• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 382
Total: 382
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 05:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Well, it's likely she'll be getting that nice, flexible body before she gets a queenly wardrobe to wear with it, so in the meantime Kelson will just have to figure out some innovative way of keeping her...um...more or less covered....  ;)   ;D

Though speaking of a queenly wardrobe, my copy of KKB has gone walkabout, and I can't remember any particular descriptions of anything that Araxie is wearing in any of her scenes, so if anyone happens upon such descriptions, could you drop me a line?  Otherwise, I'll just come up with something "generically royal" in the Haldane colors.  Also, I remember the rings that Kelson didn't her at their betrothal, but not the description of the one he actually ended up choosing, so that might help as well.    :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on June 25, 2012, 02:27:13 PM
Quote from: Elkhound on June 25, 2012, 02:19:37 PM
Desert Rose is right.  But I still think of the French Revolution every time I see those body-less heads.  ("And the knitting women count. . . one.")

Should I make a Mme. Defarge action figure? ;)

Eeeek! 

Does anyone remember the show "Emerald Point NAS", that was on about a season back in the 1980s?  It was intended to me one of the 'prime time soaps', like DALLAS and DYNASTY, but with a military setting.  In one episode a Navy officer was a suspect in a murder in town; the Admiral commanding the NAS insisted that the officer be tried by court martial, while the local prosecutor was trying to get him turned over the civilian justice, and wias implying that a military trial would be a show--while the Admiral apparently felt that a civilian trial would be a witch hunt.  The Admiral insured that it would be a real trial, and that if he was found guilty he would be executed, "And if you really want to, you can sit under the scaffold and knit!"

I suspect that part of the reason it never caught on was that most of the literary allusions in the scripts went right over most of the audience's heads.

Evie

LOL @ the Admiral's quip!   That's a shame about the show not catching on, but yes, literary humor does tend to depend heavily on an audience of avid, well-rounded readers, which modern generations are unfortunately less likely to be.   :(

Tonight's update is quite brief.  Araxie got her facial paint sealed, and while the sealer dried, I got her new body ready for her.  So tonight, Gwynedd has a whole Queen Araxie, much to Kelson's great joy!

Kelson and Araxie by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

As soon as Araxie got her new body, Kelson secured some borrowed clothing for his new bride to wear until she can get her own.  The backdrop for this portrait is some geometric print fabric that will probably end up being used for a gown, with the solid color strip at the bottom being used to make the matching trim.  (Why yes, that's a pillowcase I found on clearance for less than a yard of each fabric would have cost at a fabric store; why do you ask?)

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on June 26, 2012, 02:22:37 PM
Well, it's likely she'll be getting that nice, flexible body before she gets a queenly wardrobe to wear with it, so in the meantime Kelson will just have to figure out some innovative way of keeping her...um...more or less covered....  ;)   ;D

Though speaking of a queenly wardrobe, my copy of KKB has gone walkabout, and I can't remember any particular descriptions of anything that Araxie is wearing in any of her scenes, so if anyone happens upon such descriptions, could you drop me a line?  Otherwise, I'll just come up with something "generically royal" in the Haldane colors.  Also, I remember the rings that Kelson didn't her at their betrothal, but not the description of the one he actually ended up choosing, so that might help as well.    :D

Considering her interest in dressing her characters, KK is alas, unspecific about Araxie's wardrobe. I do remember that A is wearing a green gown  on the evening of her betrothal to Kelson, although thre is not much detail about what shade it was or what sort of trimming it had. She was also wearing a green silk veil. But it was probably a fairly formal court gown, seeing that Uncle Letald was playing host to two Kingly neighbors.

I remember that A's wedding gown is pale yellow Forcinn silk, again, not many details about the cut, trim and accessories.

Why would Kelson worry all that much about her clothes?  he probably likes her best wearing nothing!  ;D

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on June 25, 2012, 02:25:02 PM
Quote from: Jerusha on June 25, 2012, 02:08:42 PM
I have to agree with DesertRose - the left one is the best.  I like the one in the middle, but it looks smaller than the others. 

Yes, I noticed that as well.  I think the overall head size is at least roughly the same as the others, but she has a smaller face due to the hairline starting lower on the head and the facial features arranged lower on the head in order to compensate.  Because the resulting face is smaller than the others, she does look more like a teen than a full grown adult.  Granted, Araxie is only 19 or thereabouts when we first meet her, but that's close enough to a fully mature adult that she should have a mostly-adult face by that age.

Maybe she could be a young Briony, especially with the cute dimple.

But if that is the case, please remove her before Kelson "drops in."   ;D

LOL!  Um, yeah.  I suspect if that were the case and Kelson were to "drop in" on Alaric's young and nubile "baby darling"--especially if quite literally on her, and while in a state of deshabille--Alaric might be tempted to have a few curt words with the young man, possibly even punctuated by sword point.  Even if Kelson is the King.   ;D

Kelson is probably the ONLY man in Gwynedd who wouldn't end up as a Shish-ke-bab if Alaric discovered him  in that situation! Bu the embarrassment factor would be enormous all the way around. 

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Quote from: Shiral on June 27, 2012, 02:53:22 AM

Considering her interest in dressing her characters, KK is alas, unspecific about Araxie's wardrobe. I do remember that A is wearing a green gown  on the evening of her betrothal to Kelson, although thre is not much detail about what shade it was or what sort of trimming it had. She was also wearing a green silk veil. But it was probably a fairly formal court gown, seeing that Uncle Letald was playing host to two Kingly neighbors.

Well, green fabric I've got (the same sort I used for Richenda's embroidered and beaded surcoat), so that's easy enough.  No green silk, but I'll see if I can find some in the remnants bin next time I'm at Hancock's or Joann's.  I do have some silk brocade in an aqua color that might look good paired with an emerald green as an undergown/overgown combo (I'm thinking of something in Romanesque style), though I'll have to look at them together to be sure.

Something along these lines, with a paler green for the undergown and a darker green for the overgown, with either spiffy trim or embroidery at cuffs and overgown hem.

I remember that A's wedding gown is pale yellow Forcinn silk, again, not many details about the cut, trim and accessories.

I have ivory silk but no yellow of any shade.  I'll keep an eye open for some.

Why would Kelson worry all that much about her clothes?  he probably likes her best wearing nothing!  ;D

Oh, I'm sure he does, but since they're currently sharing accommodations with two Bishop, two Dukes, a Duchess, a Schola magistra, a rather randy black sheep of the Arilan family, and a young lady visiting either from a different generation or another universe altogether, he might want Araxie clothed in their presences!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

This is the description of Araxie's betrothal ring:  "a limpid sapphire, water-pale, polished en cabochon like the moonstones on either side."  There is no desciption of her wedding ring at all.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

She may or may not have had a separate wedding ring, as sometimes the same ring was used for both.  But that ring description is helpful.  Thanks!

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

The blue robe with the gold braid suggest to me a StarFleet science officer.

tenworld

Quote from: Elkhound on July 02, 2012, 09:46:03 PM
The blue robe with the gold braid suggest to me a StarFleet science officer.

So maybe Vulcan is where Deryni originated?  A ship crashed in the northern wastes in early AD?  They intermarried, lost their pointed ears and their physical strength and had to compensate by improving metal skills.  And of course the Vulcan pinch doesnt work over armor.

Evie

Tell me Kelson doesn't have to wait for pon farr before he can get a royal heir....   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Perhaps a ST:TNG fanfic where they play a holodeck program based on KK's books?

Evie

That's about the only way I can see a ST/Deryni crossover working.  Either that or an away team beaming down into Gwynedd, but I suspect even the Deryni would be startled enough by that to start shooting arrows first and only think of asking questions later.   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on July 04, 2012, 05:27:57 PM
That's about the only way I can see a ST/Deryni crossover working.  Either that or an away team beaming down into Gwynedd, but I suspect even the Deryni would be startled enough by that to start shooting arrows first and only think of asking questions later.   :D

I think they'd have enough sense to beam down into some out-of-the-way spot.

I once read a TNG fanfic in which they did a holodeck adventure based on THE WIZARD OF OZ.  Data was the Tin Woodman, Worf the Cowardly Lion, Riker the Scarecrow, Troi Dorothy, Spot Toto, Piccard the Wizard, Guinan Glinda, Crusher the Wicked Witch of the West, and Wesley the Chief of the Winged Monkeys.

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on July 05, 2012, 07:45:10 AM
Quote from: Evie on July 04, 2012, 05:27:57 PM
That's about the only way I can see a ST/Deryni crossover working.  Either that or an away team beaming down into Gwynedd, but I suspect even the Deryni would be startled enough by that to start shooting arrows first and only think of asking questions later.   :D

I think they'd have enough sense to beam down into some out-of-the-way spot.

Um...you have seen Star Trek, yes?   Despite the presence of Vulcans on the show, there were numerous occasions in which logic did not seem to apply, or at times even wave from a distance.   ;)   (And this is coming from a Trek fan!  :D)

I once read a TNG fanfic in which they did a holodeck adventure based on THE WIZARD OF OZ.  Data was the Tin Woodman, Worf the Cowardly Lion, Riker the Scarecrow, Troi Dorothy, Spot Toto, Piccard the Wizard, Guinan Glinda, Crusher the Wicked Witch of the West, and Wesley the Chief of the Winged Monkeys.

LOL!  Oddly enough, that casting isn't hard to imagine at all.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--