• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,559
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 366
Total: 366
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 07:31:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

tenworld

Quote from: Evie on October 02, 2012, 03:20:28 PM

So...any ideas for names?  Colors?  Keeping in mind that I'm a rank beginner at this and know diddly-squat about horses?   :D

are you up to an Appaloosa?

Evie

Probably not.  From what I've gathered so far from more experienced model horse customizers, it's probably better for a newbie (which I would be) to start out with a fairly solid color, with some color difference (if any) primarily in the mane and tail.  I'll probably pull up lots of pictures of horses until I find one that's both pretty and looks fairly simple for a beginner to copy, and then just go with that.

It might be a little while before I get around to that project, though.  I've found out that the melt marks in one of his hooves will need to be filled in with Apoxie putty first, which I will need to find and buy, and then I'll also have to buy suitable primer and paint for him.  So the horse project has been shelved for the moment until I can afford and locate those supplies, and finish a few other things I've already got the materials on hand for, like Kelson's bench and possibly his bed as well.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Here's a new project for the littles:

Trial 1:6 scale rosary by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Using documentation found at http://www.solarflarecreations.com.au/rosary.html and some shiral-colored beads sent to me by K. Norton on the Playscale Yahoo Group, I set out to create a 1:6 scale rosary.  This is a trial version, using the darker "amber" beads as the gauds between each decade of the lighter shiral beads.  I am not sure there is enough contrast between the two colors, though, and both color beads are the same size, so I may replace the darker amber beads with something in a contrasting color and slightly larger size.  A reddish coral would have been a popular choice in the Middle Ages, though lapis lazuli, garnet, or malachite would also look good with the shiral, I would think, and ornamental gold beads would also work.  Red silk cord was often used, and the string was not knotted between the beads in order to allow them to slide freely on the cord (for ease of counting them off during prayer).  I haven't decided yet whether to create a closed loop with a descender and cross on it like in the style of rosary that moderns are used to (which was also used in the Middle Ages), or to go with an abbreviated, straight style often favored by men in medieval times, since they were more practical to tuck into a belt or a pouch.  If I have enough beads for more than one style, I might try both and see which style my little bishops favor.  Medieval rosaries sometimes had pendant crosses or crucifixes, but sometimes were just adorned with tassels, or had other sorts of charms attached.  I have some tiny cross charms, so I might add one of those to one end and, if going with a straight style, put a tassel on the other end.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Very nice, Evie.  I especially enjoyed the link to the article, since I am experimenting with jewelry (beads and wire-wrapping) myself.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Finished the trial string over my lunch break:

Five decade rosary by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Testing the final length here, minus the eventual descender and cross.  If I replace the gauds with larger beads, it will end up a few millimeters longer, but not much longer.  There should be an additional gaud at the beginning of the string also, but I forgot to start the series with a dark bead first. Those darker amber beads definitely blend in a little too well, but they might look nicer strung on their own cord.  Next time I'm supply shopping, I'll see if I can find some slightly larger beads in a different color to serve as the gauds and modify this string, then use the leftovers from that pack and the dark amber beads to make a separate string.  Originally I was a little worried that these beads would be just a bit too large, since they're not all that much smaller than beads on a modern-day 1:1 scale rosary.  But then I remembered that modern rosaries are hooked together with little metal loops which take up space between each bead, so when strung loosely on cord, a larger bead will take up the same amount of space and work out fine.  This loop is long enough for one of my ladies to wear necklace-style, and should also drape over a belt nicely.  If I ever want to make one of these in 1:12 scale, though, I'll definitely want to use itteh bitteh seed beads for that project.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on October 23, 2012, 11:29:38 AM
Very nice, Evie.  I especially enjoyed the link to the article, since I am experimenting with jewelry (beads and wire-wrapping) myself.

Ooh, so now you need a fancy beaded necklace to put your lovely gryphon pendant on!   Might I suggest something in Corwyn green, perhaps with black and gold accents?  :D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

If only I could afford the emeralds and gold to duplicate the Furstana emerald necklace!  Of course, I'd have to borrow the origninal from the Ducal treasury to make sure it was an accurate copy.   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

LOL!  Fortunately there's ample precedent for fake "jewels" even as far back as the Middle Ages.   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Evie

I'll admit to a moderate amount of patience, but my eyesight is actually awful.  I'm naturally extremely nearsighted (before the days of ultralight plastic lenses, I had to start wearing contact lenses because my Coke-bottle-bottom glass lens prescription got too heavy to wear comfortably), yet as I've aged I've started growing slightly far-sighted as well, and it's hard to do crafts stuff while holding everything out at arm's length!  I can only do close up work like threading a needle or painting doll features because I have a magnifying visor with built-in lighting.  My fine motor skills are good for some things, but not so great for others.  I'm hopeless with video game controllers, for instance, though the constant practice is starting to improve my mad hand-sewing skillz.   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Mini book by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The littles are starting to complain about getting bored during the long workday, so I tried my hand at making a book for them.   I figured this title looked like it might be right up their alley, if a bit more modern than their usual literature....

Mini book by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

There's not actually anything printed on the pages.  I just wanted to see if I could figure out the basic process of putting one together before I get all fancy with it.  The cover is stiffened with thin cardboard.  If I make more of these, I'll probably line the back of the cardboard with some white or marbled endpapers to make it look more like a book cover, or at least with some glossy white paper if I'm making a paperback.

Hm...I wonder if the Mini-Deryni might want mini-versions of their own histories?     :D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Do you mean something like Deryni Half-Rising?  Deryni Checkmite?  Not-Quite-So-High Deryni?   ;D

*Ducks and runs*

-- Old English Litany

Evie

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

OK, a bit of explanatory background here first.  Someone I met on another forum for folks who do 1:6 figures, props, and dioramas had expressed interest in possibly trading some of her items for a set of furnishings I'm making that are too modern in style for my Mini-Deryni.  She specializes in polymer clay items, including miniature food.  So that inspired this response from my littles:

Mini-Deryni Tales 3 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

--WARNING!!!--