• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 10:20:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 81
Total: 81
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

I made the blue sweater dress shortly before Christmas for one of my time-traveler littles, along with a Christmas outfit also made from socks.  (The stretch knit fabric of this dress comes from the top of a Dollar Store sock, cut off just above the heel.  I then turned it inside out, cut slits from hem to armpit on either side, and sewed up the sideseams and hem.  The top band of the sock serves as the off-the-shoulder neckline.)

New wardrobe by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This is Jess, the gal I made the dress for.  If she bears a startling resemblance to Mirjana, that's because they share the same head sculpt, although Jess has purple highlights rather than brown ones in her hair, and her eyes are brown rather than green.

Cynicalmedic might recognize Jess's necklace, since that was a bracelet from the package of beaded jewelry she sent me a while back.  That and an beaded daisy bracelet have come in quite handy so far, and I'm hoping to find uses for some of the other beads when I have more time for projects again.  Tenworld just sent me some cool wire and metal bits that I might be able to make jewelry with also.  And Mac is borrowing a pair of Dhugal's old trews.  They don't fit New Dhugal as well as they fit the original figure I was using for him.

And here's Olivia Grace, my third time-traveler, wearing the aforementioned Christmas outfit:

Christmas outfit by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on February 16, 2013, 08:14:33 PM
She got promoted from Chief Communications Officer and is now on a command track.  She must have impressed the Captain with her Alien Rapport skills.  ;)

Persuading the giant feline not to eat her is certainly impressive!  If she had persuaded him to eat some of the mooks it would have been even more impressive.  Or if she had realized that the giant felines were, in fact, the ruling sentients on the planet and negotiated a treaty with the Federation, that would be icing on the cake.

DesertRose

Quote from: Elkhound on February 17, 2013, 07:29:14 PM
Persuading the giant feline not to eat her is certainly impressive!

Given the dietary proclivities of that particular feline, only if she'd been covered in peas would she have been in danger!  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

LOL! Too true.   :D

And now for today's adventures with the Mini-Deryni.  My daughter and I took Helena and Mirjana on a picnic this afternoon.  My daughter decided they needed to change into modern clothing for their daytrip, but the little ladies didn't feel comfortable going out in the usual Barbie style mini-skirts or snug trousers.  Fortunately I had a few outfits on hand that didn't require them to step too far out of their comfort zones.  You can take a lady out of the Middle Ages for a few days, but it's hard to take the Middle Ages out of these ladies.

Sitting on the bridge by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

So here they are, sitting on the top step of a small foot bridge overlooking the Cahaba.  The river is still very narrow at this point--just a stream, really--since we're just a few miles from its source.  The ladies decided they wanted to picnic on the bridge.

Picnic by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

They brought the iron pot in case they happened to find a good place for a camp fire and wanted to prepare some hot food, but I'd stocked their basket pretty well with finger foods, and they decided they'd rather just stay on the bridge and watch the water flow beneath us.

Their carpet is on the larger blanket because my daughter and I were having a picnic too.  We couldn't all fit on that tiny Kheldish carpet!

P1010907 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

There was a nice assortment of breads and cheese in the basket.  Before long, the ladies were tucking the snacks away quite happily while deep in their own conversation.

Just another cracker and cheese by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And so they passed the time while my daughter and I finished up our own meal.

P1010909 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

We finished our meal before they did.

P1010911 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

So we just watched and waited....

P1010915 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

...until finally they'd finished off the entire tray.  The ladies decided it was time for a little light exercise to work off that nice lunch, so while my daughter and I packed the picnic stuff away, they went on a stroll down to the river's bank.

Across the river by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

There was a boulder near the river's edge that provided a nice vantage point for looking at the water.  My daughter snapped this photo from the opposite bank.

Looking at the reflections by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

We liked how the reflections turned out in these pictures.  Apparently Helena and Mirjana enjoyed looking at the reflections as well.

P1010940 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The sun was starting to get a bit low, so we crossed the bridge again to join our little friends and let them know it was nearly time to head home.  My daughter wanted to take just a few more photos.

P1010941 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

It was time to say goodbye to the river and the bridge overhead.

P1010944 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The uphill hike back to the car was rather tiring for the little ladies, so they stopped about halfway up to rest and catch a breath.

P1010945 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

But soon it was time to continue on....

Time to leave by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

They finally got to the top, where they waited for us at the foot of a bridge support.  They thought it looked a little bit like the base of one of the Rhemuth City walls.  I took one more photo of them there, and then it was time to call it a day. 

This outdoor adventure reminds me, I found an online pattern (actually just directions for how to create a pattern) for a 1:6 scale medieval tent, and I may even have some fabric for it now.  What I haven't had is the time to actually try to make it, although I've been steadily collecting props for it and other dioramas over the past few months.  Hopefully I can get something together by this summer, though, since it would be really cool to take some photos of Kelson and the guys sitting in the Royal Pavilion, going over battle plans or what-have-you, with natural sunlight for photo illumination and the Great Outdoors as a backdrop. 

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

It must have been a nice outing - good weather, lots of food, and even coats for when it got cooler.  They were well prepared!

I love the photo with their reflection in the water. 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

I'll let DD know; she took those riverside photos.  Actually, there were several others that she took that had really cool reflections in them, but I left some out of this set because they didn't feature the littles, and also some of them didn't get uploaded to my Flickr at all because the lens cover didn't open all the way, so there was a big black triangle cutting off the upper right corner of all those shots.  Here are some that made it to my photostream, if not into the Girls' Day Out set:

P1010928 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

P1010917 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

P1010916 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Y'all, I have just seen the first photos of the medieval foodstuffs that my friend Deborah is creating for the Mini-Deryni, and so far it all looks amazing!  I would link to photos, but she's got them uploaded to Facebook, so I don't think that's going to work.  If she uploads them to her Flickr page, I'll see if I can post links here, but if not, I'll definitely upload photos of everything once it arrives.  You know I'll have to do so anyway; I'll want to stage a nice Feast Table photoshoot for the occasion!   :D

She's been doing her research, and trying to keep things looking reasonably authentic for the period, with foods that they would have had access to.  Here's what I know she's been working on so far:  Fava beans (very detailed, not just little lumps of green clay, but recognizably bean-shaped), sausages, aged cheddar cheese, bread (including a few bread trenchers), and some wooden plates, bowls, and trenchers to serve food items on.  Still in the works are some fresh fruit (not sure what yet, but figs, grapes, and berries have been discussed), a stew of some sort, and I suppose whatever else she happens to dream up between now and this weekend.  I will definitely keep you folks posted as I get more details. 

And oh yeah, she threw in a pizza too!   ;D

*happy dance*

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on February 21, 2013, 02:47:37 PM

And oh yeah, she threw in a pizza too!   ;D

*happy dance*

I suppose that if you think about it, a pizza isn't THAT different from a bread-trencher.

Evie

It's really not that far off, come to think of it.  Though the tomato-based sauce on this one might be a bit of a surprise to medieval palates.  I think all of the other ingredients on it would have been available to Europeans in period, though, and since Gwynedd is in a fantasy world, maybe they've got tomatoes there already by the 1100s....along with those inexplicable chipmunks and herds of antelope mentioned in the Codex!  :D

--WARNING!!!--

derynifanatic64

We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Ta-Daaaaa!!!!  The 1:6 scale medieval feast finally arrived in the mail, only 4 days late thanks to the Postal Disservice.  Since a picture paints a thousand words, I'll let the photos speak for themselves.  Here is my "Thank You" note to my friend who crafted this polymer clay feast for me.

A short while ago in a Kingdom far, far away....

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

A feast well worth waiting for! Lady Deborah did an amazing job.

I hope they saved at least one piece of pizza for poor Sir Jass! 

-- Old English Litany

Evie

I hope so too!  But if they don't, he can have the bunch of grapes I forgot to put out instead.  Or maybe he can have some of the modern foods Deborah slipped into the package as well.  Do you think Jass would like chocolate eclairs, hot cocoa, doughnuts, lemonade, or maybe a margarita?   :D

And Denis says, "Hey, what about ME?  I wanted pizza too!"   Poor guy, stuck in Dhassa where even the wine is bad....   ;D

Duncan forgot to mention the plate of pears poached in wine when he was describing the feast.  And if anyone wonders why the carrots are purple, that's because the most common colors for medieval carrots were purple and white.  Orange was less common, if it existed yet, though apparently desirable enough that carrots were later bred for the trait, resulting in our modern variety.  It is still possible to find purple and white carrots, though.  I think specialty growers still keep those lines in stock.

--WARNING!!!--

KK

These are wonderful, Evie!  And what a fantastic feast for the Littles!