• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 06:06:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 252
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 245
Total: 245

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerusha

St. Camber will be very pleased with the result, I'm sure.   :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Some more progress on the altar cloth:

Miniature altar cloth details by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Miniature altar cloth details by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I'm trying to decide if I like the more subtle outlined look of the outer central crosses (if that description makes sense) or if I want to go ahead and fill those in like the others.  I am not done yet; I mean to embroider the remaining two crosses in that central row as well, and add some other outlining of the quatrefoils around them with a thicker gold thread.  (My husband is the one who spotted the quatrefoil pattern and suggested that I highlight it, so you can thank him for that idea.)  But this is as far as I've got so far.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Duncan McLain

Quote from: Evie on September 22, 2014, 11:12:13 PM

From blond to sandy brown by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

He doesn't exactly look like me, does he? I don't think the planes of my face have looked that soft and rounded since I was a lad of 13.  I don't suppose you've ever considered taking up facial sculpture, have you?  You might get better likenesses for your action figures.
Right side by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Left side by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And who in heaven's name have I been letting hack at my hair?  Do I go to the butcher shop once a fortnight for my hair trims?   :D
Luke approves the new hair color by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Luke and Duncan enjoy a cozy moment after Duncan's makeover.

More like "Duncan contemplates his mortality and wishes Dhugal would hurry up and get here!"

Seriously, it's an interesting project. I've only had time for a brief skim, but I can hardly wait to see what you've inflicted on your miniature Alaric.... *wicked grin*

Evie

Really, Duncan?  Really?    :D

Yes, I know you're more of a manly man than I can portray with a Ken head, and I am well aware that being celibate and being castrated in childhood are two separate things.  But no, I am not going to add yet another hobby to my growing list just to appeal to your male vanity. Not enough time in the day, friend.  Sheesh!   ;D

And Luke is harmless. Mostly.

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Duncan McLain

Quote from: Elkhound on March 17, 2015, 06:00:16 PM
And, after all, isn't there a lion on your coat of arms?

Indeed, my lord, yet I have no wish to find myself reclining against a real lion either!  ;D

Laurna

If that is true, my lord, then I question your identity.   :o  For I am certain that the real Duncan could charm a lion to the very steps below Kelson's throne and have him sleep there peacefully; just as on his coat of arms. And I am certain that boyish glow seen in mini Duncan's features are still there under your charisma of maturity. ;D
So I must ask you to prove yourself as Duncan McLain. 8) Elsewhys I will not believe. ???
May your horses have wings and fly!

Duncan McLain

* Duncan McLain bows

My lady, if foolhardiness be the test of a man's identity, then I shall be happy to remain unproven to you.   :) If you will but recall the circumstances of that event to which you refer, even Kelson was quite wary of the cheetah which appeared so unexpectedly in his Court, and I certainly hope you doubt neither his identity nor his courage!  But not all Deryni possess the same gifts in equal measure.  Lord Rasoul himself was astonished at the level of my son's ability with the Animal Rapport talent, yet Dhugal initially had great difficulty with what most Deryni would consider the extremely basic skill of lowering his own shields.  I have enough talent with Animal Rapport to stay seated upon a fractious horse, especially if it is one I am well accustomed to handling, but I know my own limitations well enough to know that approaching a trained cheetah whose intentions are as yet unknown is a task best handled by someone whose skills in this area are greater than my own (although of course had Dhugal not been present, Alaric or I would both have responded to the perceived threat to the best of our abilities). And Rasoul himself pointed out that the cheetah is the only one of the great cats that responds well to taming and training.  You, on the other hand, expect me to be able to tame a wild lion! Even a man of Lord Rasoul's considerable Deryni training is not up to such a task.  I suspect even Dhugal would consider it a formidable challenge.

I am uncertain how to draw a parallel in words that would make sense in your cultural context, but perhaps this might help.  A man with average levels of skill and training in swimming ought to be able to swim across a fish pond.  It takes considerable more training and endurance to swim from the Ile d'Orsal to Coroth. although I suppose it might be managed by some.  Only a fool would attempt to swim from Coroth to Bremagne!  ;D

I am told that I still have a boyish look at times, especially when I am smiling, but I was referring more to facial structure. I should hope I look like I have passed well beyond the days of first youth by now, even when I am at my happiest, lest too youthful an appearance cause others to take me less seriously in my role as Rector of the Schola. I would hate to look even younger than my scholars! 

Laurna

QuoteMy lady, if foolhardiness be the test of a man's identity, then I shall be happy to remain unproven to you. ...You, on the other hand, expect me to be able to tame a wild lion! Even a man of Lord Rasoul's considerable Deryni training is not up to such a task.  I suspect even Dhugal would consider it a formidable challenge.

Well said, My Lord.
*Lady Laurna curtsies before the man she may know but is not yet certain of his true identity.*
I doubt neither our Sire's courage nor his identity; nor the abilities of his grace, Lord Dhugal.   :)  However, might I add that it is not they who have arrived in this most future date of 2015 to a land yet unknown in the Eleven Kingdoms. Did you perchance use your transport portal in a manner that is unwise and gleaned where that cake meant for Lady Revanne came from?  Or are you siting comfortably in you office, using one of Lady Evie's magic box's (with the lighted screen and the lettered keys) to communicate with us over this long distance of time?  Or perhaps some other form of communication is at work here that I am unaware of. I do apologize for my doubts, but your identity remains yet unproven. :D

I am told that I still have a boyish look at times, especially when I am smiling, but I was referring more to facial structure.
Ah my lord. At the least, this proves you are a man; for men admire the chiseled features of masculinity. Of course women admire this too, but in the faces of the men we adore, we see their boyish glow, no matter their age. In a women's eye, the charisma of youth is everlasting and does not diminish with time. Even after 930 years. ;D

Please enjoy your time on our forum, Lord Duncan. I look forward to hearing more from you.
*Laurna curtsies with a smile. She watches on the side waiting patiently with a keen eye for evidence as to who she is really talking too.*
May your horses have wings and fly!

Duncan McLain

My lady, in truth I am also quite puzzled by the exact means of my communication with those of you from a different time and place of my own.  I can tell you that it was no Transfer Portal accident which conveyed me here.  Perhaps it is a similar sort of magic to that which once transported the esteemed Sir Se of my cousin's acquaintance from the distant land of the Anvillers to Alaric's side at moments of need, or perhaps the sort of magic by which Stefan Coram once managed to appear before my eyes on a road not far from Coroth (which may, upon further reflection, be one and the same means of teleportation).  But those are higher magics than my level of training would allow me to explain, even after expanding the limits of my knowledge since becoming rector of the Schola. An Anviller might be in a better position to answer the question. Whatever is happening, it is beyond my conscious abilities.  Sometimes I am in my own place and time, and other times I am in yours. Perhaps it is even some sort of miracle, by the grace of Saint Camber.  Your guess is easily as good as mine.

I can tell you these things: the travels to your place and time tend to occur either when I am asleep or in deep trance, and when I am in your time, I appear to be communicating by means of an advanced form of technology. It does not have the aura of magic about it, however.  I am certain it must be merely some extremely advanced sort of clockwork, but I am afraid to expose the internal mechanisms of the small coffer for fear of destroying the device. Beyond these things, I cannot say.

As to who I truly am, I can only say that I am myself.  :)

Evie

If I can tear the topic away from Laurna's interrogation of our favorite bishop for a moment....  ;) ;D

Row of mini crosses by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I finished the central row of small crosses yesterday. Now it's time to add the larger quatrefoils around them. It dawns on me that this would also make a nice shelf runner when it's not on display in a chapel diorama.

Should I fill in the crosses that are only outlined, or just leave them as-is to contrast with the ones at the center and the ends which are fully filled in?  I haven't decided yet.  Thoughts?

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

I think the lined-but-not-yet-filled-in ones would look nice filled in, if that's not too much work.  :)

Very pretty, though. I always liked the combination of clean white fabric and shimmery gold thread.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

It's not too much work, just a little more time consuming. The tiny stitches defining the outline is much more fiddly than the filling in.

The embroidery looks really pretty in the sunlight.  The photo really doesn't do it justice, despite being taken in natural sunlight on a bright day.

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose