• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 06:43:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 229
Total: 229

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieUK

Don't normally follow this thread, but popped in to see the latest and here's Kelson looking like an armoured Father Christmas LOL!  Have the reindeer been getting a bit aggressive?  :D

Evie

LOL!  Well, that would explain why he needs to wear so many layers!  I'm sure reindeer bites must be quite nasty!   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

So today I got around to altering the gambeson:

You can just see the top of the collar (the white bit) peeking out from under the armor and tunics.  I am still keeping the top red layer as a surcoat rather than as a jupon or whatever it was meant to be originally, because I had so much trouble getting the armor back on over just one layer of padding, I'm afraid I'd split the seams open if I try putting it back on over two.  I wonder if the original owner tried to launder the outfit before mailing it and it shrank in the wash, or if the original figure had narrower shoulders than Kelson's, or if the outfit was just placed on the original body before the arms and head were added on, because it's almost like trying to squeeze toothpaste back into the tube, wrestling Kelson's arms and shoulders up through the fairly narrow waists of these garments!

And now for a sneak preview of coming attractions:

Here's the basic idea I have for turning half an Easter Egg into a Norman style helmet with a nasal guard.  (It would look a lot spiffier than this when done, of course!)  I could even use part of the fabric from the original coif to make the mail portion that normally is attached to the bottom edge of the helm to help protect the neck area.  The helmet bands could be cut from posterboard, or I might attempt to sculpt them from the moldable plastic I used to make the setting for Duncan's ring and my practice attempt at a dagger, which would allow for fancier ornamentation similar to that found on the Coppergate or Sutton Hoo helmets.  (OK, maybe not quite that fancy!  My sculpting skills aren't that good.)  I already have silver and gold paints on hand for the final transformation from plastic bits and bobs to a proper "metal" helmet.

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

Looks Like His Majesty is rockin' out with his iPod Royale, complete with earbuds. =o)

Nigel (exasperated)"Kelson, have you heard a  WORD the Privy Council has said to you about needing another heir?"

Kelson (suprised) "What did you say, Uncle? I thought we were discussing a need for more hares!"

And.... I have to admit, Kelson does look a  BIT like Santa!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Note to self--give Kelson some summertime fighting gear, not trimmed in white fur!   :D

I'm sure Kelson would love an iPod if the technology were available.  He is a teen, after all, even if he's King of Gwynedd!   Now you've got me wondering what he and Dhugal would have in their .mp3 collections that they like to listen to late at night once all the Council meetings and Court business and other royal/noble obligations are done for the day....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

tenworld

Quote from: Evie on May 30, 2012, 09:49:23 AM

I'm sure Kelson would love an iPod if the technology were available.  He is a teen, after all, even if he's King of Gwynedd!   Now you've got me wondering what he and Dhugal would have in their .mp3 collections that they like to listen to late at night once all the Council meetings and Court business and other royal/noble obligations are done for the day....   ;D

Not sure about Kelson but Morgan would have "Paint it Black" while Camber's children would have liked "Revolution"

Alkari

Evie would make sure that Helena had Hildegard of Bingen on her play list.

Evie

LOL!  Duncan would like that also, I'm sure, though they'd both probably want some male choir Gregorian chants as well.

Let's not put "Ring of Fire" on his iPod, though.  The title by itself conjures up certain Mearan War memories, and....well...he's celibate, so he probably ought not to be dwelling on the burning flames of desire either.  Not that he has anything against Johnny Cash's music in general....  :D

On the other hand, I can maybe see him downloading "Carmina Burana" in its entirety for Alaric's amusement.  After all, that joke "advice" to Kelson about taking a mistress like Cousin Conall had, since that had managed to put a smile on Conall's face, shows that the good Bishop Duncan isn't above the occasional bawdy humor...   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Very busy doing non-fannish stuff tonight (unless one counts having every ceiling fan in the house on because our a/c is out!), but here's what I made earlier today.  Helena modestly requests that any gentlemen present avert their eyes from the following photos, as her new garment is rather sheer.   ;):

Helena gets new nightwear (and/or a chemise).  Actually, she and Richenda will probably end up sharing at least some of their clothing, since I don't see any need to make two identical chemises just so both of them can have one.  Kelson's coif is made in the same style as one that a lady might wear to bed, so he has graciously allowed Helena to borrow it for this picture, though since it wasn't designed to fit over this much hair, she could use a bigger one sometime down the road.

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

If Duncan did his neat mental trick of Psychically "traveling" to Helena's room while she's wearing that sheer , they'd both get quite a shock, wouldn't they??  :o ;D Even Hildegard of Bingen mightn't help  all that much in that event!.

Kelson might enjoy the theme from the PBS Masterpiece theater. =o)

And I'm sure Araxie would put a few nice love songs on his playlist.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Fortunately the inside of a box bed at o'dark-thirty is pretty much pitch black.  And he hightailed it out of there as soon as the handfire revealed where he'd managed to end up.  Rather disconcerting for them both, though given that it happened in late autumn, she probably had something warmer on.  And a blanket or three would have helped too.  :D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

You asked in an earlier post for a description of Kelson and Morgan's rings.  I haven't had much luck, but DR has a good description of the King's Champion ring:  "a massive signet ring, an oval cabochon-cut onyx etched with the Golden Lion of Gwynedd on its face."  When Morgan held it up beside his own signet ring on his other hand, it only states that the "Lion of Gwynedd and the Corwyn Gryphon winked gold and green in the light."

Not much help, but its what I've found so far.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Oh, good!  IIRC, from my own recent skimming of DR, the Ring of Fire has either garnets or rubies on it, but I don't know how many.  And the Crimson Lion has the Haldane gold lion guardant on a crimson field that is (I think) framed in gold, and it's about as big as a man's fist, but I don't know if the brooch itself is round or shield-shaped.  I wonder if the etching in the black onyx stone of the King's Champion ring is filled in with gold or if it's left unadorned?  If it doesn't have to be used as a seal, I suppose it could be filled in.  I assume the onyx is black; onyx comes in other colors as well, but black onyx is the one most customarily associated with signet rings and the like. I guess these are questions to defer to KK if/when I get around to making itteh bitteh regalia in moldable plastic.

Really, KK, all the heraldic devices available for use, and you had to go and pick hard to sculpt charges like lions and gryphons?  Didn't you foresee that someone might want to reproduce all of this stuff in 1:6 scale someday?   ;) ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Had a nice day with my folks today, so not much to report except for these quick shots:

Alaric decided to test his animal rapport skills today...

...as Duncan stands by just in case he needs to administer the Last Rites.   :D

Kelson decided to join in the skills practice as well.   

(Luke wasn't asleep, he's just a very tolerant kitteh, and he likes to curl up with his Mom's little people when I've got them out.  ;D)

--WARNING!!!--

derynifanatic64

And probably because Luke is promised a special treat afterwards for allowing them on his back.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!