• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,559
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 371
Total: 371
Bing (2)
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 07:51:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

New Library acquisitions by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Bishop Duncan and Sister Helena look over some damaged scrolls and manuscript fragments recently recovered from a stash of ancient Deryni documents rescued from a fire and hidden away at some time in the previous century.  One of the books is a Healer's text on herbology, so I'm sure Sister Therese will be glad for a chance to look that one over and have a copy made for the Infirmarium once these two are done studying it.  These are some of the less damaged works from the literary trove, so hopefully they can yield up some treasures to add to the storehouse of Deryni knowledge that the Schola is attempting to recover.  If the bookshelves in the background seem rather sparsely stocked, that's because Father Nivard is having several of the books rebound.  (Or perhaps it's just that I haven't had time to make more books yet!)

Scrolls and manuscript signatures by evian_delacourt, on Flickr
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Well, I have ordered two new bodies that will hopefully work with Duncan's and Alaric's heads and give them much greater poseability, but now it looks like the headless lads are off on some grand adventure!  I checked the tracking info today, since today was their estimated date of arrival, and it appears they had arrived here in Birmingham safe and sound in the wee hours of the morning, but now they're apparently in some podunk town I've never even heard of called Killen, AL, up in the northwestern corner of the state.  Hopefully the town was just named for a founding father, and "Killen" isn't what they do to Deryni tourists!  It's not the first time the USPS has gotten a package to me by some very roundabout route (I had another one go from downtown Birmingham to Montgomery before being sent back here to my university post office in Birmingham, and they've been known to make other odd sidetrips as well), but I'm predicting it might take an extra day or two for it to get here.   I always add at least one day to the Post Orifice's estimate, since that official ETA date is usually the day that it arrives at my university post office (barring unforeseen detours), and then it actually gets delivered to my office the next afternoon after it gets to the university.  Oh well, maybe the guys decided they wanted to do a bit of sightseeing?   How much sightseeing can they do with only one spare head in the package?  I hope they're sharing it nicely.  I hear the Tennessee Valley is nice this time of year.... 

You know, according to Google Maps, Killen is up near Florence, AL.  I wonder if the lads thought they were heading up to Florence, Italy?  Given my druthers, I'd rather go to Florence, Italy too!    ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

If the head has both eyes, I suppose they can each use one, provided Alaric and Duncan want to look in the same direction.  ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

One eye apiece?  I guess that could work, though I figured it would be easier if they just took turns using the complete head.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

The good news is, the tracking information for the package containing Alaric's and Duncan's prospective new bodies shows that it has arrived on campus safely.   ;D

The bad news is, I just got word that the university is closing at 2:00 pm today due to the threat of severe weather coming into our area.  And our office doesn't usually get mail delivered until between 2:00 and 3:00.  So that means I won't get the new bodies until tomorrow.

Ah, well, at least I know that they made it back from their unexpected side trip.  Hopefully they'll still be here tomorrow, and not blown off to the Land of Oz!

I figured where they must have gone on their sightseeing spree, by the way.  Florence, Alabama is the site of the Alabama Renaissance Festival.  Poor little guys must have been homesick for something closer to their own time period!   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Woohoo! Look what arrived today after all!

Testing Ken head match on Evo by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I actually got two of these Evo action figure bodies, but just took time to get a quick photo of this one (along with a spare head I had on hand so I could see how well the color matched).

The best laid plans... by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the best made plans go oft astray.  I had planned for the new Evo bodies to go to Duncan and Alaric, but upon trying to switch out Alaric's head, I discovered he has the old style Ken head that isn't compatible with this body without major plastic surgery, unlike the Fashionista Ken heads which just need a bit of bulking up of the internal neck joint to fit on this body.  Kelson didn't have a compatible head either, nor did Dhugal, so that left either Sextus or this guy to wear the spare body.  I am thinking of turning this into my Jass McArdry figure.  I never did find a physical description of Jass in KK's books, so in my fanfics I gave him dark chestnut hair with reddish highlights and whiskey colored eyes.  So this guy's coloring is nearly spot on.  He could use a bit more red in his hair, but I might be able to brush some reddish acrylic wash into it like I did with Dhugal's.  So if I end up using this guy for Jass, what will I do with my other action figure with the cool costume that I had considered using for him earlier?  Well, he's got curly hair,  and it's occurred to me that he might also work for Derry with a slight bit of modification (mainly eye color and the addition of enough hair length in back for the requisite "war knot" of clubbed hair in back).

You'll notice the chests are slightly different. That's because there are two different styles of chest plate for this figure, but more on that in a bit. I had originally planned to put Alaric on the more buff body, figuring that would fit his "career warrior" lifestyle. Duncan is also quite fit, of course, but I figure a bishop would have a little less time for a daily workout.

Body comparison by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here is a Fashionista Ken body beside the new Evo body.  Even the less defined chest plate for the Evo has better definition than the Fashionista Ken chest, although that chest isn't bad as Ken chests go.  The articulation on the action figure body is much better than the playline doll body's articulation, although Fashionista Ken is better articulated than most Kens.  The Harley Davidson Ken body is better in that it also has articulated ankles, and it may have more range of motion in the hips as well.  It certainly can't have less range of motion!

Hand details by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The Evo hands are more proportional to the body (I learned in art class long ago that a spread hand ought to cover most of a person's face), and they are more detailed.  They can also be switched out.  I have relaxed hands, rifle grip hands (the trigger finger hand is also great for pointing or gesturing), and sword grip hands, so I can pose Duncan with lots of hand combinations and have him holding various items.

Foot detail by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The flash makes the detail a bit too washed out, even with some photo correction, but as nicely detailed as the Fashionista foot is, the Evo foot is even more so.  The Evo ankles aren't as flexible as some other action figures, but at least it has a little more mobility than the Fashionista Ken solid ankles.  The feet are bigger, though, so I will need to find bigger shoes for these bodies.

Inside of chest plates by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The chest plates are aligned with pegs and sockets, and strong magnets keep them securely mounted on the body, yet easy to remove if you want to switch them out. 

You can also see the bit of tubing I used to adapt the neck joint to the wider opening in the Ken head.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

OK, so Alaric and Richenda, Duncan, and Helena went with me to an SCA event this weekend.

I decided sewing something would be a nice way to pass the time while there.  Here's Alaric showing off the new cloak I made for him while watching the arts and crafts fair in progress:

New cloak by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I added more of the red embroidery around the lower hem last night after this photo was taken, and I want to add some embellishment to the chest band as well, so I will post an updated photo later once the cloak is completed.

Spring sunshine by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here are the littles sitting together in the sunshine during Royal Court.   The Kingdom of Meridies' Royal Court, that is, not Kelson's.

Sitting in the sun by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

A quiet moment for the two cousins.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Nice cloak for Morgan, but poor Bishop Duncan needs some foot ware!  ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

LOL!  Yes, I need to figure out how to make some for him. His new body can't wear Ken shoes.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

But speaking of new shoes (not to mention other accessories for Duncan)....

Accessories for Duncan by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I got these in the mail this weekend.  Here's a pair of sandals so Duncan doesn't have to go around barefoot (he needs boots also, but I need to find or make some to fit him), two belts that will work quite handily for either modern or some medieval garb (though I want to make longer ones for the mini-Deryni also, since they'd look more in period), and a clerical shirt (actually a dickey rather than a full shirt) for Duncan to wear under a nice jacket if he decides to venture into the modern world from time to time.

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Jerusha on April 21, 2013, 09:30:22 PM

Barefoot is a sign of humility. 

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on April 23, 2013, 08:22:23 AM
Quote from: Jerusha on April 21, 2013, 09:30:22 PM

Barefoot is a sign of humility.

True, though in that case I'm afraid Duncan is just a little less humble this morning.  The new sandals fit him perfectly.  I'll see if I can get a photo up here when I get a chance.   :)  And since he's not the only one of my littles needing shoes, I'll be studying them carefully so I can work out how to make more footwear in little lady sizes.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

I love the sandals. They should be perfect for Duncan. Send a picture of them on the feet. :D
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Well, I've not made it home yet tonight, so no photos of Duncan's sandaled feet yet.  However, I do have something else to show off....

Thrift store find by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I'm not sure if this  is a Power Team guy or what sort of action figure he is, but he followed me to my SCA meeting from the thrift store today.

Closer view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

(Ignore my daughter's hand photobombing the poor man!)  I wasn't sure what role he might play at first, but imagine this guy with a wash of black paint darkening his hair and a light wash of gray laid over his original eye color.  Black hair, grey eyes, neatly trimmed mustache, perhaps a crimson surcoat...slightly older nobleman than the rest of my assembled cast...getting any ideas yet?

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

-- Old English Litany