• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 06:12:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 252
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derynifanatic64

Quote from: Elkhound on May 09, 2013, 09:47:15 PM
Quote from: Jerusha on May 09, 2013, 07:02:36 PM
Grub does need sturdy play clothes.  She is Sextus' daughter after all!   ;D

When Grub starts getting interested in BOYS, Sextus is going to have a heart attack.
Sextus' wife will help him survive that phase of Grub's life.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Evie

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on May 10, 2013, 03:31:06 AM

When Grub starts getting interested in BOYS, Sextus is going to have a heart attack.

But will she be able to help those poor boys survive Sextus?    ;)

Oh, and by the way, my husband is now adding himself to the growing list of people who think that Grub looks like a child version of me, so who am I to argue?  I had her sitting on the kitchen island last night, watching me cook supper while holding a miniature R2-D2.  Despite her medieval clothing, that looked so natural somehow....   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on May 10, 2013, 09:33:59 AM
Quote from: derynifanatic64 on May 10, 2013, 03:31:06 AM

But will she be able to help those poor boys survive Sextus?    ;)

Time for a Gwynnedian version of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_Simple_Rules

Evie

I'm on vacation and finally have a little time to do hobby stuff again, so Briony got a new outfit:

Briony by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Briony models a new peplos, belt, and shoes that I made for her this morning.

The peplos really ought to be ankle or floor length, but I had barely enough to make it this length.  I originally wanted to make a Viking style apron dress, but that would have required even more fabric.  I may end up giving this short peplos to Grub, since it should be a better length for her, and then make a more suitable overgown for Briony.  Worn over an undergown, though, it's still fairly modest.   (I really need to shorten those sleeves when I get a chance!)

I tried my hand at making medieval footwear.  Here is a close-up of my first attempt at making soled shoes.  It could use a bit of work still, but I think I've got the basic concept now.

New medieval shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Duncan's new shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Duncan gets a new pair of shoes.  His were much easier to make than Briony's, since his feet are larger, making them easier to work with.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Hi Evie. Great job on the shoes. Did you use thick leather for the soles? I can imagine it would be hard to make a pair that matched.  By the way  I love Briony's peacock feather trim design. Nice touch.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Nice footware, Evie!  But with Briony's lovely ankles exposed in her new peplos, she's likely to have every senior squire and newly-minted knight at her heels!   ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

Quote from: Jerusha on May 23, 2013, 03:59:38 PM
Nice footware, Evie!  But with Briony's lovely ankles exposed in her new peplos, she's likely to have every senior squire and newly-minted knight at her heels!   ;)

Not with Papa Alaric standing over protectively.  It would take a bold senior squire or new knight indeed to brave the wrath of THAT father.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

Remember one wag's summary of "The Wizard of Oz"?---two women in a battle to the death over a pair of shoes.

Evie

Thanks, everyone!

The outer soles are made of self-adhesive black craft foam.  The shoes have insoles made from thin cardboard (the kind that dress shirts are often folded around).  To make matching soles, I just stood the dolls on the cardboard and lightly traced around one foot, then cut the sole about a millimeter or two outside that outline, just to give enough extra margin to allow some ease for getting a foot in and out of the shoe easily.  Cut out that sole and flip it upside-down on the cardboard, trace that shape and cut it out, and voila!  Matching shoe soles.  I use the insoles as patterns to cut out the foam outer soles.  Cutting the upper took a little trial and error.  I had a flat-footed Barbie boot pattern that worked well enough for making Briony's shoe (I didn't cut out the upper boot), but I didn't want the back to come up as far on Duncan's shoes, so I modified that basic shape when I cut out his pair.  I also had to make it quite a bit bigger for his foot, which is much larger and in proportion to his body than Briony's dainty Liv Doll foot.  My first experimental upper wasn't quite big enough to stretch over the insole, so I used that as a pattern to cut another one about 1/8 of an inch bigger all the way around, and that one turned out to be just right.  Once I had one that would work, I just traced that one to get the other upper.  The shoe is constructed by sewing up the back seam with right sides in, turning the shoe right-side out and placing it over the foot, placing the insole on the bottom of the foot, slathering the underside with tacky glue, folding the edges of the upper fabric over the bottom of the insole (clipping curved edges first) and holding them in place for a minute or two until they start to stick on their own, and then putting the foam outer sole last, sealing those fabric edges between insole and outer sole.  The cut edges that are still exposed (rear seam and top edge of shoe) get a Fray-Check finish to prevent fraying, although the faux suede fabric is fairly fray resistant even without it.  I kept a damp paper towel around to wipe glue off my fingers as needed, but any bits of glue that end up on the upper just got wiped off quickly, and if they left a stain here and there...well, that just makes the shoes look like they've been worn a few times and aren't brand spanking new.   ;D

I also finally managed to paint the shiral crystal stand so that it looks like bronze rather than air-drying clay,  so I'll upload photos of that when I get a chance.  And I found a lovely belt pouch shaped charm that I want to sew to a belt, but I'll need to dig through my trims to find one that is best suited for the purpose.  I do love having vacation time!   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Wow that is a lot of dainty work,  Great job.
I'm inclined to be with Jerusha.  Papa Alaric would be scowling at any young knight that even glanced near the floor where his daughter's ankles could be seen.  That scowl is quickly followed by a desperate mental call to Richenda to come get his daughter back inside and find her a suitable long under-dress to accompany her new garment. (Is that not always the way, the mother taking full responsibility for their children's defiance to the proper code of dressing) ;D
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Quote from: Laurna on May 24, 2013, 12:04:17 PMPapa Alaric would be scowling at any young knight that even glanced near the floor where his daughter's ankles could be seen.

The scowl causing the young knights to faint, throw up, or wet themselves.

tenworld

Having a Deryni father of my date would conjure all kinds of nightmares.

Try explaining that the empties werent yours to a mind reader.

Elkhound

Quote from: tenworld on May 25, 2013, 05:31:35 PM
Having a Deryni father of my date would conjure all kinds of nightmares.

Try explaining that the empties werent yours to a mind reader.

If I were the Deryni father of a teenage daughter, I'd truth-read all the boys who wanted to date her.  And I'd tell her to truth-read them herself. 

If I were a non-Deryni father in that world, I'd find a Deryni friend or neighbor to do it for me.

I know what boys that age are like, because I used to be one.

Evie

I made a few new accessories for Briony over the weekend:

Accessorized by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Briony got a new coif and necklace.

New coif by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I intend to add some ribbon ties to the front corners once I can find my stash of narrow ribbon, but it's wearable as-is.

Briony's coif by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here is a front view of Briony's coif.

Teeny silver chain necklace by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Tenworld donated some ultra-thin silvery wire to the Deryni action figure project.  After musing a bit on what it might be suitable for, I tried using the smallest size crochet hook I could find to make a silver chain out of it.  I might see if I can improvise some way of doing a miniature variant of Viking chain weaving (aka trichinopoly chain, IIRC) with it.

--WARNING!!!--