• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:06:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 154
Total: 154
Google (2)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Got some new stuff in, so time for an update.

Button in place by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The new mini buttons arrived (4 mm across), so I sewed one into place on the waistband before adding a tiny bit of the ultra thin Velcro underneath.  A snap might have been preferable, but I couldn't find my tiny snaps, and in any case the two sides of the snap are about the same thickness as the doll Velcro I used.

Buttons added to shirt by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I added the buttons to the shirt and also the Velcro closures.  It's a bit thicker at the cuffs than I'd like, but the alternative would have been sewing the cuffs closed and removing his hands every time I wanted to put his arms into his sleeves, which gets to be a pain after a while.

Iridescent silver plastic envelopes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I found this two pack of iridescent silver plastic envelopes at Office Depot on clearance for 50 cents.  I figure I can use the larger one to store flat stuff like my pattern pieces I'm creating, and the smaller one can be cut into small circles to make 1:6 scale CDs or DVDs.  Paddy will need a few CDs for his boom box, after all.

Mini dress socks by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I made Morgan some tiny dress socks so he won't have bare ankles under his new dress trousers.  These were cut from an old trouser sock of mine that had lost its mate.

Sock feet 1 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here are the completed socks on Morgan.

Sock feet 2 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And from the side.

Sock cuff by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I left the bottom part of the original trouser sock cuff on so he has a cuff at the top of his socks.

Well dressed duke by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here he is with everything but his shoes on.  Well, he really ought to have a waistcoat, sweater, or jacket if he's going to wear a dress shirt and tie, but that will need to wait.

New dress shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

So the new dress shoes arrived yesterday--three pairs of identical black dress shoes--and there is only one problem.  Morgan can't wear them with his spiffy new socks!  I had thought I was getting hollow shoes that his feet will fit into, like the ones shown at the top of this picture.  Instead, the dress shoes has a socket for his ankle peg to fit directly into, replacing his feet entirely.  I can still make him some dress socks to go with them, but they will have to be quite literally tube socks, since there won't be a foot for them to go over and there has to be an opening at the bottom for the ankle peg to fit through.  Mildly annoying, but not too much of a problem.

Devlin tries on some dress shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Devlin got to try on the first pair of shoes.  It took several minutes of heating his feet with a blow drier before they would come off the ankle pegs, and the shoes had to be heated as well before the ankle pegs would fit into the sockets, but now he's got more suitable shoes for his outfit.

Stubborn ankle pegs by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I needed a bit of extra help besides the heat to get the ankle pegs out of Devlin's feet, so out came the jewelry pliers.

Morgan's new shoes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

After taking off his spiffy new dress socks, Morgan's feet proved to be quite easy to remove compared to Devlin's.  However, I think the ball-ended pegs in his ankles are just a smidge larger than the ones on Devlin's body, because it took me several attempts and a lot of hot air from the blow drier to get his shoes firmly seated onto his ankle joints.  Morgan couldn't resist getting a quip in.  "It's because I have bigger balls than Devlin, isn't it?"  Smartass.  ;D  Devlin, on the other hand, says the reason his feet were so hard to remove compared to Morgan's is that he's better grounded.

Fully dressed by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here are Morgan and Devlin in better light, fully dressed. Evidence of feline snoopervisor visible at top left.

And now I'm taking a break from menswear to create a sundress for Maureen.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

Very well dressed indeed - and I loved Morgan's quip (Father Dev's comeback wasn't bad, either).

But it might be a bit disconcerting the first time he tells Jen to wait a moment so he can find his feet before they go riding. 😀
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

That South African runner with the artificial legs--you know, the one who shot his girlfriend, sorry I can't remeber his name--said that when he and his brothers were going out to play thier mother would tell most of them to 'put on your shoes' but would tell him to 'put on his feet.

Evie

Morgan and Devlin have new dress socks now that are made with bits of the same trouser sock that I cut up to make Morgan's original pair.  The main difference in these is that they don't have actual sock feet.  They just cover up the lower leg so no flashes of bare ankle show when my men are sitting.

Tube dress sock by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's a picture of one of Morgan's new socks.  It's basically just a tube that is wider at the calf end than at the ankle end.

Maureen's new dress and shawl by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I cut apart an infinity scarf I found at the thrift store to make this soft, drapey sundress and scarf for Maureen.  I let part of the pattern suggest the neckline for the dress.  (One has to be careful with pattern placement.  The first time I attempted to drape the fabric over her figure, I discovered I had inadvertently place big red bulls-eyes right over her nipples!  Not the look I was going for!)

Green tie by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I made Morgan a few more ties.  Here is the silvery green one.  I'm not quite happy with the knot, but I can make another later.  There is a tiny spot on the tie where a bit of the fabric glue seeped through, but I might stick a tie pin in that spot to help camouflage it.  (I have a teeny diamond earring without a mate that I think would work for a tiny tie pin.)

Striped gray tie by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I used some of the same fabric as his dress trousers to make this tie, cutting it on the bias to get a diagonal stripe.  I think this would look best paired with a solid color pair of trousers.  I also made a tie in a solid charcoal gray silk (the same fine silk that Alaric's undershirt is made out of), but I don't appear to have taken a photo of it, so I'll need to post a picture of that some other time.

Perfume bottles by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I wanted to put a few greenish or aqua touches in the bathroom for a splash of cool color to offset all the black and white, so I decided that maybe Eilonwy has a collection of ornamental glass perfume bottles in there.  I used some beads and glue to put these together.  The narrow bead on the gold base needed a bit of extra internal structure to help hold it together while the glue dried, so i used tiny applique pins, which also helped to fill in the visible hole in the top beads used for the bottle caps.

Ivory and gold bottle by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I also found some creamy ivory and gold beads that I put together for a bottle with a contrasting look to the others. 

Ornamental toiletries tray by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The bottles weren't very stable on the wicker shelf, but I found a silver plate to display them on, which seems to work quite well.

Thin silver edges by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

One of our members sent me some very thin silver tape quite a while back.  I decided it could work to cover up the glued-together cardstock sides of my tiny electronic equipment.  It was a pain to work with, but with a bit of time, patience, and a few dabs of clear-drying glue, I finally managed to get it to stay in place.

Clear gloss plastic laminate by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I then enclosed the iPad and two phones in ID badge laminating plastic, then trimmed off the excess plastic around the edges.  In retrospect, I should have allowed the glue holding the silver tape to dry completely before doing this step, as I dislodged a bit of it in the process, making my edges less neat than I had hoped, but it's not too apparent except in extreme close up.  The shiny plastic laminate gives a more realistic look than the glossy Mod-Podge.

New window frame by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I found two shadow box covers at Tuesday Morning a while back.  Both were black, but I am in the process of painting one of them white to go into the guest room.  This one got kept mostly as-is because I thought the black window would look good with the black headboard.  It just got a coat of clear Ceramcoat over the black to give it a slightly shinier finish (more of an eggshell than a gloss).  I had to resize my Rhemuth photo to fit the larger window, and since I didn't have any more packaging plastic on hand for the window glass, I used laminating plastic, which worked out well.  Here is the completed window in the master bedroom.  I still need to put at least one more coat of paint on the other one to get a smooth finish of white over the original black, but hopefully that will be ready to go up in the guest room by this weekend.

Window reflections by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I turned off all the craft room lights, using only the dollhouse lighting for illumination, and took a flash photo from several feet away, making sure not to aim directly at the mirror.  The resulting flash lighting was sufficient at that distance to light the room's interior without making it look too washed out with light, and it reflects nicely off the plastic laminate in the window for a glass reflection effect.  It also doesn't light the room so much that you can't tell the bedside lamp is on.  I'm still experimenting with different sorts of lighting for evening and nighttime shots.

That's my update for now.  In personal news, I got a call from my former boss today asking if I would be willing to return to my old job on a temporary basis beginning Monday morning, as their staff has expanded to the point of outgrowing our office space, but the new office space they plan to expand into hasn't been completed yet, so for the moment they are operating in two separate locations and my replacement is for some reason unable to be in two different buildings at once!  ;D  I'm not looking forward to waking up early in the morning again, but this is just a temporary gig until they can either move into a single location again, or hire someone on a permanent basis, or if one of the positions I've recently applied for closer to home ends up calling to offer me something permanent.  In any case, it will mean some much needed money in the bank, although it will also mean less time to work on Mini-Deryni stuff.  So updates in this thread may be less frequent and/or less packed with new stuff, though I'll try to upload more progress photos as I get time to work on stuff.  Patrick will be getting a new police uniform sometime in the next month, for one thing, since I managed to win one in an eBay auction for 99 cents (plus about $3 of shipping), which is less than I'd have been able to buy the fabric bits and print the iron-on badges for, so I figured it was worth having to wait a few weeks for it to get here from overseas. So there will be pictures of that once it comes in.  :)

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Lots of fun stuff here! I am glad you found a way to make tube socks for the boys to go with their new shoes. I prefer the socked ankles to bare joints.  Looks good. Pretty dress for Maureen. I particular like the perfume bottles. They look real in the up close image. Great idea. Lets see, then there is that wonderful window with the view of the city. Love it.  Noticed the pair of shoes lying on the floor.... So Eilonwy is the type to kick off her shoes when she gets home from a long work day at the castle?  ;D

Going back to work for a temporary time actually sounds enjoyable. Get to be with old friends with out the commitment of long term, never ending work.
Don't forget to take Duncan along for the adventure.   ;D

revanne

Loving the pics. I especially love the night time view of Rhemuth through the window - if I lived in that flat I'd spend far too much time window-gazing.

Patrick: "My love the bed is so nicely made-up and we are still newly-weds!"
Eilonwy: "Yes but the view from the window is so entrancing. You can see the lights going on and off over town and imagine what is happening in the different rooms."
Patrick (huffily): "Nothing, if it's anything like here!"
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Glad about the job - hopefully you'll soon get back into the swing of it and then something more local will bear fruit.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

A little extra money in the bank is worth the pause in progress.   :)

I also like the perfume bottles - until I read how you made them I thought you had actually found miniature bottles.  Everything is coming together nicely.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Thank you!  I have to admit the perfume bottles are some of my favorite little props.  I've seen several nice looking examples online, but they still turned out better than I expected. I've also seen tutorials on how to turn gelatin capsules (the sort of capsules used for medications) into shampoo bottles and the like, which may be a good way to use some leftover meds from my shoulder injury that I don't need anymore, but since I wasn't taking horse pills, they'll have to be travel sized bottles.  (They'd be full sized bottles if this were a standard sized dollhouse, but it's twice as big in all dimensions.  That said, in such a small bathroom maybe Eilonwy figures keeping travel sized toiletries in stock is more convenient due to her lack of shelf and storage space?)  And I'm so glad I found the shadow box window frames, because they look much better than my original attempt at a window, although I kept that one for use in some later diorama, maybe one of the temporary sort for a one-off scene. (I'll need to replace the actual scene in the window, of course.  I can't imagine there'd be lots of venues with exactly the same view Eilonwy sees from her flat!)

ROFL at poor disgruntled Patrick, Anne!  I'll remind him that's why I gave him working blinds, so he can close that dratted window if Eilonwy gets too distracted.  ;D

At least the good thing about the job is that I'll have more money coming in for a short while, so even though most of it will be needed for bills and other necessities, maybe I can afford a doll treat or two if there's some left over.

Laurna, do I dare take Duncan back to the office with me?  The last time he was there was for the office Christmas party, and you know what happened as a result of that.  Poor guy spent the Christmas holidays with his head stuck on a tree!  LOL!  And yes, every time I change my ladies' outfits, they get shoes and purses to match, which end up promptly kicked to one side because they can't be bothered with wearing shoes indoors.  Maybe I ought to make them little house slippers once it gets cold....  ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Today's updates:

New window by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The ladies have a cozy chat on the guest bed as dusk falls over the city of Rhemuth. I finally got the other window frame repainted so it would match the decor in the guest room, so the new window got installed this afternoon.  I am thinking of creating a pelmet box above the window and making curtains to go on a dowel that is glued up inside the pelmet.  That will help draw attention away from the shelf supports that I wasn't able to cover.  Or I could just make a regular curtain rod with bead finials and hang it from a couple of cup hooks.  We'll see.  I'd prefer for the curtain to be functional so it can be opened and closed, yet sheer enough to see the nightscape through even when the curtains are drawn.

Cozy evening by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Maureen enjoys some cheese and crackers with her cider as she prepares to go internet surfing on her tablet.

Bedrooms by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This split shot shows the two bedrooms illuminated solely by the dollhouse lighting.  I love night shots.  To me, having the flat's lights on adds to the sense of realism.

Split shot 2 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

On the other side of the flat, Morgan sits in the home office with a website about beach holidays in Bremagne pulled up on the laptop and his phone in one hand, preparing to book a flight.  In the meantime, Devlin prepares to take his evening bath.

With phone in hand by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

With phone in hand, Morgan wonders if he should go ahead and call now or wait until the morning.

Bath time by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The towel is at the ready, but Devlin might need Deryni powers to summon water into the tub, as I haven't created faucet handles or a spigot yet!  Maybe he's planning on using that ancient shower spell? Maybe that's why the tub sits on a tile platform!  ;D

Night view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Eilonwy takes a brief break from entertaining her friends and relaxes in the dim glow of her bedside lamp and the streetlights far below.

Catching up by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Sophia savors the chance to slip out of formal clothing and into a comfy pair of jeans as she and Jen catch each other up on the day's events and enjoy a bit of downtime.

"Want a snack, Dad?" by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Patrick offers his visiting father a late evening snack.  (I don't have kitchen walls yet, but less a ceiling, but wanted to get an idea of what this room would look like with overhead lighting, so this was taken with me holding a light in one hand and my phone in the other, snapping the photo one-handed.)

Recessed kitchen by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The kitchen floor is a couple of inches lower than the sides of the chifferobe containing the dollhouse.  Instead of a solid wall, I'm half toying with the idea of putting a railing on the platform behind Patrick, with a step or two closest to the front edge to allow access to a dining room on the higher level.

I have a busy day or two ahead, so not sure if I'll have another update this weekend or not, and I'm still trying to adjust my sleep schedule so I can wake up bright and early starting Monday.  Whee!   ::)  But since I had the new window up, I figured I'd go ahead and take these shots and upload them now while I've still got the time to do so.  The flat is really beginning to come together now.  I still need to figure out how to furnish the dining area, and if I'm going to turn the other top level to a rooftop garden or something else.  Hopefully when I have more money coming in, I can turn my attention back to finishing Rhemuth Castle's rooms.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

It's been a little while since my last update.  When we last saw this office chair, it was standard Barbie issue:

Chair repaint by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I got tired of the bright pink plastic seat and seat back on the desk chair, so they got a fresh coat of dark green plastic spray paint.  The black legs and back support also got a coat of hammered antique bronze plastic spray paint, which didn't change their color all that much, but just gave it a more subtle metallic appearance.

Knooked scarf and crocheted hat by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I recently got a set of knooking hooks, which look like crochet hooks with a small hole drilled through the handle to hold a satin cord, which is used so you can create knitting stitches using the hook.  It's somewhat like knitting with a crochet hook, hence the term "Knook."  This infinity scarf was my first practice piece of knooking.  I crocheted a matching hat for it.  After seeing it on Sophia, I decided that hat was a little too short, so I've subsequently added another row of stitches after this photo was taken.

Second attempt at knooking by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Sophia wasn't handy when I was working on this scarf, so I made Morgan pose for me.  He says glittery lavender is not his color of choice.  I was attempting a garter stitch, but it turned out that I wasn't doing the purl stitches right, so it came out with this interesting pattern instead.

Second scarf by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

My daughter picked out the yarn with the color variations, so I crocheted a second straight scarf with it. It's a little wider and longer than the first scarf, but very soft and fuzzy.  As you can tell, I'm very much a beginner at both techniques, so my stitchwork leaves a bit to be desired.  That second scarf width keeps varying.  I promise I wasn't drunk when I made it!

Multicolored scarf fitting by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Morgan looks less than thrilled to model Sophia's winter wear again.

Fourth by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I had some yarn remnants to use up, so I experimented with a fourth style of scarf for Sophia. You can't have too many scarves for those cold Gwyneddan winters.

On the right wearer by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Sophia tries on her new winter wear.  That hat does not go with that scarf!  She will need one to match it.

Lengthened hat with wrap scarf by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

She's trying on the revised hat with the second knooked scarf.  The set meets with her approval.

Scarf trial 1 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Sophia starts playing with different ways to wear the black and blue scarf.

Scarf trial 2 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

She likes this cowl style way of wearing it, but thinks she'll want a different hat to go with it.

Boa style by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

It can also be worn similarly to a feather boa.

Second crocheted hat by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Sophia finally got a hat to go with the crocheted scarf.

Black and blue hat by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Some shorter remnants of the black and blue yarn became a hat.  Now she just needs a stylish black or dark blue dress to go with it.

Full ensemble by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I used the same yarn to create a shawl-collared dress and matching handbag for Sophia to wear out on those cold wintry days.

And back at the Adams residence, I began stocking Paddy's desk with a few office accessories.

Tiny pens by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here are some tiny writing pens.  I cut up a plastic coffee stirrer and wrapped some tape around toothpick halves until they fit snugly inside the stirrer segments.  Smaller sections of the stirrers were used for the pen lids.  I will eventually plug the top and bottom of the pens with something to make solid ends.  I'll probably use air drying clay for that, and then paint it once it's dry.  I used the extra fine tipped metallic pens to paint the metallic colored details.

Future Star Wars doll bedsheets by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This isn't going into Patrick and Eilonwy's flat, but I couldn't resist showing off my new fabric.  I'll be making Star Wars bedsheets for my geek girl doll's bedroom diorama, when I get around to building her a Room in a Box dio.  If Modern Gwynedd had the Star Wars movies, Paddy would secretly want these sheets.  ;D

Tiny desk accessories. by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I have put one of the pens on Patrick's desk and the other in his pencil cup along with a few pencils I made using painted toothpicks and silver washi tape.  The tiny Post-it Note pads were cut down sections of actual Post-it Notes.  The vintage typewriter is actually a pencil sharpener.  The carriage return roller actually rolls, which helps feed the paper into the machine.

Closer view of pencils and Post-it Notes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Closer view of the pencils and Post-it Notes.  The pencils somehow look more real in the photos than they do in life.

20160910_224504 by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The little crimson pencil must be from Eirian House.

Little lantern by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I also found this little lantern in my props collection and figured Patrick might keep it stored away in here.  I suspect the green closet is their storage cabinet for a lot of odds and ends that don't have a place elsewhere.  Maybe the lamp is part of his camping gear, or perhaps they keep it in case the power goes out.

I also decided they needed to have some more modern food than the medieval feast items I bought for the Kelson-era Deryni, and sometihng already prepared rather than the few ingredients that came with the kitchen set. So here are a few meals and other food items I found for them.

New food by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Paddy says mealtime would be a lot nicer if they had proper chairs to sit on, not to mention dining room walls. All in good time!  But it appears that sushi is on offer for dinner tonight, along with some steamed broccoli and edamame. 

Fondue by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

In the meantime, Maureen has a light repast of cheese fondue with broccoli and bits of bread to dip into it.

Italian cuisine by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Morgan and Jen will have lasagne and pizza ready for them when they arrive.  Hopefully Maureen won't have eaten all the bread, since garlic bread would be quite nice with this meal!

Chocolate desserts by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

These didn't actually come with the set.  They were included along with the medieval feast foods I ordered a few years back, but they will end up going to my modern Mini-Deryni instead.  There were also a few items that came with the modern food set that aren't pictured here.  There was a small basket of strawberries, a measuring cup, four small ice cream cartons of various flavors and an ice cream scoop, 3 unwrapped chocolate-covered ice cream pops, and a box each of uncooked rice, quinoa, and goji berries.  What are goji berries, even?  These dolls eat more upscale food than I do!  ;D

And now, the surprise that was the highlight of my evening tonight.  While tidying up my living room, I found a shopping bag I'd not seen before that contained what appeared to be stuff from a thrift store (vintage handkerchiefs, doilies, crocheted lace collars) and these two items:

Small crowns by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I thought my husband had bought them for me as a sweet gesture, but it turns out he knew nothing about them!  He'd bought a box containing something else at the thrift store, and when he'd opened it, the bag I'd found was stuffed in there too, so he had just taken it out and not paid much attention to what was in it.  So maybe they're a present from Saint Camber.  LOL!

Coronation crowns? by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

These are too heavy and ornate for everyday use, but will serve wonderfully as crowns for state occasions.  Araxie's fits her perfectly.  Kelson's might need a discreet slit up the back to help it fit lower on his head, if I can figure out how to modify the hard plastic without breaking it.

Sophia II R by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Sophia models her Coronation crown.  She'll need to wear a proper Coronation gown with it, of course.

Haldane tiara by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This heirloom Haldane tiara will be sufficient for state banquets and other formal evening occasions.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Of all the things in a thrift store to get those crowns was... well... a work of magic. Really neat!  All of it is looking good!  Morgan rolling his eyes at the second scarf is classic, "What I do for family!"  ;D

Jerusha

Lovely!  I especially like Sophia's knooked outfit - it looks appropriately luxurious and expensive.

I would be interested in Eilonwy's reaction if Star Wars sheets show up on the bed.  Paddy might want a bottle of fianna and a few red roses standing by in case they are  needed.   ;D

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Eilonwy says she likes Star Wars too, but she'd rather not feel like she's sharing a bed with a 12 year old boy!

Here are some more updates:

Winter walkabout by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I made Sophia a little black dress she can wear with her new scarf and hat when she's making a public appearance.  I made it sleeveless, since that makes it easier to wear under a coat, plus it can be used without one for summertime appearances.

Making pattern for clutch purse by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I had a pattern to turn a binder clip into a purse, but unfortunately the size of binder clip that I have that would be a perfect clutch purse size was just a few millimeters smaller than the pattern was designed for.  So I'm making a paper mock-up out of a Post-it Note to get the proper fit to create a pattern for cutting out my fabric or pleather.  I haven't decided yet if I want to make the clutch out of black pleather, black satin, velvet, or some other material.

With belt added by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I made a black velvet belt with a silver buckle to go with Sophia's little black dress.  Here she is modeling it.

Devlin by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Devlin liked the photo of Sophia against the stark white background so much, he wanted a portrait made too.

Morgan Haldane by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And of course Morgan wanted his own moment in the spotlight as well.

Master bedroom pillows by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I found more of the good white bedsheet fabric in my stash, so Eilonwy got new matching pillows (the others went to the guest room to replace the lone understuffed pillow in there) with pillowcases to match her sheet. I embroidered red and black stripes on the gold fabric to help tie the pillowcases in wtih the rest of the colors on the comforter fabric.

Finished pillow cases by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here are the pillowcases stuffed with pillows and ready for the bed.

New pearl necklace by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I made Sophia a pearl necklace to go with her new dress.

Two necklaces by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The pearl necklace is the right length to wear with this dress.  The silver pendant is on a silver stretch elastic "chain" that is just a bit too long to wear with this dress if she's wearing the belt with it, as the pendant reaches nearly to the belt buckle, but it would look fine on an unbelted dress.

Trying both necklaces on by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This photo shows the length of the silver necklace compared to the pearls.  I considered cutting the silver cord shorter, but the extra length will also help the necklace fit properly if worn over a collared dress or blouse.

Master bed with pillows by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Eilonwy tries out her new pillows.  I still need to add a few throw pillows to the bed, but I'm nearly done.

Guest bed by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's a shot of the guest bed with the plumper pair of pillows that used to be in the master bedroom added.  Jen appreciates getting nicer pillows to sleep with.

--WARNING!!!--