• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,485
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 123
Total: 124
Laurna
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on February 12, 2018, 12:08:18 PM
Mini-Alaric Morgan, Washburn Cynfyn, and Artimus Calvarian would all look dashing with little daggers at their sides.  ;D

That could happen.  For that matter, ladies need belt knives too. How else are they expected to cut their meat?  :)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DerynifanK

"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Laurna

May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

I recently learned how to make a medieval ring pouch.  Of course that meant I needed to make one for my little medieval people too.   :lol:

(I haven't added the belt loop to the 1:1 sized pouch yet.)

The pouches are reversible:

It's the same basic pattern for both pouches, only with the full sized version I sewed the ring in between the outer fabric and lining, while on the 1:6 size one, the fully assembled pouch is just whipstitched to the ring.  Both styles of ring attachment were found in period.  Ring pouches sometimes had a flap or hood to conceal the opening and make it harder for pickpockets to get their hands into the bag, and some had multiple compartments. They often had decorative embroidery, tassels, and other embellishments. But for now I just wanted to focus on learning basic construction.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Very nice, Evie.  Although at first I wondered why anyone would want to carry their ring in a pouch rather than wearing it.  ::)

I saw the light....

-- Old English Litany

Evie

So last night I finally decided to replace Alaric's head with an undamaged one. For those of you who have been following this project from the start, you might remember that when I first transferred Alaric's original head to his new action figure body, I accidentally melted part of his hair in doing so. (I was using a friend's blow drier instead of my own, since we were out of town, and didn't realize how much hotter her drier runs than the one I was used to using for the purpose.) I tried to fix his hairstyle, but there was no getting around the fact that what remained unmelted was still frizzy beyond repair. Unfortunately, the formerly inexpensive "Hottie Ken" who was the Original Mini-Alaric's head donor is no longer inexpensive and easy to find. But I had a blond Harley Davidson Ken lying around with short golden hair, and thought he might make a decent replacement. I hadn't been using him because his original body doesn't sit up properly, but his head/neck join area is an even better fit for adapting to an action figure body than "Hottie Ken's" head is, without requiring any major cutting away of original vinyl and creating a new socket with 2-part silicone putty like I had to do to adapt Alaric's original head to fit his new body.

When I showed a photo of the Harley Davidson Ken head in the chat room last night, the one problem with it seemed to be that, when viewed in magnified close up, the HD Ken appears to be wearing eye makeup.  ;D (It's actually not meant to be eye makeup. It's meant to look like the dark shadow one sees in the crease of deep set eyes, which have to be painted onto a Ken head since of course they don't actually have eye sockets.)  This Ken, unlike most, has fairly chiseled, angular facial planes, so the eye paint tries to replicate shadowing in what would be the eye socket area of an actual face. But in very close magnification, the effect doesn't work. I tried to see if I could smudge the shadow a bit or erase it completely using a toothpick wrapped in a tiny bit of cotton and dipped in nail polish, but unfortunately the area between eyebrow and eyelid is only barely the width of a toothpick, and while I managed to scrub just a tiny bit of the shadow off, I was afraid to get too much acetone in this area for fear of ruining his eyes completely.  (And while this Ken was reasonably priced when I first bought him, I think his selling price on eBay nowadays is well over $100, so I am not willing to risk ruining him because I can't afford to replace him!) So live and learn. I will just have to avoid any extreme close-up shots of him. Fortunately from any reasonable distance, he looks fine.  ;D

Here is Alaric version 2 with Kelson and Araxie:

And here he is saying goodbye to his original head:

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Alaric looks great, Evie!  I was afraid he was going to look too much like Duncan. I mean identical twins.  Although now I see Alaric properly dressed in Duke of Corwyn attire I don't see Duncan anymore, I see Alaric.  Good Job!

Evie

Actually, Alaric (the new version) and Duncan have very different face shapes in addition to their hair styles being different. Duncan's features (like most Kens) are less angular. That was one of the things I liked about the Harley Ken headsculpt, actually. It's so different from the other Ken headsculpts I have that it stands out in the crowd.

Here's a shot of Duncan for comparison:

Awww, doesn't he look like he'd make a great "Uncle Duncan"?   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Your right, Alaric has the more chiseled chin and jaw. Like a warrior should.
I like the new Alaric very much and the "eye shadow" looks like deep set eyes in the picture you show here.

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

I love the new head!  The hair looks SO much better.  Much better suited as the dashing Duke of Corwyn!

-- Old English Litany