• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:20:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 213
Total: 214
DerynifanK
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Morgan is lovely too, and given that they're fictional characters, I can look all I like!  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

A little something I picked up for Mini-Duncan at the Greek Food Festival last night:

Triptych by evian_delacourt, on Flickr
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

So I finally got up the courage to move Alaric to a better body today!

New apron by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Beheading dukes, even for the best of medical reasons, can be a messy business, so as the chief infirmarian on call, Sister Therese needed a new apron. This one is based on a 15th Century style.

Feline supervisor by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Even on holiday, I can't get away from feline supervision.

Surgery prep by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The infirmarian readies her scalpel as Fr Nivard and Bishop Duncan pray over the patient. Behind them, the blow drier and silicone putty stand ready for the procedure.

Nervous duke by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Alaric understandably looks a bit nervous.

Spare parts by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

On the left is Alaric's future body, already partly clothed. I was glad to see his clothing fits his new body, aside from the boots. The head and fisted hands were originally on this body, but I used the hair drier to heat the vinyl so I could switch the more relaxed hands onto Alaric's future body and take its head off. (The reason I didn't just use the other body in the first place is that the shoulder joints are a lot looser on it, and so I picked the body that holds poses better for Alaric.)  Since there are enough spare parts for a full figure, he will eventually become Seisyll Arilan after a repaint.  I've got extra spare hands at home, so Seisyll won't be stuck wielding swords or getting into fist fights all the time.

Do you mind? by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

After taking off Alaric's trousers (and providing him with a bit of covering for modesty's sake), it was time for the surgery.

A bit the worse for wear by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Alaric doesn't seem too thrilled about his decapitated state. At this point, that small knob at the end of his neck had to be carefully cut off. Needless to say, not having extra hands to spare for the camera during this process, I have no photos of the actual surgery.

Trimming the excess vinyl by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Cutting off the knob left a small hole, which had to be trimmed larger. It's about half trimmed away in this photo.  If you look closely, there is an outer "skin" layer surrounding the inner bit that I am trimming away.  I had to trim up to this outer ring of vinyl without cutting into or through it.

Plastic wrap brains by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

To fill up some of the space in order to help my two-part silicone putty stay where I wanted it, I wadded up some plastic wrap and stuffed it up into the top of Alaric's head, so now he's got brains in his noggin. As you can see in this photo, I hadn't trimmed all of the inner ring of vinyl away yet.

Two part silicone putty by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Behind Alaric is the two-part silicone putty I used to create a new  neck joint socket inside his head.  You take an equal-sized portion of each color and mix them together until they are well blended.  It hardens to a fairly solid consistency in just a few minutes, so I didn't take time to try to photograph this part of the process.  I took two marble-sized balls of the putty components and combined them to make a ball of silicone putty about the size of a large shooter marble, then stuffed the remaining space in Alaric's head with it, making sure some ended up inside his chin to help anchor it in his head, and filling the head opening pretty close to flush before shoving his head on over the neck peg.  The peg going into the (by that time just slightly hardening) putty creates its own socket at the putty continues to harden.  To avoid ruining the work by moving his head prematurely, I then left him lying on the countertop and went off to eat dinner.

Reheaded Alaric by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here is Alaric on his new body.  He's got  a really good skintone match.  The only problem with the process is that either the hair drier I borrowed gets much hotter than mine, or else this Ken head uses different hair than I am used to dealing with, because it got a bit frizzy and even melted in places, so he will need some hair styling to repair it once his neck joint has fully hardened. Fortunately most of the hair damage is hidden under undamaged hair, or is in places that can be trimmed away. All the doll hair I've ever dealt with could survive being dunked in boiling water, so I can't imagine why Alaric's hair is being such a pain. I'm fairly sure this blow drier doesn't exceed the heat level of boiling water!

Celebration by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

John and Duncan congratulate Alaric on his new look while Sister Therese stands by, relieved the surgery is over.

hair damage by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's a view of the worst of the hair damage. I am hoping a bit of trimming with some manicure scissors will get rid of the worst of it.

Proto-Seisyll by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And here is the future Seisyll on a body that is pretty close to identical to the one that Alaric has now.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Brief update: I managed to get Alaric's hair mostly managed by picking through it with a needle to straighten out what I could.  There was just one badly molten lump I had to cut completely off, but fortunately it was in the underlayer, and so I was able to hide the remaining gap with less damaged hair.  If I happen to find this head again elsewhere at a decent price, I'd consider replacing it and keeping this as the spare head, but with just a bit of attention his hair is looking more presentable, so I'll just be careful to keep him from heat sources from here on out.  Should have known a blond would turn out to be a tender head!  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

You finally did it! You decapitated a Duke! LOL  Poor Alaric!
I hope the body replacement worked. Can you move his head back and forth? I tried something similar and found the head was then clued into one position, but I may have been using the wrong stuff.
From what I can tell in the photo's, it is a great skin tone match. Now Alaric is finally the wide shouldered, agile man that he should be. I suppose you could painstakingly glue one blond hair on at at time to his stubby hairs to give them length. If you change his head out, then he just won't be the same Alaric.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Wonderful job and photo chronicle.  But am I imagining things, or does Seisyll look a little worried about keeping his head on his new body? 😀
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

His head swivels from side to side with ease. It nods forward and back just a tiny bit, which isn't as much range of motion as I'd like (I'd like for him to be able to truly look up and down), but since that's more forward and back motion than he originally had, I'll take it. I can always bend his body slightly along with the small head motion if I want to give him a more apparent looking up or looking down motion.

Combing the heat tangles out of his hair with a needle helped to lengthen as well as straighten them, so no need to try anything that painstaking. (Plus I'd be afraid of gluing large clumps of hair together, which is what I'm trying to fix in the first place, since the heat had fused some of the strands together similarly to what glue would do.)

Now that he has separate fingers, he's already demanding his rings, so I guess I need to do some research to remind myself what they are supposed to look like, and which ring goes on which hand!

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on October 12, 2015, 11:26:55 AM
Wonderful job and photo chronicle.  But am I imagining things, or does Seisyll look a little worried about keeping his head on his new body? 😀

LOL!  If anything, he should be happier about his new body. It's nearly identical to his old one, but because his head was on the wrong sort of neck joint pin (it had a cone-shape inside his head hole rather than a ball-shape), his head kept rocking back and forth on his neck too loosely, and he ended up looking at the ceiling a lot due to the weight of his head.  I tried him on the regular ball-shaped neck pin and that issue was instantly solved.  Since I had to create a new socket inside Alaric's head anyway, it didn't matter as much if that socket was cone or ball shaped, so I used Seisyll's old neck joint pin for Alaric. Problem solved.  I think he's just worried since he doesn't have any clothing yet!   ;D  (Though he's got new underwear since that photo was taken, so he ought to be a lot happier now.)

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Now that the silicone putty has hardened overnight, I popped Alaric's head off again to see what might be obstructing movement.

Trimming excess putty by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

There was a little too much putty in there impeding the movement of the neck pin in its socket, so I did a bit more trimming away, and now Alaric's head moves a little more freely.

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

LOL! Thank you.  :D I just paint my own, since I can't afford to have them done, but this brand seems to wear like iron, and using a two-in-one base and top coat with it seems to help also.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

Now Duncan can say "My cousin has rocks (the marbles) in his head!"

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!