• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 08:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 199
Total: 199

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

Wonderful to see Richenda about. I white little shoes should be perfect. If your planing on making her something fancier, I am thinking a pair of grey shoes with little green beads would be perfect with that dress.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Nice suggestion! I'll see if I have any gray felt.  (It does need to be felt, pleather, thin leather, or something else that won't ravel, but I might have something suitable in my stash.)  Unfortunately that silvery sage green of the dress satin is really difficult to match, not to mention photograph (it tends to look more silver or gray than green in photos, but more green than silver or gray in person), but I think gray with green embellishments ought to work.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

I figured out a way to make inexpensive little belt knives for my little Mini-Deryni!

This was a sword-shaped toothpick from the sandwich I had for lunch yesterday. It was too short to work as a 1:6 scale sword, but I figured it would be easy enough to convert to a dagger, so I cut the hand guard off the hilt and shortened the blade.  Here is a photo of the converted toothpick. (Sorry I forgot to take a photo of the original size and shape.)

I happened to have some thread and scraps of pleather left over from my shoe-making projects, so I made a little scabbard to go with the dagger.

I still need to get my metallic paints out so I can paint the dagger, and I might decorate it and the scabbard with bits of gold thread and gemstones as well, or just leave it plain and utilitarian. If I can buy a box of the toothpicks, I can make a bunch of different styles for my little people for pennies per dagger/scabbard set, which would be great because 1:6 weapons replicas on eBay cost a lot more than that, which is why my little knights are not all that well equipped yet.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

I also found some tiny glazed pottery bowls for Eilonwy and Patrick. They were sold individually at a nearby shop, and were meant to be holders for incense cones, but I thought they were the perfect size for 1:6 scale soup and salad bowls, so I bought four of them.

Sophia seems to approve.  Since these are pottery, my medieval Mini-Deryni could borrow them as well, so Alaric and Richenda might like to use a set of pretty green bowls at Coroth too.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Duncan also got a cute little beanie to wear with his modern clothes, since I needed a way to cover up his bishop's skull cap.  And because it's really cold outside.  Desert Rose says he looks like a hipster in this hat, so I also gave him hipster glasses.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I love the dagger!   And a rather amazing look for Bishop Duncan.   :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Sophia looks quite pleased with Eilonwy's  new table ware. The dagger and scabbard are great; if you find a way to make a bunch of them Washburn would love one.
Wash says "Hello, Uncle Duncan. Looking cool man. Can I barrow that head covering when I get back to Rhemuth, Until my hair grows back that is."

Evie

One online source has a box of 1000 of the exact same sword toothpicks for less than $8. I'm looking for a smaller box since I don't need to equip Kelson's entire army, but I suspect even with a small box, I'll have more than enough and can manage a dagger or two for Wash.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Well, color me impatient!   :D  I didn't bother with hunting up my tiny gemstones or even sanding the rough bits off my plastic dagger before painting it.  But I plan to buy a whole box of these things eventually, so I can always fine-tune my decorating then.  For now, I just wanted to make sure my metallic paint markers would actually stick to the plastic. I figured they would, since I've used them to repaint plastic water pistols to give them more of a steampunk vibe, but plastics differ, so I figured I'd test the markers on this prototype.

The marker paint went onto the plastic with no problem and seems to be sticking well, although I still plan to use a clear sealer on the dagger.  I only had medium tipped pens, and could have gotten the paint into the tiny seam areas better with a fine tipped marker, or perhaps a fine paint brush, but I actually like how the bits of black showing help to show off the finer details of the hilt, so I might just leave them.

I might touch up those small bobbles in the paint job, or I might not. They don't really show up except in an extreme close up view like this one.

I did a test fit back into the sheath after the paint dried. No paint appears to have rubbed off when I pulled it back out, although I plan to seal it anyway just to be safe.

And here is the completed dagger fully sheathed.  I might make the hilt of the next one more elaborate.  I didn't attempt to embellish the sheath because that would require fine-tipped markers and/or a tiny paint brush.  I figure it didn't turn out too badly for a used toothpick and a scrap piece of pleather!    ;D ;D ;D

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

I would give it to him now, but as he's still dressed as a hipster, it would look rather out of place.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Quote from: Shiral on February 01, 2018, 03:46:45 PM
A Pygmy Bantha? I thought it was hitched to a tribble!

LOL! It took a minute for me to figure out what you were talking about.  Are you that far behind on forum posts?!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

I have ordered a packet of 50 sword-shaped cocktail toothpicks, and have cut off all the little hand-guards from the hilts.  (I saved some unbroken ones to see if I might make little tankard handles out of them at some later point.)  The blades still need to be shortened, and the remaining rough plastic bits will need to be smoothed down with an emery board or fine sandpaper before I paint the daggers. I may also flatten the top of at least some hilts so that it will be easier to glue rhinestone jewels on top.  Once the daggers are finished, there will be a bunch of tiny belt sheaths to make also.  Good thing I've got lots of pleather and fabric scraps!

Given that I don't have fifty Mini-Deryni warriors, or even fifty medieval Mini-Deryni figures, it's possible I might end up with some spares.  But really, is it possible to have too many adorably cute daggers?  :lol:

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Mini-Alaric Morgan, Washburn Cynfyn, and Artimus Calvarian would all look dashing with little daggers at their sides.  ;D