• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 117
Total: 117

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Well, since I couldn't find a suitable photo online for my character in Bynw's Deryni RPG (see http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/topic,2121.msg17266.html#msg17266 for more details on this RPG character), I decided to do an action figure of her instead. Of course I did. This is me!   ;D

Here is my lovely Cara Brooke cosplaying as Aliset:

I still need to create a proper scabbard for that dagger, and ideally that jump ring at the top of the hilt ought to come off too.  But the scabbard is more important. Can't have her stabbing herself in the thigh every time she tries to sit!  The dagger is a gift from KK for the Deryni Action Figure project, and normally one of my heroes wears it, but I'm sure they won't mind Aliset borrowing it for a bit.

The little travel bag comes from an Ever After High figure, and she is also carrying a bedroll (can't remember which action figure that came from anymore). A peasant blouse made by me last night, an off-brand Barbie sized skirt, and a bodice from one of the new WWE lady figures complete the ensemble.  (Oh, and the boots too, but this doll actually came with those, so I was fortunate they go with a medieval look as well as a modern one!)

Of course when she shape-changes into her brother's form, she'll wear trousers (or longer tunic and chausses) rather than a skirt! Maybe I'll do a male version later.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

MidnightBlue

Ha...now that's some character dedication right there!

Looks amazing!

:)

Evie

Quote from: MidnightBlue on November 15, 2017, 10:00:25 AM
Ha...now that's some character dedication right there!

Looks amazing!

LOL!  Naah, it's just that I'll grab any excuse to de-stress by playing with dolls for a bit.   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I love the leaves scattered at her feet!  She looks well prepared for anything that might transpire.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on November 15, 2017, 12:11:18 PM
I love the leaves scattered at her feet!  She looks well prepared for anything that might transpire.

She's ready for her adventure!

And in other news, having one figure for both Prince Nigel and Father Devlin was beginning to cause me some cognitive dissonance, so I've saved up a few pennies to get a used Superman Ken, which also has a face sculpt modeled on Henry Cavill, although clean-shaven, and also handily comes with a nicely articulated body that is a bit too muscular to wear regular Ken clothing, but he can share clothes with my action figures.  So here he is wearing a borrowed outfit from Morgan until I can get him home to change him into his usual clergy shirt and jacket:

Unfortunately his hands come permanently clenched into fists, so unless I want Devlin to come across like he's ready to pick a fight all the time, I will need to do a hand swap at some point, which will require some surgery. I already have a hand donor for him, but I need to get up the courage to cut his original hands off and drill the holes in his arm stumps to receive his new wrist pegs.  Whee!  Maybe I can sweet-talk Hubby into doing it for me instead, since I've never operated a drill before and don't want Dev to become a permanent double amputee....   :o

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

I like the new Devlin.  I picture him as clean-shaven, while Nigel is described in canon as wearing at least some facial hair, IIRC.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on November 15, 2017, 01:29:46 PM
I like the new Devlin.  I picture him as clean-shaven, while Nigel is described in canon as wearing at least some facial hair, IIRC.

He may get a little bit of five o'clock shadow courtesy of some pastel dust, since there is usually at least a slight bit of shadow visible (especially with a dark-haired man) even right after shaving, but clean-shaven is more in line with how I pictured the original character.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I think you need to have a healer present for Father Devlin's surgery!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on November 15, 2017, 01:48:02 PM
I think you need to have a healer present for Father Devlin's surgery!

I might need one for me if that drill slips!   :o

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on November 15, 2017, 01:36:44 PM
Quote from: DesertRose on November 15, 2017, 01:29:46 PM

He may get a little bit of five o'clock shadow courtesy of some pastel dust, since there is usually at least a slight bit of shadow visible (especially with a dark-haired man) even right after shaving, but clean-shaven is more in line with how I pictured the original character.

Yes, true.  My mom's younger brother had almost black hair before it went silver, and back before the Great Avalanche of White Hair, he could have just shaved, and you'd be able to tell he had a full beard or would have if he didn't shave most of it.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

May your horses have wings and fly!

MidnightBlue

Ran across this guy's projects by accident, and immediately thought of your creations Evie...Faire Play, 3D printing projects for Barbies (dolls, ACTION FIGURES, whatever doesn't get me stoned-in-a-bad-way).

http://zheng3.com/faire-play/

Barbie-compatible 3D printed armor project
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/191197566/faire-play-barbie-compatible-3d-printed-medieval-a?ref=profile_backed

QuoteFaire Play 2 is a 3D-printed Barbie-compatible Roman chariot that can, in theory, be pulled by cats.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/191197566/faire-play-2-when-in-rome

Warning...there might be some Barbie-nudity in some of those pics.

LOVED the cat-pulled chariot!

;D

Your stuff is definitely cooler, Evie, but I thought the options for armor and such were neat.  I'm not into 3D printing, but I guess you can just go to a 3D printing site and get these things made?  Not sure.

Evie

LOL!  Dolls, action figures, it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I tend to think of the fashion doll Barbies/Kens as just dolls (even though mine are all articulated dolls) and the slightly larger, better articulated (and much better posing) figures as action figures, but I don't get bent out of shape over folks swapping the labels around like some collectors do.  Especially since a fair few of mine are hybrids (Barbie/Ken heads on action figure bodies), so what would you call those?  Frankenfigures?  ;D  I often just refer to them as my "littles" or "the Mini-Deryni," or sometimes just call them all "figures" and call it a day.

I've seen the Faire Play armor before, and it's really cute!  Now if I could only get early period 3D printed armor in Ken and/or male action figure sizes, Kelson's army would be all set!  (There is 1:6 scale action figure armor available on eBay, but most of it goes for more than I'm willing to pay for it, so I've only got the occasional weapon or three and not really anything in the way of actual armor yet.)  I don't think I've seen the chariot before now. My cats are telling me I really don't need a new way to terrorize them, but my action figures say turnabout is fair play....  *evil smirk*

QuoteFaire Play 2 is a 3D-printed Barbie-compatible Roman chariot that can, in theory, be pulled by cats.

The cat in that video might be the most cross-eyed creature I've ever seen!  LOL!

--WARNING!!!--

MidnightBlue

Quote from: Evie on November 17, 2017, 12:27:05 PM

QuoteThe cat in that video might be the most cross-eyed creature I've ever seen!  LOL!

Then we definitely don't want that cat pulling the chariot!

Evie

Quote from: MidnightBlue on November 17, 2017, 03:01:08 PM
Quote from: Evie on November 17, 2017, 12:27:05 PM

QuoteThe cat in that video might be the most cross-eyed creature I've ever seen!  LOL!

Then we definitely don't want that cat pulling the chariot!

No, I keep a mini-Bantha around for that sort of work!

http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/topic,1759.0.html

;D

--WARNING!!!--