• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 166
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 165
Total: 166
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 09:42:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

I read an article somewhere ( can't remember where!) in a non-religious context where the author reckoned that medieval people were better off praying to saints than consulting a doctor because at least the saints would not actively make them worse and there was always the possibility prayer might work. But of course our Rhys being a healer is a bit different and you could always look adoringly at him rather than at his instruments - On second thoughts forget that, Evaine worked with him on a lot of his healings. That really would be dangerous.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

The hooks would be used to hold the sides of an incision open so that the surgeon could work on them.  Modern doctors use them, too.  On a medical show when the surgeon asks that nurse for 'retraction', that's what he's asking her to do.

Evie

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Evie, I'm impressed. The detail of everything in that pack is great. Rhys and Evaine will be cherished when they find their way back to their new home.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Very, very well done, Evie.  I can even picture Evaine tickling Rhys' nose with one of those quill feathers as he leans over to see what she is working on.  ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Aerlys

As always, I stand in awe of your talent and attention to detail. I love the tiny bottles, and the little twisty detail on the instrument handles. So glad you have time off so we can enjoy you amazing work.  :)
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Well, it looks like I'm behind in updating this project, so here goes.  I'll lead off with Denis' new ring, since I can't remember if I uploaded the photo or not.  I made it while my parents were still visiting, so I may have forgotten.

Denis Arilan has a new ring. by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

To make the ring, I just wound gold thread around Arilan's finger (the way I made Evaine's wedding ring), then dabbed it with some craft glue that dries crystal clear in order to set the threads in place.  While the glue was still wet, I positioned the adhesive-backed purple rhinestone on the band.  He's quite happy to have his new ring.

Bargain sofa by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

While out shopping with my mother, I found this jewelry box couch at Ross for $6. Archbishop Cardiel thinks it's a little odd (and more Barbie or Monster High than male action figure scale), but at least it's comfortable. He's showing off his new cassock that I made last week.  I used the new sewing machine to sew it, so it came together quite quickly.  I also made his new shoes.

New formal gown by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I had some turquoise satin and a matching organdy gift bag, so I thought I'd try my hand at making Helena a modern evening gown with the matching fabrics, since neither fabric looks particularly medieval.  I completed the underlying gown first, then debated how I wanted to add the sheer top layer.  A matching capelet, perhaps?  I was hesitant to try to cut and sew seams in the sheer fabric, and I knew I'd only get one chance to get things right.  I also wanted to incorporate some microbeads into the design somehow.  Here is Helena modeling the gown.

Finished undergown. by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

It could be worn as-is, but I think it needs a little something more. Poor Duncan doesn't know what to make of his friend displaying this much cleavage, and it's a little awkward trying to carry on a conversation while staring fixedly into her eyes or somewhere over her right shoulder, so I suspect he'll find an excuse to sit out this dance.   ;D

Side view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Side view of the gown.  I didn't have any snaps with me (this was made while I was up in Tennessee this weekend), so it's fastened behind with a tiny pin that I'll replace when I have time to sew in a more appropriate fastener.

Back view from angle by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The back of the skirt is slit to knee height to allow enough ease in the narrow skirt for walking and sitting.  The open back above the waist band was not part of the original design, but I miscalculated the measurements and didn't allow enough width in the back pieces for overlapping it and snapping it up all the way to the top.  However, I like the final look, so I've decided that the V-shaped rear neckline is a feature rather than a bug.   ;)

Finished? by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The former organdy bag makes a nice over-layer for the satin gown beneath.  I just took the drawstring out and used the bag uncut, saving the drawstring.  I used a small bit of the silver drawstring for the necklace chain. Another snippet will be used to make a ring.

Rear view by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's the rear view with the sheer layer in place.  It is simply held in place by the belt/waistband.  I forgot to mention the little box earlier; I found that at an antiques mall this weekend for $6.  Helena is thinking of giving it to Richenda.  It will be useful for storing small items like mini-jewelry.

Beaded accents by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I dabbed glue onto the belt in crescent shapes using the end of a toothpick, then dipped the wet glue into silver microbeads to echo the silver designs in the sheer fabric. A little goes a long way. I used Ultimate Pick crafters glue, which dries completely clear.  This is the same glue I used to make Bishop Arilan's ring, and also to put together Archbishop Cardiel's shoes.

Close view of belt by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here is a closer view of the bead-embellished belt.

Helena's new ring by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I use a scrap of silver braid (formerly the drawstring to the organdy bag) and some transparent aqua microbeads to make a ring for Helena.

I also made Duncan some new clothing this weekend, but I haven't had time to photograph him in his new duds yet, so I'll have to upload that report later.  He has new braies (like medieval boxer shorts/undies), red woolen chausses with black and white points to tie to the waistband of the braies, and an ivory undershirt, though the undershirt may go to Nigel eventually since it is a very soft, buttery-feeling blend of silk and cotton that is so sumptuous I thought it ought to be in a Prince's or King's wardrobe, and I also got some royal blue velvet fabric, so I think Nigel is destined to get some Court finery in his Carthmoor colors.  Duncan also has a new purple zucchetto (the little priestly skullcap) of purple satin that fits his head better than his "felt pancake" zucchetto.  It's not perfect, but at least it's more or less the proper shape.  It's very hard to sew a perfect dome-shaped cap at that scale, so it's a little more pointed on top than I'd prefer, but it's closer to looking right than his original one was.  I also want to make him some little shoes to match his chausses, since I have enough of the same fabric left over.

So more later, once I have time to take Duncan's photos!

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

You managed to find a use for every little bit.  Beautiful job!  I can just imagine the look on Duncan's face the first time he sees Helena in her new gown.  I think Duncan may be paying a visit to Cardiel shortly afterwards.  ;D

Is that Gigi sharing the spotlight behind Helena?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Actually, no, we were visiting our friends in Tennessee this weekend, so that is their cat Gilda (short for Guildenstern) photobombing Helena.   Duncan is remaining conspicuously absent, as are my other little Deryni gentlemen, or at least my clergy.  I may need to find Helena a 21st Century dance partner.   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

OK, so speaking of Duncan....

New undershirt and chausses by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here is Duncan modeling the new silk/cotton blend undershirt and wool chausses. In the Middle Ages, cotton would have been as valuable as silk, at least in Western Europe, since both fabrics had to be imported from distant countries.  Duncan is a bishop and a former duke, so he might own an undershirt this fine, but it may eventually end up in a Haldane's wardrobe instead.

Front of chausses and braies by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

"You want me to do what?!"  Duncan needed a bit of coaxing before he agreed to show off his new braies, but I finally managed to convince him that medieval undies are just as modest as modern shorts worn as outerwear in summertime.

Close view of points by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The black and white corded points secure the tips of the chausses to the drawstring waist of the braies.

Rear view of braies and tops of chausses by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Duncan hopes this photo session will be over soon!

Rear view of undershirt and zucchetto by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The undershirt helps smooth out the lines of the braies and chausses. Those last two photos also show off Duncan's new zucchetto (the purple skullcap).  Yes, stop gawking at his butt and look at his cute little hat!  It turned out a little more pointy on top that I would have preferred, but it's hard to sew a perfect little dome shaped hat at such a small scale, At least the curved seams are a step in the right direction.

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

:oDuncan must be having nightmares at what you put the poor man through!

You are such a multi-talented lady though :)
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Congratulations you have become a true couturier of the littles. The blue gown is lovely. I love the look.  And Duncan's underwear are well done. Although, I got the impression he feels like he is standing in front of an execution squad instead of a camera. Please remind him that cameras don't steal the soul, so he is safe. I think Helena is an actress ready to receive a reward at the Oscars for her roll in the Deryni series.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Poor Duncan is probably wondering how much penance he'll have to do after this latest photo shoot!  He may lock himself in his study for safety for a while.

Of course, I hope he doesn't, so we can see more (of his new fashions, I meant!  :o)  Nice job on the improved zucchetto.  Much better than the purple pancake.   :D

-- Old English Litany

revanne

I think it is more likely that Duncan will claim that someone has performed a shape changing spell and stolen his identity ;D
(Psalm 46 v1)