• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,568
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 03:23:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Good protection against Luke and other feline monsters though!

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

I think my favorite part of the article is the casual, almost offhand mention that the helmet was purchased after the armor was made, because the maker just happened to find the perfect helmet to match the armor at a Renaissance Faire.  Because, yeah, finding guinea pig helmets exactly when you need one happens all the time....   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

QuoteBecause, yeah, finding guinea pig helmets exactly when you need one happens all the time....   ;D

ROFL

I wonder what it would take to make a suit of armor for Arty,( my cavalier King Charles spaniel)  That would make a perfect costume for this years costume contest at the dog show. What would make good scales for scale mail? hmm.  and Jessa could be the damsel in distress.  Perhaps if I was really insane, Rexar would be a dragon.  lol.  I don't have that much time.  darn.  Halloween ideas!
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Try felt or, for more rigidity, craft foam.  It comes in thin sheets like felt, and in varying thicknesses.  There are quite an assortment of colors out there, and if you can't find it in a metallic silver, you could use acrylic paint on it.  Something like Liquitex brand (which I think is a latex acrylic paint) works best on flexible surfaces, but for a one-time use, regular acrylic paint should be OK.  Some spray paints might work also, though you may want to either pick one meant to be sprayed on plastic, or at least hold it over 18" away from the foam when you spray, so that the solvents in the paint evaporate away before making contact with the foam and don't eat away the smooth surface.  I think it can also be shaped with heat.  (Use a blow drier; a heat gun would probably melt it!)

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Here's a page with tips for working with craft foam.  Maybe I ought to make some tiny armor plates for the Mini-Deryni using these tips!

http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Oops!  I've been very negligent in not taking photos of these two ladies and posting them here until now:

Ladies-in-waiting by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

KK brought these to me at Dragon*con, but in the excitement of Duncan losing his head, I forgot to take photos of them to share until I came upon them again last night.

Singing lady by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This doll actually sings if you push a button on her body, although if I find an articulated body for her, she'll lose her singing voice.  Oh well, singing doesn't come across in photographs, but posing does, so I guess that's a fair enough trade.

Morgan coloring by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This is my favorite of the two new ladies, because her golden hair and gray eyes make me think she would work well for a Morgan daughter.  (Her eyes look darker in this photo than in real life, but they're definitely a soft dove gray in person and in natural light). I already have a Briony, so maybe this is Grania.  If so, she'd need to be on a younger looking (and preferably shorter) body than my other ladies--maybe one of the child or teen Obitsu action figures--but last night I put her on a spare Liv body so she can pose better than she could on her original Barbie body.  I only had one spare Liv body in the pale color, so the other lady will need to wait a while longer to get her replacement body.  Or maybe if I end up getting a more petite body for this head, the other lady can get this body later.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I can definitely see her as Grania, and Morgan doubling the guard at Coroth Castle once she reaches marriageable age!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

She is a pretty lady.  With that strawberry blond hair and grey eyes she is definitely a daughter of Richenda and Alaric. When the codex said in one part their daughter was Grania and in the other part it was Sophie(My shortening), I believed for years they were twins. Even though I  know better now, I still want to believe that Grania and Sophie are twins.  Therefore your smiling blond could be Sophie.  ;D

Nice gift from KK.

Quoteand Morgan doubling the guard at Coroth Castle once she reaches marriageable age!

Oh my!  Morgan will have apoplexy. The only thing that could kill our hero will be his daughters.

Shiral

Guard details? He'd also be setting a permanent Moving Ward around her! And stock the Coroth Castle moat with piranhas.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

We should come up with a Gwynnedian version of the "Rules for Dating My Daughter".

revanne

Quote from: Elkhound on October 17, 2014, 08:55:32 AM
We should come up with a Gwynnedian version of the "Rules for Dating My Daughter".

I'm sure as far as Morgan is concerned there are none!

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on October 17, 2014, 10:38:58 AM
Quote from: Elkhound on October 17, 2014, 08:55:32 AM

I'm sure as far as Morgan is concerned there are none!

No rules because he trusts his daughters completely, or no rules because no one is ever going to get close enough to one of his precious daughters to date them?  Or both? ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Or because all the boys in Gwynned are so terrified of him that they wouldn't dare ask?

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

QuoteAll of the above.  ;D

Short of marrying a Haldane or a von Horthy, I don't think any other young knight will stand a chance to get close enough to even meet Alaric's daughters.