• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

Loved the Mini bantha and the pastel purple carriage. Just what the day needs is a carriage ride.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Paddy and Eilonwy have their Christmas decorations up now. I wasn't too keen on the bare copper wire on the Christmas lights I have strung up near the ceiling, so I found some green tinsel pipe cleaners at Dollar Tree to turn into garland streamers to camouflage it.  It's still a bit thinner than I like, so I might go back later and twine more strands of "tinsel garland" around it, but I think it's an improvement.

A wreath, set of Advent candles, and a Nativity scene grace the fireplace mantel:

Juno and her puppy enjoy curling up together next to the Christmas tree:

Fortunately the string of mini-LED lights on the Christmas tree came on green wire rather than copper, so it blends into the greenery much better than the other string of lights would have.

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

A nice, cozy Christmas scene.  I love it!  And congrats to Juno on the new puppy.   :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Such a lovely homey setting. Patty and family look quite content. and the new puppy does to.
I like your idea of adding green tinsel to the copper line. I had bought some of that to put in a wreath and  as you say it stands out. I might try that.

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on December 04, 2017, 12:39:08 PM
Such a lovely homey setting. Patty and family look quite content. and the new puppy does to.
I like your idea of adding green tinsel to the copper line. I had bought some of that to put in a wreath and  as you say it stands out. I might try that.

If the tinsel pipe cleaners don't have the desired effect, I got the strand of colored lights for the Christmas tree from Home Depot in their Christmas decor section, and that strand is on green wire instead of copper, so it blends into the tree a lot better than the copper wire version.

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Just be careful putting pipe cleaners around electrical wiring.  If the insulation around the electrical wiring gets worn (and you might not see erosion of insulation if there is pipe cleaner fuzz in the way!), the wire in the center of the pipe cleaner could conduct current from the no-longer-insulated electrical wire.

I know I'm an alarmist, but I'd rather be an alarmist than someone get zapped or worse!

~DR, the daughter of an electrician
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

True, though at least these are just battery powered, not plug in lights, so at worst the "zappage" would be minimal. I wouldn't want to run the risk of a short starting an electrical fire, though.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Quote from: Evie on December 04, 2017, 01:32:16 PM
True, though at least these are just battery powered, not plug in lights, so at worst the "zappage" would be minimal. I wouldn't want to run the risk of a short starting an electrical fire, though.
good points

Evie

Playing with Prisma photo filters. I love how this picture of Devlin and Sophia turned out. It looks almost like a painting:

I have recently dyed some wavy/curly mohair that I am hoping to turn into a wig for Devlin, since Henry Cavill (the actor his appearance is based on) actually has some natural curl to his hair which is sadly missing on his Superman Ken mini stand-in. Not sure how well that is going to work out over his molded hair, but I'm willing to experiment and see if it looks good, and if not, wigs are always removable.

--WARNING!!!--

DerynifanK

"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Evie

That hard plastic haircut doesn't do him any favors. I'm hoping that the mohair wig I'm planning on making will help soften the overall look. Right now the slick plastic hair reminds me more of a stage villain than a hero!  LOL!

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

So these are actually itty bitty Ugg boots that I made for my modern-era ladies:

Itteh bitteh Ugg boots by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

However, looking at them at this stage before the craft foam soles are glued on, it occurs to me that they also look a fair bit like some styles of medieval footwear.  And several of my Mini-Deryni ladies are on articulated Liv doll bodies that I don't own any medieval-looking shoes for, but these felt boots have enough stretch to them to fit on their feet even though it's sized for Barbie, whose feet are a little smaller.  I was thinking I might size the pattern up just a smidge and make a bunch of little medieval boots so my Deryni ladies can stop running around the castle barefoot.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

I went ahead and made an upsized pattern for my action figure ladies like Richenda, Helena, and Araxie, and then (because my prototype still ended up looking too much like an Ugg boot for my liking, which looked odd with long flowing gowns) I made a flat shoe version.  Here is Richenda showing off my first couple of pairs of ladies' footwear:

The red pair will go to Araxie, and I think the cream pair goes pretty well with the gown Richenda is wearing.  I'll make a few other pairs in neutral colors like brown, black, and tan for my other ladies to wear. The nice thing about their foot size is that their shoes are not as ridiculously small as a Barbie's, so I might even be able to add some embellishments like gold embroidery or beadwork.  And maybe I can upsize it a bit more to get a pattern I can use for my little bishops to all have proper footwear as well.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany