that I took off her outer robe so that KK could get a better view of her midriff.  (The Evaine I will be making for KK will have a similar style body.)  They didn't get to go into the dealers' room with me, though they were happy to get some metallic mini-dice, especially when they found out I plan to turn them into Ward Cubes.  They were surprised that so many nice people wanted to take their picture before KK's reading, and didn't seem to know what the fuss was all about or how they ought to react to it, so mostly they just sat there and smiled for the cameras.  And I think Alaric was peeking at the pages while KK was reading.   ;D

Yes, Jerusha, they all had little con badges.  Most of them had first names only, although for some reason the royals got a bit more formal with theirs, so they ended up using "Kelsonus R", "Araxie R", and "Nigellus P" as badge names.  Though Grub went as Grub, not Amanda.  :)

The wig is fun, but rather hot, especially when worn with the veil.  I think it will work fine for Chattacon in January, but maybe not for next year's DragonCon unless I plan to stay indoors the entire time.  DD will probably end up borrowing it, like she's done to most of my other costume stuff, though if she does, I'll borrow one of hers in return.  (She ended up with a burgundy red and a pink wig in the same style.)

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Oh wow, now that looks like fun.  Love the photo with KK and the littles and the one with you and KK. What a great weekend event. I did not notice the badges until they were pointed out. Nice touch. But um, are you missing someone? Was Briony hiding behind Nigel, or did she run off with Grub to play on the elevator?   :D
May your horses have wings and fly!

AnnieUK

Alaric peers over KK's shoulder. "Hey, you guys! This book's about me."

Evie

Just got back from the con.  I still need to go help with unloading the car, but figured I'd log on long enough to say we got home safely.

Laurna, yes, Briony was there, but she was babysitting Grub and watched the reading from backstage.   :D  (Actually, the reason she wasn't shown is that I limited the display to the canonical characters that KK's other readers would recognize.  Although Briony is technically canonical, a teenaged Briony is not, since the canonical character was still a very young child in 1128, which was the last year depicted thus far in the canonical series.  So no one else there would have recognized who she is supposed to be, whereas the other figures' identities could be figured out by their clothing, accessories, hair and eye colors, etc.) 

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Hi Evie, glad to hear you are home.  Hope you really enjoyed the weekend. Looked like fun. About an hour after I posted about Briony missing.  I suddenly slapped my head sideways and said to myself Briony is too old to be shown during the reading.  So I laughed at my self, and now I am laughing again. Glad you're more up on the subject than me. 

I hear everyone wants you to add Evaine, Rhys, and Camber to the littles. I love the idea.  For Evaine's face look at the Birthstone sapphire or pearl Barbies, the blond versions in the evening gowns.  I used one for Jessa, I'm still working on her gown but I love the doll's face with the soft make up and grey eyes. Camber I think will be a challenge.  I can not wait to see your ideas.
May your horses have wings and fly!