• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,569
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 477
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 85
Total: 86
DoctorM
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 11:06:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on April 24, 2013, 06:05:12 AM
Ummm, let me think.  Prince Nigel?

Could be, wabbit!  And I just got a positive ID on what sort of action figure he is from another collector.  He was made by Ever Sparkle Toys, although of course a macho military dude couldn't go around with "Ever Sparkle" branded on his butt, so the soldier figures were imprinted with "ES Toys" instead.   :D  Actually, mine isn't imprinted at all (I think the imprint probably wore off through years of play), but his head sculpt is identical to the one on her action figure, so I'm sure it's the same guy.  I got a good chuckle from it anyway.  Prince Nigel Haldane, the Iron Duke, an Ever Sparkle Toy....   ;D

If I'm going to be changing his hair color anyway, what would you think about me adding a hint of silver drybrushing to his hair at each temple?  I'm recreating the Deryni world of the 1130s after all, so it seems logical that Nigel would have a fair bit of silver highlighting in his sable hair by that point.  I think he'd look quite distinguished. :)

I don't have a photo yet, but I picked up some other spare articulated male figures at the thrift store last night, although some of the heads will definitely need to be replaced.  They're not very high quality bodies, but I figured they'd do for background characters--guards and the like.  One of them has a Duncan head sculpt, so I might store that away in case I ever need a replacement, since his original head donor is no longer available in stores, making him harder to replace if something tragic happens.  The thrift store head could use a good shampoo and restyling, but is in otherwise good condition, and I think he could be restored to look like almost new.  Or if not, he can serve as a test head for some future experiment, like if I want to see if there's some way to add gray patches to Duncan's hair without risk of ruining True Duncan's head.

OK, here are the promised sandal photos:

Gigi does a toe inspection by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

"All toes present and accounted for, Bishop McLain.  Yours and mine too."

Sandal shod by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

"See?  Well shod tootsies!"
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

The sandles seem to fit perfectly!  My compliments to the shoe inspector for such a fine job of verification and no nibbling!  :D

I think adding some grey to Nigel's temples is an excellent idea.  I've always thought he would be a man who aged well and handsomely. 

And he does have an "ever sparkle" in his eye when it comes to Meraude.   ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Quote from: Jerusha on April 24, 2013, 10:56:48 AM
I think adding some grey to Nigel's temples is an excellent idea.  I've always thought he would be a man who aged well and handsomely. 

And he's earned every one of them!

Shiral

Prince Nigel Haldane, the Iron Duke, an Ever Sparkle Toy....   ;D

Kelson and his cousins would tease him to death about it , you know.... =o)

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Quote from: Shiral on April 24, 2013, 09:41:43 PM
  Prince Nigel Haldane, the Iron Duke, an Ever Sparkle Toy....   ;D

Kelson and his cousins would tease him to death about it , you know.... =o)

Melissa

Meraude (crooning): "He may be an Ever Sparkle Toy, but he's my Ever Sparkle Toy!"   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

While I was clearing out some stuff from my basement, I ran into an unexpected find, which I brought upstairs to meet the Mini-Deryni....

Jedi Knight meets Deryni mage by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Not sure what Luke and Alaric were discussing here.  Talking "shop," maybe?

Jedi Knight and Deryni mage by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

After all, Jedi and Deryni do have quite a few things in common!

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

I got Grub a new, far less "mannish" body, so she's had some fun playing and getting used to having somewhat better articulation.  She doesn't have a medieval wardrobe yet, so she's having to make do with some of my smaller Barbie clothes until I can find time to make her a gown or two.

Grub plays Gluckshaus by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here she is enjoying "Medieval Game Night" at our SCA meeting.  This is the Gluckshaus board, and she's learning how to play her daddy's favorite tavern gambling game.   (Don't worry about Denis scolding me for teaching his grand-niece how to gamble; we were playing for marbles rather than coins.)  Every time someone rolled a 4, which isn't on the game board, the "money" went to the "house" instead of going on the board or to a player.  Grub is helping out by acting as our tavern-keeper and guarding the house's growing hoard of tokens.

The House takes a share of the pot by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

You can tell from her smile how much she enjoys this game!  Also, notice that she has little magnets set into the soles of her feet.  Why?  Well, for one thing, they help her stand if she's on a metallic base or surface.  They can also help her with other cool poses....

Grub playing by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

...such as doing handstands.  Grub loves handstands!  Fortunately that's a pencil skirt, so no need to worry about hemlines obeying the laws of gravity and leaving her over-exposed.  Maybe I should come up with some hosen or trews for her when I get around to sewing her wardrobe.

Grub playing by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The scrap of purple fabric in the bag should be enough to make a nice Court gown for her, and I have enough to make a bishop's cassock from it as well, so she and Uncle Denis can match.  She can't go around dressed like a little hoyden all the time, after all, and the deep purple will bring out her beautiful Arilan blue-violet eyes.  (Once I get around to painting them blue-violet, that is.  I have another head like that that already has blue-violet eyes and freckles, but Obitsu neck joints are a bit fragile and I've already accidentally broken one, so I'd rather not swap out heads on this body unless I absolutely have to.)

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Your littles certainly have a penchant for being upside down!   :D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

She had to find some way to amuse herself.  I forgot to bring any toys for her today, so she's been a bit bored here at the office.

Grub creates handfire by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Fortunately she found a few ways to entertain herself while waiting for the workday to be over.

--WARNING!!!--

tenworld

i was struck by how much Grub looks like you Evie, was that concious or sub-? except she has monochome black hair of course:)

Evie

LOL!  Well, I didn't plan for Grub to look like me, but since you are now the second person to tell me that, I suppose she must.    :D  I guess in some ways I was a little like her at that age, though with a much less colorful vocabulary, and my mother wasn't an ill-tempered shrew inclined towards lobbing cast iron skillets at folks she's annoyed with, thank God!  And my dad isn't anything like Sextus either, for which I'm sure we are all quite grateful.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

And here's an unexpected update:

Fine imported chests from faraway Byzantyun by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

KK sent the littles another package, this time filled with furniture, beads, fabric, and a little lady to join the Deryni Court.  Here are two chests of drawers imported from some distant Kingdom.  I am certain Araxie will be thrilled to add them to the royal solar or bedchamber!  Alaric is seated on a rustic stool that was also in the package (I forgot to take a separate photo of it, so I will need to rectify that later), and the new lady is standing by the chests to show a sense of scale.  I don't know yet who she might turn out to be, but since her facial features look very similar to Richenda's, and her hair color is very close to Alaric's, she might end up becoming Briony.  She will need a better articulated body if she's going to do more than stand around and look pretty, but that can be arranged.  In the mid to late 1130s, Briony would still be a teenager, but there are some nice Obitsu bodies that are slightly shorter  than Barbie bodies but that can use Barbie heads on them.  Or for that matter, maybe Briony takes after her daddy in terms of height, so she's a little taller than the average young teenage girl?  We shall see.

Other furnishings by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The aqua closet with enclosed drawers is also from KK's package.  The little iron and wicker shelving unit was a thrift store find, as was the pottery bowl on the lower shelf, and the pitcher and basin were from an antiques mall.  You can also see a closer view of the small Asian chest with its outer doors that work similarly to a rolltop desk to conceal those two upper drawers on the inside.  I'll see if I can get another photo of this chest with those doors closed later.  The motif is painted on, I think, but it does a great job of simulating inlaid wood. 

Fabric samples by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here are the fabrics that were in the package.  There is a pale blue silk and some trim that goes very nicely with it, which I think would make a nice undergown for Richenda or Briony and possibly also a man's tunic, since I think that fabric would bring out Duncan's eye color to best advantage.  There is enough crimson to make Araxie and Kelson some matching Court garb, or perhaps I could use it to make Haldane tabards for the castle staff to wear.  (Those background extras need clothing, after all!)  And white is always useful for undershirts and the like.  The plastic bag in the top right corner contains a variety of beads and findings, so hopefully I'll find a way to use some of those also.

I have some vacation time coming up soon, so hopefully I'll be able to get a few more crafts projects done!

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Grub's new gown by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Just a sturdy little wool-lined homespun outfit for Grub to wear when playing outdoors. I haven't made a matching undergown for it yet, though her old red tunic will work for now.  I'll probably make the undergown for this in either white or light blue.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Grub does need sturdy play clothes.  She is Sextus' daughter after all!   ;D

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Quote from: Jerusha on May 09, 2013, 07:02:36 PM
Grub does need sturdy play clothes.  She is Sextus' daughter after all!   ;D

When Grub starts getting interested in BOYS, Sextus is going to have a heart attack.