• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 12:49:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 238
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on August 24, 2015, 07:32:01 PM
Rhemuth Cowboy Cheerleaders?

LOL! That must be it.   ;D

* Evie envisions Duncan and Helena in little cheerleader outfits. I think that might be called Suicide by Bishop!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Quote from: Jerusha on August 24, 2015, 07:32:01 PM
Rhemuth Cowboy Cheerleaders?

;D I Like that Jerusha. Much better than the plot I had envision of two cats chasing them off their perch at the top of the couch and them saving each other in the fall.  Luke and Gigi would never do that.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

But wouldn't the Rhemuth football team be called something more like the Knights?  Or perhaps the Lions?  :P
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Shiral

Literal "dry run" for a synchronized swimming routine? =o) 

Wait.....did the words "Hawaiian shirt" and "Duncan" appear in the same sentence?  You KNOW Alaric will want one too, right?  ;)

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

A little more work on this front this week:

Lovely new head by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Using a little of the money I've saved up over the past few months for Dragoncon, I purchased a Henry Cavill custom made head for less than I was expecting to find one anywhere, and it arrived just after the con. Fortunately I had a spare body (Denis' original one) in the body parts bin that I figured would be a perfect fit.

Front view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This is meant to be Henry Cavill from his role in the movie Man of Steel (the scenes where he's not wearing his Superman suit and has a bit of a beard growing in). I was originally drawn to it because my "inspiration pics" model for Father Devlin is Henry Cavill, but since I can't afford to start a whole new generation of Mini-Deryni, I decided he might work for an extra in Kelson's era. Besides, despite the fact that it's hard to find a good Henry Cavill photo where he's wearing Devlin-appropriate clothing but is completely beardless, Devlin actually is supposed to be clean shaven, but of the various action figure head sculpts of the actor available, this was the only one that I really liked.

On a body by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

But once I got him on a body and dressed, I figured it would be a shame to waste such a dishy little guy on a background extra. But who might he work well for? While still pondering over the question, I went ahead and dressed him as Father Devlin since, well, you know, strong mental association between inspiration pics/actor/head sculpt/Devlin.   ;D

Nocturnal shot by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I love the atmospheric look of this low light photo. I decided just to play around with seeing him in various angles and light settings before deciding what to do with him.

Home lighting by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The low light level just seems to heighten the realism.

Visiting the office by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

It was "Bring a Little Friend to Work" Friday. I thought everyone knew? Is it my imagination, or does my figure have a blue aura?

Hm...that's a thought.... by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

When I shared a few of these photos with revanne and Demercia, one of them (revanne, I think?) suggested that he might make a good Nigel Haldane.  I already had a Nigel, but I thought the idea was definitely worth considering.

In bright sunlight by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I couldn't resist taking the new figure, whoever he is, outdoors in the light of day on Friday to get some clear shots.

Two Nigels? by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

When I got home last night, I dug through the Mini-Deryni carrying case until I found my original Nigel figure, which I'm fond of, but his body isn't as good and some of his joints are a bit loose. I'm also a sucker for more realistic head sculpts.  Nigel Haldane is described in the books as having just a mustache in the 1120s, not a beard, but who knows what sort of facial hair he might have had by 1136? Here is a comparison view of the two figures.

New Nigel close-up by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The Carthmoor Blue tunic brings out the blue of the figure's eyes. Nigel ought to have gray eyes, but at this scale I'm a bit worried about trying to repaint them.  A lot of gray eyes are actually grayish-blue anyway, and most of the time it's hard to tell what color this head's eyes are unless the flash is on and you see the face at very close view. If I try any repainting, I may just darken the hair first and see how that goes (that part is usually quite easy), and if it goes well, I may try just a thin, translucent wash of light gray over the iris to turn it into a bluish-gray rather than blue.

The transformation is complete by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's the new figure dressed as Nigel Haldane.

Meraude checks out her husband's makeover by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Meraude seems quite happy with Nigel's new look. I've also used this opportunity to check out some slabs of foam I picked up from a discard bin at work to see if they will work for room walls.  I have two of the longer size (the wall behind the figures) and four of the shorter "side wall" size, so if I can find a foam cutter I might make some window walls and a door wall as well.  The small table was a gift that KK brought to Dragoncon for the Mini-Deryni. It's hard to tell from this photo, but the top is made of stained glass mosaic.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Evie, first off -nice table from KK.- I saw the pics from your dragon-con adventure. Loved those pics.
I can really see this new gent as Nigel, he looks good. Of all the photos I am rather fond of the one named "Home lighting by evian_delacourt, on Flickr" where Devlin is closeup with the book shelves in the background.  He looks real. No need to paint the eyes, under that long forehead, their color is not that distinguishable. I think he a nice addition to your mini-deryni collection and can pass for both century characters with ease. How does he and Denise look next to each other? I think he will look good joining Denise on modern day forays.

Evie

Here are Denis and Nigel together:

Denis and Nigel by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

No clue at the moment where Denis' little capelet thingy has run off to.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

There are two men who could turn some heads.  ;D To bad neither are eligible. ;)

Demercia

The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on September 13, 2015, 01:13:52 AM
There are two men who could turn some heads.  ;D To bad neither are eligible. ;)
Quote from: Demercia on September 13, 2015, 03:40:35 AM
Fr Devlin is eligible however........

LOL!  So he is. And he has an astonishing resemblance to Nigel Haldane for some odd reason.... ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

I thought I had posted this already!

Nigel and Meraude by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

With their height difference, Meraude looks almost childlike compared to Nigel, but on the other hand that's roughly the same height difference as there is between my very petite Mom and my Hubby, who is 6' tall to her 4' 9" or thereabouts.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

The new head makes a good Nigel, but an awesome Father Devlin!  Maybe I could change places with Queen Sophia next time he visits?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on September 13, 2015, 08:01:53 PM
The new head makes a good Nigel, but an awesome Father Devlin!  Maybe I could change places with Queen Sophia next time he visits?

You might have to queue up behind Demercia. ;D

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

--WARNING!!!--