• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 05:45:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 252
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 231
Total: 231

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

I must say, the two bedrooms are looking quite comfortable and homey. The pillows are the perfect touch. That is a nice little black dress for your royal lady, very classy.  May need to find her a pair of black heels to match.
Evie, you are getting really good at up close portraiture and proper lighting. Are you using a real camera or your cell phone camera? I recently discovered that my cell phone takes sharper pictures than my new Sure shot camera, much to my surprise.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Sophia has black shoes, but I didn't have them with me, and I don't keep them on for longer than it takes to take pictures for fear of them staining her feet like her dark blue shoes did.  The photos are all taken with my cell phone camera now.  It's a Samsung Galaxy S6, which I actually bought in part because of the camera quality because I never seemed to have an actual camera around when I needed one, so I need my phone to double as my primary camera as well.  It takes far better quality photos than my (now sadly outdated) point and shoot digital camera ever did.

Sophia was photographed on a white table under regular room lighting.  The guys were photographed on an office desk beside a window  (i.e. natural light) with a sheet of printer paper held behind them to hide my computer monitor. ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

Very nice, and I like the cut of the black dress with the flared skirt.  Much more comfortable in my opinion than a fitted sheath dress.

The teddy bear is a nice touch in the guest room; did Jen bring it with her from home?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

I think it was Eilonwy's, unless Jen had room for one in her luggage.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Another quick update:

Pillow sham by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This is one of two large pillow shams I made for the master bedroom.  I used the original guest room pillow to fill this sham, and made a second pillow to fill the other.   (Like actual sized pillow shams, these are removable, so if Eilonwy decides to redecorate in future, I can take off the shams and put new ones on the pillows.)

Throw pillows by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I used some leftover red fabric from the reverse side of the comforter to make two smaller throw pillows.

Fully made bed by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Eilonwy is trying out the fully made bed.  Her dog wanted to try it out also.  Let's hope it's not shedding season!  (This dog doesn't have a name yet, btw.  Suggestions?)

Office purse by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Sophia needed a purse to go with her little black dress, so I made this one with a binder clip, black pleather (it's hard to see in this photo, but most of the binder clip used for the purse is covered with black faux leather fabric cut to fit the binder clip shape and enclose the open sides), elastic cord, and bits of metallic and rhinestone trim.  It still needed a clasp, but I didn't happen to have any small beads with me at the time, so that had to wait until I got home. I also kept the original silver wire handles from the binder clip, since I've seen a tutorial using those to turn a plastic soap travel case into rolling luggage with a handle, which might work for Jen's suitcase.

Completed purse by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I found a tiny cylindrical bead to use as the purse clasp for that finishing touch.

Second purse by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here is another purse that I made for a friend.  I actually like this version better, so I might make another one like it for Sophia.

Dressed for an outing by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Sophia models her new purse with her new dress.  (I hadn't added the clasp yet, so that's why you can't see it here.)

Tiny mail and loose leaf paper by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I put together a few bits of mail for Paddy's desk.  I should have taken some pictures of the reverse sides too, since they have little envelope flaps printed on the other side.  The loose leaf paper is also double sided, although it printed out single-sided, so I needed the glue stick to stick the sides of each sheet together.  I also used it to glue the binder cover design to some cardstock.

Binder rings and cat snoopervision by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Luke is attempting to help me check out if this ribbon and these silver jump rings will work for making the binder rings and spine inside the cover.  I will need to punch holes in the paper so the jump rings can go through them.  Luke is being a great deal of help.  (Not!)

Outside of binder by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

A brief peek at the outside binder cover.  I still haven't managed to put this together yet.  Thanks, Luke.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Quote from: Evie on September 18, 2016, 01:15:33 AM
Another quick update:

Fully made bed by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Eilonwy is trying out the fully made bed.  Her dog wanted to try it out also.  Let's hope it's not shedding season!  (This dog doesn't have a name yet, btw.  Suggestions?)

Awe... Three names come instantly to mind. And you guessed it... "Alaric" tops my list.  And then there is "Rhys"... But of course I know your favorite will be... wait for it...  "Duncan"!   
What a nice classy puppy dog no matter which beloved hero he his named after.

Eilonwy's bedroom is looking really nice. I wish by bed could be so well made.

Classy purse for Sophia, and Oh my I did not know how small those pages were until Luke dropped by. Give Luke a scratch on the ear for me.

Jerusha

Jared could also be a nice name, with lots of Cassani history to go with it.  But we seem to be assuming the dog is a male. :)

Beautiful purses - love the detail.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Yes, that dog is awfully tolerant of the tiny puppy, so it could quite well be a female.

It has also occurred to me that unless the dog used to be Eilonwy's dad's dog (which is possible), it's unlikely he/she has a very historically influenced name.  Jen would be more likely to name a pet after some historical figure of Kelson's era or a more distant past than Eilonwy or Paddy.  Even as a descendant of a Ducal line, I doubt that the name "Duncan" has a great deal more significance to Eilonwy than "a nice name for my great-great-great-something-grandfather somewhere way back in the family tree," given that it's 900 years later and a lot of history has happened since Kelson's time.  Alaric would at least have a fairly major place in the history books for students studying the Kelsonian period, and Duncan might have a few mentions here and there, if not as many as Alaric, especially if he someday becomes Bishop of Rhemuth or Valoret.  He'd at least have a place in history for being the first rector of the first Schola of Saint Camber, which later evolved into the University of Rhemuth.  Most of Rhys' work, on the other hand, happened behind the scenes, so unless some manuscripts are later uncovered revealing to later historians how important he was to the Haldane Restoration, who knows if anyone in 21st Century Gwynedd will have heard of him at all?  As both a history professor and a former member of the Camberian Council, Will Sheehan might have been better aware of these three men's role in the history and shaping of ancient Gwynedd than most, but which (if any) would he have named his dog after, and would he ever have explained the significance of that name to others whose most likely reaction would have been "Oh.  Well, that's nice" and a polite smile?

I mean, think about it.  Off the top of your head, without looking it up online or in a history book, who was the Earl of Warwick in the year 1121?  Unless you are a historian specializing in that time period, chances are you can't name him off the top of your head.  Even if you happen to be descended from that family, you probably have to stop and think about it for a minute to remember that part of your family history, and you might only know a few nuggets of historical fact (or what is currently believed to be factual, which may or may not be 100% correct depending on how much source material remains extant) about that person.  If you're the average Joe, your answer is "I've got no clue."  And if someone tells you, "That was Roger de Beaumont. He went on Crusade. When Henry of Anjou (later Henry II) invaded England, he tricked Roger's wife into surrendering the castle," you might think that's interesting, but there's probably no deep emotional attachment to Roger that happens due to knowing that nugget of historical significance. No emotional connection, no particular resonance, and not much likelihood of you saying, "Wow, that's really cool, I want to name my dog Roger!"  ;D  We know our Deryni heroes' stories, so that's why we're invested in them and attached to them.  Sadly, their own descendants know a whole lot less about them 900 years (or more) later than we do. Will probably taught his daughter a bit about her mother's family history, but how well did she listen? A lot of times young people don't have a lot of interest in genealogy until later on in life.  Eilonwy is probably kicking herself for not learning more from her father when he was still alive, but she probably thought she had all the time in the world for that and didn't realize what an opportunity she'd lost until after his death.

Of course, now that Jen, who is an avid scholar of Kelson's period, is there to share some of the cool stories that we as readers of Kelson's histories already know about, it's possible that one of them will name a future dog after one of our heroes.  But I suspect that hero is most likely to be Kelson himself.  (Or, as Jerusha suggests, maybe Jared, since Eilonwy is a direct descendant of his and she might take more interest in her Cassani history once she has a historian telling her "the cool bits.")  There's even a slight chance she might name a dog "Nivard," since Eilonwy is a librarian at the Royal Library of Rhemuth and might ask Jen who the Royal Librarian was back in King Kelson's day. I could totally see Jen naming a dog Alaric, except that she already associates that name with her grandmother's horse.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

QuoteAs both a history professor and a former member of the Camberian Council, Will Sheehan might have been better aware of these three men's role in the history and shaping of ancient Gwynedd than most, but which (if any) would he have named his dog after, and would he ever have explained the significance of that name to others whose most likely reaction would have been "Oh.  Well, that's nice" and a polite smile?

LOL!  I see your point! Without quoting the whole argument I like how you put it.

So to name a new puppy: first off, we need to know if it is male of female.  You have to tell us that one. I can not tell from the image :P. Boy puppies are more loving and protective than females, Girl puppies are a little more independent  and usually harder to get if they are pure breed. When I name a puppy, it is a name from something that recently made me happy or something that gives me joy. Usually its a character from a book,  game, TV show or movie. but it can also be from a beloved mythical being. Example: Dragonheart's Artful Wizard. I love dragon's and I believe our spaniels have the Heart of a Dragon. So our kennel name is DragonHeart. At the time we brought Arty home, I was binge watching episodes of Warehouse 13  and Dresden Files. But I also wanted to reflect King Arthur's court.  So Arty and Arthur became Artful and Dresden and Merlin became Wizard. I know it sounds obscure, but it makes me smile whenever I say my dog's full name.

So the question you then need to ask Paddy and Eilonwy, is what movie or what story had they recently seen or read when they brought their dog home. Perhaps there was some fictional historic movie with only a smidgen of real facts, but the director at least had the main characters names right to reflect history to portray medieval Gwynedd and Rhemuth Castle. 

So perhaps: Rhemuth's Spirit and call him Rhem. or her Rhema for short.

DesertRose

Or was the dog Paddy's or Eilonwy's pre-relationship/marriage?  ("Love me, love my dog.")

Also, I think Laurna's process makes sense for a pedigreed dog that one intends to breed and/or show, but it seems a bit involved for a dog that is purely a pet.  At least, I've never gotten that complicated about naming a pet.  :D

I often choose pets' names from literature or history.  My current cat, Carys, is an exception; her name was chosen for its meaning.  It's a modern Welsh name meaning "love," and it fits because she is extremely cuddly!

If the dog was Eilonwy's dog pre-Paddy's appearance in her life (or even if they adopted the dog together), seeing as Eilonwy is a librarian by profession, she might go for a literary name, but that kind of requires Evie to dream up imaginary Gwyneddan literary canon!  Maybe not so helpful.  :P

Hmm.  I shall cogitate on this a bit more.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

I think this calls for a short story about Eilonwy's and Patrick's dog.   ;D  ;D   ;D

DesertRose

Quote from: Laurna on September 20, 2016, 10:03:16 PM
I think this calls for a short story about Eilonwy's and Patrick's dog.   ;D  ;D   ;D

Nah, I think I'd rather Evie work on the BoP sequel than a one-shot about the puppy dog.   ;D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

Quote from: DesertRose on September 20, 2016, 10:12:56 PM

Nah, I think I'd rather Evie work on the BoP sequel than a one-shot about the puppy dog.   ;D

Why yes, of course! However, Evie is very busy at work at the moment, so... perhaps a little warm up story that doesn't take too much effort  will make us all happy. :D

(P.S Just playing around on my lunch break )

DesertRose

Quote from: Laurna on September 20, 2016, 10:18:36 PM
Quote from: DesertRose on September 20, 2016, 10:12:56 PM

Why yes, of course! However, Evie is very busy at work at the moment, so... perhaps a little warm up story that doesn't take too much effort  will make us all happy. :D

(P.S Just playing around on my lunch break )

Oh, I know.  I'm just messing around as well.  :D

Elkhound