• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 196
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 180
Total: 180
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 09:56:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Quote from: Laurna on August 25, 2014, 01:24:34 AM
and to meet the Queen. 

For Luke

Pussy cat, pussy cat, where have you been?
"I've been to London to look at the Queen"
Pussy cat, pussy cat, what did you there?
"I chased a little mouse under a chair" (traditional. Anon)
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Some photos from Bacon Bash, the SCA event I went to this weekend:

Duncan with Helena and Dhugal by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Duncan appears to be recovering nicely from his head transplant.  Dhugal's new tunic helps to bring out the red tints in his hair.

Two McLains and a Lady by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Father and son pose with Helena in the tent where I spent the night at Bacon Bash.

New Court Tunic by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I started this tunic for Dhugal while attending Bacon Bash.  It was finished shortly after feast.  Here is Dhugal wearing it for the first time.

Castle siege by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Little knights storm the castle.  They were a little oversized for the castle, but it was a cute scene nonetheless.  I think this was the centerpiece for High Table.

Tiny portcullis by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

View of the portcullis.  I wish I could find that pebble print paper!  I think the castle was cardboard covered with scrapbooking paper.  I've got a miniature wooden castle at home that I would love to give that sort of faux stone wall look if I can find a source for this paper.

Mini-Deryni and their littles by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This was the little castle centerpiece for my table at feast.  As you can see, my Mini-Deryni found a couple of Mini-Deryni of their own to play with!

Music appreciation by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The Mini-Deryni found the harp music so appealing, they decided to climb onto the harp for a closer seat.  I'm not sure how helpful that was.

Protecting the lady by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Dhugal gallantly kept a protective arm around Helena to ensure she wouldn't fall off the harp, since she didn't want to sit astride it without trews under her skirt.

Mini-Lord and Mini-Lady by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

MINI-mini-Deryni!

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Dhugal, ever the gallant gentleman, protecting the lady from a fall. and what a fall that would be indeed. ;D

Beautiful harps! What a fun location. Looks like a great hall of a castle.  Glad Duncan is getting out and about after his ordeal.
And I dig on Dhugal's new tunic.  ;D
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Nice new tunic for Dhugal - it looks very rich and impressive. 

So that's Dhugal holding Helena secure on the harp.  Duncan wasn't feeling quite up to it yet?   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Maybe not. Or maybe Dhugal thought about how tongues might wag if a bishop was spotted with his arms around a comely lady in the Great Hall, so he offered to hold Helena instead. I'm sure she didn't mind the assistance either way.:)

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Evie

I'll have to check that out sometime, Elkhound.

And now for something completely different.  Here's what I put together while attending my SCA kingdom's Coronation today:

Choosing trim for a new Viking apron dress by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

This work is still in progress.  And Duncan's pesky shoe sole came off yet AGAIN, so once we got home, this time I fixed that dratted shoe for good (I hope!) with some craft glue.  Take THAT, shoe! 

While shopping for a nice pottery mug for myself, I also happened upon a beautiful tiny pottery plate that looks just the right size for a glazed earthenware platter for the littles.  I bought a mug and a tiny "taste-tester" sized mug for myself, so the merchant threw in the teeny platter for free.

Mini platter by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Trying out the trimmed apron dress. by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I finished the decorative stitching along the seams last night and added the trim and brooches today.  It still needs a little work.  The shoulder straps need to be shortened just a bit, and the brooches (buttons) don't hang quite right, but I am hoping that if I add a few strands of beads, the necklaces hanging under the buttons will help to hold them up in the proper position.  They may also look better if moved just a little closer together.  However, I am trying to avoid the "rigid breast protection" look.  Helena's not some Valkyrie in need of an armored bra! 

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

So Evie, what are the additional basting stitches for?  (No pun intended.)  Are you adding extra detail to the seams?

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

No, those stitches are the decorative details. In period that would have been a way to finish the seam, by using a running stitch to tack down the seam edges on either side, but often a contrasting color of thread was used to sew those stitches, turning them into decoration as well as serving a practical purpose. Or sometimes an embroidered motif would run down each seam to serve that purpose, or some cord would be couched in place over the seam, similar to modern piping.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Adorned by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I added the final touches to Helena's outfit tonight.  I'm still not entirely happy with the brooch placement, but any alterations will need to wait until I've got more time and better light to work with.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

That makes perfect sense, and I suspect Helena is shaking her head at me and suggesting I find a good sempster to teach me the proper way to sew!

Or I may just stick to needlepoint.  ;)

I like the additional beadwork - does Helena have a matching bracelet on her wrist?

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

I'm sure that finding buttons/brooch materials small enough for a 1:6 scale apron dress is a real pain in the tuchus, but it seems to me that perhaps the buttons-cum-brooches are a bit large and I'm wondering if that's the problem.  The apron dresses I've seen have brooches that were smaller, proportionate to the dress and the person, than those are on a 1:6 scale.  If you could find something smaller, they might look less like bust armor if moved closer to the mid-line of Helena's body.  :D

Those are lovely buttons, though, and the rest of it looks great.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Moving the brooches a few millimeters closer to the mid-line is what I have in mind.  As for the brooch size, these are 3/4" diameter buttons, which is the equivalent to a brooch that is 4.5" in diameter.  So that is fairly standard.  I could have dropped down to a 1/2" button (3" real life equivalent), but then the buttons might not cover the ends of the necklace strands completely, and also the larger the brooch, the greater display of rank and wealth. I think the problem isn't so much the button size, but the depth of the button shanks.  Actual brooches have a pin back that is set into the dome, allowing the brooch to sit flush against the fabric rather than 1/8" or so above it.  (And in this scale, 1/8" is a HUGE gap!)   I considered cutting off the shanks and just gluing the buttons in place, but then that would leave the problem of how to secure the necklaces to the dress.  The wool is fairly thick, so perhaps I could slice a small buttonhole into the fabric just long and deep enough to sink the shanks into, leaving the button more flush with the fabric.  I'm still considering various ideas.

She's wearing two bracelets, Jerusha.  One is a Celtic knotwork bracelet that started out as a toe ring, and the other is a diamond-studded bangle that started off as a necklace or bracelet clasp.

--WARNING!!!--