• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,560
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 384
Total: 384
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 10:58:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Well, plans for the day changed slightly, as plans ofttimes do.  After I bought DS's new shoes, I realized the shoe shop was directly across the street from the hobby shop (where they sell supplies for model railways and the dioramas for them), so I stopped by there to see if they had anything suitable for making playscale props with.  They didn't have much of what I was looking for, aside from a set of clamps made for holding together miniature furniture and the like when it's being glued together, so I picked up a set of those and asked the sales clerk if he knew where I might find some more of the scalloped wood trim like the stuff DH gave me to use on Kelson's bench (see my earlier post in this thread).  He didn't, but he informed me that there was a dollhouse shop a mile or two away, and said they might have some dollhouse mouldings and railings in stock.  So I looked it up in my phone's GPS and soon showed up in 1:12 scale collectors' heaven. 

Unfortunately nearly all of their stock was geared to either dollhouse items (the majority of it), with a few American Girls doll accessories tossed in (which is 1:4 scale and a good deal too large for my Mini-Deryni), but the salesladies were extremely helpful and dredged up just about everything they could think of that would fit a 1:6 medieval theme, and even quite a few items that really didn't, but which they showed off just in case I might find some use for it.  I didn't have much cash to spare by that point, having just spent a bunch on my son's running shoes, but there were a few items that I just couldn't pass up because 1) the prices on them were much lower than I'd be able to find them elsewhere, and 2) I wouldn't have the resources to make them myself.  So what were they?  You'll see in just a bit.

From there, I went to Michaels, where I picked up a few more low-priced items, and then Walmart, where I picked up a couple more.  So all in all, it was a very productive day.  And during all of that, it suddenly hit me...this is Duke Alaric's birthday!  And that meant....

PARTY TIME!!!!   :D

Happy Birthday, Alaric by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

So Kelson and Araxie decided to bring the birthday gifts to Duke Alaric.  Of course his wife and cousins were invited to watch him open his presents, which were presented in two new unfinished chests.  The dark wood stain (not pictured) will be applied to them later.  (Or there's a chance they might end up getting painted instead.)  The chests originally came in a two-pack, the smaller one nested inside the larger ones.  The packs of polymer clay are silver and translucent white.  (It looks more tan in this photo than it actually is.)  I plan to make prop candles for the candlesticks with the translucent white, and see if I can make a tankard or two with the silver Fimo.  The two wooden balls are molds to form polymer clay bowls around so I can make some playscale pottery, and the tiny red container has some "museum wax" in it, which is some tacky wax that can be used to set small items into place non-permanently, or even into doll hands so that they can hold stuff.  The residue washes off with soap and water, and it's doll safe..  And the tiny package in front of the large chest contains dowel ends.  Those will eventually be either curtain rod finials or hanging tapestry rod finials.

(The unfinished wooden items and polymer clay came from Michaels, while the candlesticks, benches, and doll stands are from the dollhouse shop.)

A closer view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And here's a closer view of the party attendees with the gift clutter out of frame.

Checking out the candlestick by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Alaric turns one of the candlesticks upside down to see if it might work as a shiral crystal stand that way.  It will stand upright either way, so that's a possible alternate use for a single prop.  I certainly don't mind having two props for the price of one!

Gigi peeks in on the action by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Gigi decided she wanted to keep a closer eye on what was happening.

Doll stands by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The dollhouse store had only two Barbie/Ken sized doll stands, so I bought them both.  They are mostly hidden under skirts, kilts, or the lower hems of tunics, and when viewed from the front, the back pole is fairly well hidden.  If I planned to use them in a permanent display, I might paint the bases to match the flooring or glue tiny gravel or fake greenery to them for an outdoor-themed display, but since they'll likely end up getting used in a variety of settings, I'll just leave them as-is.  I've been looking for some decent stands for a while, as it's harder to pose dolls for their photoshoots if they have to be propped against walls in order to stand up. Most of the Barbie and Ken stands I've seen on eBay are plastic, and these are both sturdier and cost me less than the ones on eBay.

The new benches by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

So what were the littles sitting upon?  Here are the benches I found at the dollhouse store today.  As you can see, these dollhouse scale tables are also the perfect size for a playscale bench, and I got them for $5 each.  (I've seen some similar tables online, but I wasn't sure if they would be high enough to serve as playscale benches until I saw them in person, and also most of them ran a lot higher in price.  As in $25-$50 each rather than $5!) I figured at that price, it was worth it to me to buy them rather than try to figure out how to carve turned legs myself without a wood lathe.  I will still finish my bench in progress with the scalloped edges, though; that's why I picked up the wood stain as well as the wood glue.  The glue came in handy tonight after the party was over.

Another view of benches by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's a closer shot of one of the benches.  I think this is the bench that had the loose cross brace.  One of the longer cross-braces for the legs had come unglued while the benches were in storage at the doll shop, but it wasn't chipped or broken, so since the store only had the two benches, I told the salesladies that I would go ahead and take both anyway, since I could easily glue the brace back on once I had the wood glue.  I hadn't even glued it back on when I set them out for this photoshoot, but just the pressure of the legs on each end of the crossbeam was enough to hold it in place even before I glued it back into position.

Luke snoopervises the gluing by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

But once we were done with the benches, I figured that would be as good a time as any to make the needed repair.  Luke, of course, had to snoopervise the process.  I just added some wood glue to each end of the cross-brace, stuck it back in place, and clamped it to dry overnight.  It should be as good as new by tomorrow.  The clamps are new too (and especially designed for miniatures crafting), as is the circle cutter, with which I'm hoping to cut a round tabletop as well as any other round pieces I might end up needing.

So there's the long-delayed update, and now that I've got my own wood glue and wood stain, hopefully I can get around to finishing Kelson's fancy-edged bench soon too.  I've also got another project in mind, now that I'm starting to collect some suitable props for it and/or the materials to make others, but I'll report on that at another time.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

A surprise for the littles by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I got this vintage Marx horse at a great price on eBay.  It needs a bit of loving restoration before it's ready to ride, but hopefully I'll be able to get around to that soon.  I plan to clean him up, sand away any blemishes, and then prime and repaint him some suitable color.  I haven't decided whose horse he will be yet (and in any event, I suspect he'll end up getting shared around quite a bit, as I can't afford an entire stable of them), but it would make the most sense to give him to one of the figures whose hip joints are capable of bending so his legs are in proper riding position.  Unfortunately that means he's less likely to end up as Alaric's, Duncan's, or Sextus's horse (which is a shame, as I'd rather like him for good old patient Murray!), but I know Dhugal has the older sort of hip joint that allows for spreading the legs apart enough to sit in a saddle properly, and I think Kelson does too. Denis would also be able to sit a horse with no problem.  I haven't tested with the ladies yet, but since Helena and Richenda are both on Fashionista bodies, I suspect they'll have similar difficulties to Alaric and Duncan.  Araxie might be able to ride astride, though, and someone has pointed me to a website belonging to someone else who does 1:6 medieval dolls, and she's even got a 14th C. style side-saddle on it (not the practical and secure sort used in later centuries, unfortunately but more like a sideways cushioned chair seat), so maybe my other ladies can eventually ride that way.

Finding his feet by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

As you can see, his legs are articulated and therefore poseable, and his head is somewhat poseable also.  I hope I can manage to restore him to "pretty as new."  I'm still reading up on painting equine models so I can learn some customizing tips before I start sanding him down and applying the primer and paint.

So...any ideas for names?  Colors?  Keeping in mind that I'm a rank beginner at this and know diddly-squat about horses?   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I think Dhugal is in need of some formal court robes.  He reminds me of a Northern barbarian Duke compared to the finery of southern Gwynedd.  (Though he is probably perfectly happy that way.) :)

If the horse was meant for Morgan, I might suggest the name Ruffian (with all due respect to Alkari).  :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

I already have fabric for more dressy tunics and trews for Dhugal.  Maybe next week I can get around to sewing some, if my schedule is less busy.  And yes, given his druthers, he'd rather not get all dolled up...pardon the pun.  ;)

I suspect that we have a mare, given the significant lack of even the faintest suggestion of a "boy bump" on her undercarriage.  I could be wrong.  But I think I've seen a few photos of Marx horses that were meant to be stallions and were sculpted at least somewhat accordingly.  If this is a gelding, someone got overenthusiastic with the snipping, that's all I'm saying 'bout that.  :D

Kelson gets first dibs by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Kelson was delighted to put the new horse through its paces.  His hip joints easily adapted to the new mount.

Here's a side view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's a side view of Kelson on the horse.  His Majesty is in need of some riding boots.  Or footwear in general, really.  I'll have to look into that soon.

Gigi takes a closer look by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Gigi meets the newcomer to the family.

Luke puts in an appearance by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Where there are Mini-Deryni, you'll find Luke nearby.

Seated "sidesaddle" by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here is a frontal view of Mirjana sitting "sidesaddle."  Her skirts completely conceal her legs.

Frontal view astride by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And here's Mirjana riding astride.  Again, since she wears full skirts, almost no leg is visible.  And she would probably be wearing trews under the skirt to prevent chafing anyway, so if the fabric matches the skirt, the added garment would hardly be noticeable.

Side view, riding astride by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Mirjana's skirts almost completely preserve her modesty when she is riding astride.  No need to sew a caparison for the horse, if the rider is going to wear a long gown!

Sidesaddle view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

If Mirjana were in an early period sidesaddle (which is pretty much just a padded chair mounted sideways on a horse's back, not the more practical form of saddle that developed in later centuries), she'd be seated something like this.

Fashionista Ken hip joint fail by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Sextus demonstrates how useless the Fashionista Ken body's hip joints are at doing anything that requires the figure to sit or stand with legs apart.  He has to adapt a very knock-kneed sit and then turn his  legs out at the knees in order to roughly simulate any sort of riding position.

Long tunics help hide the flaws by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Fortunately the longer tunics in fashion during this period help to conceal Sextus's awkward horse-riding posture.  So maybe it's not too out of the question for Alaric and Duncan to ride after all, as long as they're wearing properly concealing clothing.

Old seams and glue by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

You can see how the old glue has yellowed with age.  There are a few other flaws also.  But all of these should disappear after a bit of TLC.

Hoof problems by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Dhugal plans to get on with fixing this as well as he can manage.

In for the kill by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The fierce predator goes for the herbivore's tender belly.  Oops....  ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

That 'fierce predator' looks like a thinner version of Zane the Insane--of course, most cats this side of Garfield are thinner than my Pudgy Panther.

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on October 02, 2012, 09:28:31 PM
That 'fierce predator' looks like a thinner version of Zane the Insane--of course, most cats this side of Garfield are thinner than my Pudgy Panther.

Maybe Zane was lucky enough to take down a real horse?   ;)

All right, more updates.  Despite Hubby having surgery yesterday, I managed to find time to add a few items to the Mini-Deryni wardrobe.  The first find was discovered while I was at Walmart picking up Hubby's prescription meds:

New girdle by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I discovered an easy way to put together a medieval girdle (what we would call a belt nowadays).  This is a ready-made beaded chain sold in the crafts section of Walmart with the beading and jewelry-making stuff.  It is the right length to make a bracelet from, but came without a clasp.  I found a different sort of clasp finding with an S shaped hook in back and used it to link one end of the chain with a jump ring somewhere in the middle of it, so the extra chain dangles below the new "buckle."  The red of the charms and beads in the chain exactly matches the red beads on Mirjana's bliaut.  So all in all, this girdle took all of 15 seconds to "make."  All I had to do was take the chain section and the clasp out of the original packaging and use the clasp to hook the chain together around the doll's waist.  I especially loved the red enameled "doughnut shapes" on the girdle. They remind me of Anglo-Saxon inlaid garnet work, such as you'd find in the Sutton Hoo or Staffordshire Hoard treasure troves, only set in silver rather than in gold.   :D  :

Here's an example of the sort of inlaid garnet work I mean.

I also got around to making another surcoat that can be worn either in Court or over armor.

Kelson shows off a new surcoat by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I was going to make a new Court tunic for Dhugal to wear, but when I went to pack some fabric into my "to-do bag" to take with me to the hospital, I couldn't find my leftover blue velvet, and then I discovered I didn't have any tiny McLain heraldic badges like I thought I did.  So Kelson gently reminded me that I had some iron-on Haldane lions and that he was long overdue getting a surcoat with his Haldane heraldry on it.  It took me half an hour to painstakingly cut out the first lion (I was trying to cut away as much of the original white background fabric as possible), only to ruin the surcoat fabric I was ironing it onto by having the iron's setting too hot.  So this was my second attempt.  I think it turned out pretty well.  I used Alaric's surcoat to give me the dimensions to make this one.  I might still add a bit of gold trim around the neckline like on Alaric's, but that will depend on what I've got on hand.  But I haven't forgotten Dhugal, and he'll get some spiffy stuff once I dig up his fabric stash.  I actually have a small supply of Dhugal-specific fabrics stashed away somewhere.

Back view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I don't keep doll stands at the office, so this is a somewhat blurry back view, but you can see the length of the surcoat in relation to the undertunic.

Side view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And here you see the side splits in the lower surcoat to allow for ease of movement.  The surcoat has generous arm openings as well as the high side splits, and the sides are only sewn from about mid chest to hip level, making this article of clothing easy to put on over pretty much anything from undertunics to full armor.  This makes the surcoat a very versatile garment.

New carpet by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I originally bought this carpet for Duncan's study.  It just arrived in this afternoon's mail, and I noticed it has the Haldane colors in it, so it could serve just as well in Kelson's war pavilion.

Claimed by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Kelson seems to be laying claim to the carpet already.  I hope Duncan won't be too disappointed!   :D  It's very hard to find miniature carpet that is large enough to go with 1:6 furnishings.  Most are only big enough for a doormat or the like when used with 1:6 scale figures rather than dollhouse sized ones.  But this one is about 8" x 12", or the equivalent of a 4' x 6' area rug for us, making it a decent size for the Mini-Deryni.

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on October 05, 2012, 02:22:53 PM
]

Maybe Zane was lucky enough to take down a real horse?   ;)

Give it stripes and it could be a lion taking down a zebra.

Elkhound

If you gave the horse blue eyes, it would be good as a Companion for a set of Valdemar figures.  (Now THERE's and idea for a crossover!  Where would Deryni powers be on the scale of MindGifts to TrueMagic?)

Evie

The littles go shopping by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Duncan and Helena decided to accompany me on a shopping spree today.  They brought a friend along to chaperone them.  Their new friend isn't a Mini-Deryni--I think she's going to end up being a Browncoat in the Firefly universe instead, but she hasn't told me her story yet.  Since we were going out into the modern world, the littles decided to wear modern clothing for this expedition.  Duncan spent the entire day studiously trying not to notice Helena's bare legs....

Behind and beneath them, you can see that the shopping trip was a success.  And that's my daughter in the background, photobombing the trio.  We had stopped by Panera Bread for a late lunch.

The new wardrobe by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

When we found this wardrobe in World Market, the littles instantly fell in love with it.  They decided it would be a wonderful surprise present for King Kelson and Queen Araxie, since it's in the Haldane colors.  And it was the last one in the store, too.

Alas, it doesn't lead to Narnia.... by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Unfortunately, this wardrobe doesn't contain a secret entrance to Narnia.  But it does have two drawers and a couple of hooks for hanging clothes and accessories.  I may replace the hooks with slightly larger ones and put a dowel in for a closet rod.  I haven't decided yet.

Wall hanging and/or area floorcloth by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This place mat was on clearance sale at World Market.  I figured it could serve double duty as either a wall hanging or a painted floor cloth, so I bought it.

The littles try it out by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here are Duncan, Helena, and their friend trying out the new floorcloth, so you can get an idea of its size compared to theirs.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Hobby Lobby Mini-Deryni swag by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I got so excited about showing you what I found at World Market today, I forgot to post the Hobby Lobby finds!  Pictured from left to right:  Silver garland drape fabric from the Christmas section, which is shown doubled, since a single layer is a bit too thin for my purposes.  I want to back it with black fabric as shown to give the illusion of chainmail, since life is too short for me to try to make little 1:6 chainmail armor in varying sizes out of actual metal links.  Next to that, the chain of enameled links will make a nice belt for someone, paired with the clasp beside it (lower middle of photo) as a belt buckle.  Above that is a framed picture meant for a dollhouse.  I plan to replace the current picture in the frame with something else, possibly my "oil painting" of Duncan.  The little key would look nice hanging from someone's belt, possibly Richenda's.  The little shrine below the key could go in either Duncan's study or his bedroom, or even Saint Camber's chapel.  It's around 4" high, which would be the equivalent to 2' in their scale.  I don't know if it would go on a wall or a shelf yet, but either would work.  And the remaining jewelry clasp with the tiger-eye gemstone set in it will be another belt buckle.  I may use it with some black velvet ribbon I have that's just the right width for a belt.

Belt and buckle by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I think they'll go quite well together, and with those colors in the medallions, this could go with pretty much anyone's colors, since there's red for Haldane, sky blue for McLain, and even a few hints of Transha yellow-gold and Corwyn green in there.

Shrine close-up by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The new shrine is a bit more dimensional than normally seen in artwork of the period.  Deryni illusion in the iconography perhaps?  Those talented Torenthi artists....   :D

Frame, key, and belt buckle by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

No, Helena, you can't keep a framed painting of Father Duncan on the shelf in your box bed.  I'm sorry.  Sister Therese would be scandalized if she ever peeked in there and discovered it.  I'll find some other, more suitable place to put the oil painting. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4s0zwgjvtolhr0/FotoSketcher%20-%20Duncan%20in%20Oil.jpg

This is the picture I have in mind, by the way. My Dropbox wouldn't let me do it as an image link, so hopefully this link to the page will work.

Illusory chainmail by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The illusion breaks down a bit at this close range, but at arm's length, it resembles linked armor enough to pass muster.  And I may just use it for sleeves and chausses, since I've got enough leather scraps and faux leather for making tiny brigandine armor (I also have itteh bitteh metal studs for the "rivets"), and they'd normally wear a surcoat over their armor as well.

I also picked up more of the scalloped wooden trim, enough for Kelson to have a fancy canopy edging on his four-poster bed when I get around to making it, and some foam for his mattress.  I'll need to cut it all down to the right size, but I can't do that until I figure out the final dimensions for the bed.  And I won't start on the bed until I've finished making Kelson's bench, but I've started gluing that together at least, and just have to add the legs on now, then stain and gild it, and I'll be done.

OK, so that's it for tonight!

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Great finds, Evie!  The wardrobe is perfect for the Royal apartments in Rhemuth.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

That's what I thought, and it will also help to contain their rapidly growing collection of swag.   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Nice comic strip.  I see Alaric claimed the new belt.  Where in the world did you find a pink wine cabinet?  Not what I would expect to find in a little girl's doll house.  :D

-- Old English Litany

Evie

I got them on eBay.  There are actually two sets with matching cabinets but different sets of bottles, which I'll post pictures of when time permits, but this week has been a little crazy-making for me.  (My daughter has missed school most of the week with unexplained abdominal pains that don't seem to match the pattern for appendicitis, but don't line up with standard symptoms for a stomach bug either, so we've already had two visits to her doctor and are waiting on results of some lab tests to come back so we can hopefully figure out what's going on with her.)  I think the sets were made in China.  There is apparently a bigger market for fashion dolls and ball jointed dolls as adult collectables in Asia than here in the US, so you get a lot more in the way of props and accessories for them there, including adorable little sushi plates and such that, unfortunately, would look very out of place on a Gwyneddan table.  And since there isn't the assumption over there that "dolls are only for children," they don't have the same sort of public outcry we would get here from parents up in arms because "OMG, they're trying to turn Barbie into a lush now, and what sort of message does that send to our sweet impressionable children!"   (Although actual Barbie brand wine goblets and beer mugs can sometimes be found as well, dating back a few decades to a time when not all Barbie clothes were in garish shades of pink and purple, Barbie had "vast tracts of land" and an impossibly small waist, and parents were less likely to go postal over a child's dollhouse containing adult beverages. :D )

At any rate, the same company makes all sorts of furniture sets for the 11.5"-12" sized dolls and action figures.  They mostly come in the same garish pink plastic, but collectors tend to repaint them and turn them into surprisingly stylish looking furnishings.  Again, unfortunately most of those aren't very adaptable for medieval diorama purposes, but since they can be assembled and disassembled, I figured I could use the framework of these, perhaps adding an extra shelf or two in the lower section where the wine rack is now and removing the "etched glass" doors, and turn them into bookshelves.  Or since my daughter might shoot me if I disassemble the one she worked so hard to put together, I might at least use some of the "stained glass paint" to modify the doors, and the top half might continue to be used as an aumbry to store drinking vessels.  That would take some historical liberties with medieval furniture, but it's a fantasy medieval world, so I suppose not completely implausible.  The etched pattern on those doors is a stylized fleur-de-lys, though, so if I end up painting them, Alaric might end up claiming them due to the similarity between that motif and his "flory counterflory" bordure on his coat of arms.   :D

And yes, Alaric has also claimed the belt, at least for the moment.  But that clasp I'm using as a buckle makes it fully adjustable, so there's no telling who will end up wearing it next. 

--WARNING!!!--