• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:47:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 89
Total: 89

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

I'm glad Duncan could lend his belt and belt-pouch to Derry. I am not sure why there is a difference but it really suits Derry nicely.  So if you can get that long hair in a border braid or club( not sure what that is) I think you might have a good looking Lord Derry. How long is his hair anyway? 8)
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

His hair goes down to the middle of his back, about a half inch above the top of his belt.  And the belt probably looks better on Derry because he is wearing the style of tunic it is meant to be worn with, not to mention that the brown of the belt looks better on the gray fabric than it does on purple.

Clubbed hair is simply hair that is pulled back and bound securely in back in one of various styles.  The Suebian Knot was one very early style of war knot in which the warrior just literally twisted the hair into a long rope and coiled it up into a knot on the back or side of his head, but 1:6 scale Derry's doll hair is too short and thick for that style to work (besides which, it can look rather goofy).  If you think back to how soldiers wore their hair during the American Revolution, those hairstyles are also different styles of clubbing.  I think ordinary soldiers simply folded their long (shoulder length?) hair into a loop and then secured it with a bow tied around it, while officers braided and tied it in a style pretty much like how I did Dhugal's and Kelson's little Border braids.  And there was another style of clubbing in which men simply braided the hair in one long queue and then looped the tip of it up and pinned it securely under a hat.  Basically,  any style of hair clubbing is just a way to keep long hair tied back and neatly out of the face, and secured well enough that it's less likely to become a convenient handle for an enemy combatant to grab and hang on to while he's trying to kill you.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Here's a project that seemed determined to get all fouled up from the very outset, but I think I finally managed to wrestle it into behaving.  Mostly.  Here is Derry wearing a new blue tunic.

Derry's new blue tunic by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I may still add light blue at the cuffs to match the collar, and/or pair this with an undershirt of the pale blue. It's a tad snugger than I meant to make it, though, so I may have to do "cheater" undersleeves and fake an undershirt hem beneath the top layer instead.

Blue eyed boy by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This close up, I can see a few stray threads I forgot to snip earlier.  Also, the collar needs an extra little something, but I don't know what yet.  I originally planned to cover up the outer row of stitches tacking the outer edge down with another line of trim, but when I held the trim over it to check out how that would look, I decided that didn't look as nice as I'd hoped.  Maybe I could cover over those white stitches with an embroidered outline in some colored thread.  A touch of red for contrast, maybe?  Or should I stick to a monochromatic palette and choose a dark navy blue instead?

It dawns on me that I have no idea what Derry's heraldic colors are, but if one of his colors is blue, maybe I could choose a secondary color from his heraldry as the accent color.

Derry by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I wish you could see the true color of the yoke better; it's really a very pale blue rather than white, and came from KK's most recent package of fabric.  The ivory knotwork trim came from the stash that Alkari sent me from Australia last year.  I think the colors of this tunic are really flattering to this figure.  I almost made it too small--the neck opening just barely fits over his head, and there is just enough room across his chest and in the sleeves to allow for natural range of motion--and the collar got a bit FUBARed while I was putting it together (that trim attempts to hide a multitude of sins!), but I'm mostly happy with how it turned out.  The collar edge doesn't look nearly that messy when you're looking at it in person, but close up photos magnify every detail, even those you'd rather not show off.

Blue and silver belt by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I just realized this evening that my bracelet matches this tunic quite well!  (The cube shaped beads are some sort of dark blue stone.)  Derry wouldn't let me drive home until I took this snapshot of it.  This is a great picture of his actual hair and eye colors in natural sunlight.  Indoor lighting makes both look darker than they really are.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Nice tunic and belt, and I do like the colour of Derry's eyes in natural sunlight.  I have a feeling, though, that he's more than ready for some sword practice with Morgan before his 'hair appointment."  :D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on June 07, 2013, 10:07:57 AM
Nice tunic and belt, and I do like the colour of Derry's eyes in natural sunlight.  I have a feeling, though, that he's more than ready for some sword practice with Morgan before his 'hair appointment."  :D

He might be more than ready for some sword practice with Morgan if Morgan makes the mistake of teasing him while his hair is still in curlers....   ;) ;D

Seriously, though, when I get around to customizing him a bit more, I'm hoping that touching up his lip color will have the dual effect of both giving him a less pale and anemic look and also softening his expression slightly.  I actually prefer the more neutral expression faces over the perpetually smiling ones, because it's easier to get across a wide range of emotions from them in photostories, but that dark line in the middle of his lips makes the set of his mouth look even more stern than it needs to.  I know it's meant to be shadowing, but it looks more like he's been eating dark chocolate and forgot to wipe his mouth before the picture was taken.  There are more subtle ways to do that shadowing.

I also want to give him just the faintest hint of beard shadow like I've done on my other male faces.   :)

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Derry in curlers by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The poor man looks like a porcupine!

Curlers by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I wound the hair around the bobby pins in a figure-8 pattern.

Wrapping the ends by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Before winding the hair around the bobby pins, I took some Press and Seal wrap (cut in sections about 1" long by .75" wide) and wrapped it around the ends of each section of hair to secure the ends and help them remain in the bobby pin curlers.

Boil perm by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

With his hair in the curlers, I dunked his whole head into a large Pyrex measuring cup filled with boiling water (I used a microwave to bring it to a boil before this step) and left his head submerged for about a minute before dunking it in a large bowl full of ice water to help set the curls quickly.  Then I patted the excess water off his hair with a kitchen towel and left him to dry for a few hours.

Newly curled hair by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Several hours after curling his hair, I checked the curl by removing one of the bobby pins.  It seemed to be pretty well set in despite his hair still being damp, so I gently tugged at the plastic wrap "curl paper" to remove it.  Since that first curl seemed to be securely set, I went ahead and pulled out the rest of the pins and curl paper.

Back view of curls by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's the new curly haired style from behind.   I think they turned out pretty well, although the guy looks perhaps a bit more like Tarzan than Derry.  Time to get the style under a bit more control.

Pulling it back by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I pulled the hair into a vinyl band, creating a short, thick ponytail in back.  The front curls frame his face nicely.  He's beginning to look a bit more presentable.

Another view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Just another view of the tied back curls.

Rear view of secured curls by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

After I tied the hair back, I noticed a few of the ends that must have escaped the bobby pin curlers and didn't get properly curled.  Those are sticking out of the main ponytail.  But I figure once I wrap the ponytail in some sort of clubbed style, that will help hide those straighter ends.

Derry gets his clothes on again by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I don't want to mess up his hair too badly while getting him dressed again, so I put his tunic on first.

Experimental "war club" by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

His hair is so thick that it can't make a thin braid unless I cut at least half of it off at the nape.  But before going to that extreme, I thought I'd see how it looked with a bit of faux leather wrapped around it and tied off at the ends.  It's thicker than I'd prefer, since it's over doll hair than human hair, but other than that it's not too bad.

Side view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's a side view of the bound hair, though I prefer the front or direct rear views.

Other side by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And here's another side view.  This indirect side angle helps disguise the thickness of the bound hair a little bit.

Making a friend by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

We already knew Derry had a way with horses.  It seems he gets on very well  with large cats also.

Luke snoopervises the makeover by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Luke gives his approval to the new curls.

Nice kitty by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Derry gives Luke a pat while Luke takes a brief snooze.

Derry and Luke by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Derry and Luke enjoy a quiet Sunday together.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

"I'll scratch your back, buddy, if you'll protect me from those bobby pins.  Deal?"  :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Evie

LOL!  I can see that, especially when it's unbound.  Maybe I should dig out that 1:6 electric guitar for him....   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Evie

Derry finds family in ITKS by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's Derry finding his Uncle Trevor mentioned in the Index of Characters at the back of In The King's Service.  As you can see in this photo, I finished the faux undershirt (really just tube-like fake sleeves and some panels that fit under his tunic and are held in place by the snug fit of tunic and belt at the waistline).  I also found him a new belt at the $1 Jewelry Store, which is a bit of a misnomer in that most of the jewelry there is actually more than a dollar, but this particular item was on their dollar wall.  It is actually a bracelet that came with rubbery slide-on ABCs so you could spell out a word or name on it, but there was only one of each letter, limiting its usefulness.  You could spell out a name like "Sean," for instance, but not "Derry."  As a 1:6 belt, though, it's great, and well worth the buck even if I end up keeping just the buckle!  It only comes in bright colors (red, orange, blue, yellow), but I figure a bit of plastic paint can fix that if I prefer something more neutral, or I could cut off the plastic strap and use my own leather or fabric strips (or use ribbon) and make belts of any color and length required.  Now I'm wondering how well a cheap leather or leather-look wristwatch band would work as a belt.  I know there used to be some band styles that were a single band that went under the watch rather than just connecting to each end of it.  Though those might cost more than I'm willing to spend for one, unless Dollar Tree carries them or something.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

New "stained glass" window and figure by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

My husband found the "window" at the Thrift Store yesterday.  It's actually a lightweight plaque that can either hang from a ring in back or stand with a fold-out support in back like a picture frame.  The new figure came from another visit to the Thrift Store tonight.  I think he's a Power Team guy.  I haven't fully decided who he is yet--he might remain a background extra, but it occurred to me that with a repaint of his hair and eye colors, he might make a good Archbishop Cardiel figure.  His face is rather youthful, so I'm still on the lookout for a more mature looking head sculpt, but then again, with his hair color changed to gray, that could help to give him a more aged appearance.  At any rate, he has a very well articulated body, so I'm sure I'll find a good use for him.

Close up of figure by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

According to High Deryni, Cardiel should have steel gray hair and gray eyes.  A bit monochromatic, that, but I could go with a lighter gray for the eyes than the hair to provide some contrast.

New window by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's a closer look at the stained glass window plaque.  It appears to be printed cardboard in a picture frame, so I could theoretically change the picture in it to make it a Saint Camber window or some such motif.

Cowlick by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

He's got a small cowlick at the top center of his head where a tonsure might go if I could figure out how to shave or sand down a neat little circle just at the top of his head.  Or I could just keep his head covered and pretend one is there.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Duncan takes a break by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Duncan enjoys a lunchtime break on a garden wall in the outdoor courtyard of a restaurant near my office.  He looked pretty happy to see the sunshine after so much cold and rain this past winter and spring.  I couldn't resist snapping a quick photo.

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on June 12, 2013, 10:39:38 PM

I think he's a Power Team guy.  I haven't fully decided who he is yet--he might remain a background extra, but it occurred to me that with a repaint of his hair and eye colors, he might make a good Archbishop Cardiel figure.  His face is rather youthful, so I'm still on the lookout for a more mature looking head sculpt, but then again, with his hair color changed to gray, that could help to give him a more aged appearance.  At any rate, he has a very well articulated body, so I'm sure I'll find a good use for him.

Could you paint age-lines on his face?