• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 382
Total: 382
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 05:07:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

I had a rather wicked grin at the Lord Bishop's reaction to his niece for sale at public auction ;D
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

LOL!  I'm sure the poor guy would have apoplexy!  It's probably a good thing he's staying too busy to discover eBay....

Denis_Pizza by evian_delacourt, on Flickr
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

I finally had a chance to test out the new sewing machine:

Testing the new sewing machine by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

There is a handy card that shows what all the decorative stitch choices are:

I still need to experiment with the stitch and tension settings, but so far, so good....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

Your sewing machine has more fancy stitch options than mine.  :o Cool, though! The littles will have more court finery in their future.
Melissa

You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Laurna

Nice, you have some I don't have. They'll look great as edgings for your mini wardrobe. Enjoy!
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

New stuff:

Cass Draper got a new coif and Schola robes:

I still need to make the matching hood and cincture to go with the scholar's robe.

And Celsie got a new gown:

I had cut out this gown before I injured my arm, but never got around to sewing it. It was originally meant for Richenda, but I accidentally cut the sleeves too snug to go on an action figure body. Today I realized that a Liv body's arms might be slender enough to fit through the sleeves, so I sewed the pieces together and did a test fit. Celsie's arms and hands are just barely small enough to fit through the sleeves, and pale blue is her favorite color, so she gets the new gown. I may add pearls or some other simple embellishment later.

This will probably end up as an undergown.  Wearing something over it will help to camouflage flaws such as one sleeve being a bit snugger than the other one.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Love to see the sewing machine at work. Too much fun. Celsie looks good in her under-dress. What colors were Lord Derry's? I was thinking at least one color was sky blue, but I may be wrong. I little gold embroidery work on an overdress would be great. Being as how Celsie is well learned at stitchery.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

I think Derry does have blue in his heraldic device, though perhaps not sky blue. (Medieval heraldry didn't tend to distinguish between blue and sky blue except in certain cultures and time periods.) I just picked up some good thread last night that is supposed to be suitable for machine embroidery, so we shall see. In the meantime, I've started work on Rhys's Healer's pouch in hopes of getting KK's littles completed and out the door to her soon. The bag's side seams are hand sewn to give them more of a hand stitched leather look.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

I've finished making Rhys's Healing kit (the carrying case, anyway) and am in the process of stocking it.

Bag in progress, with the sides stitched in.  I used hand stitching rather than machine stitching to replicate the look of a hand-stitched leather bag.

Side view of the bag

Checking to make sure the medicine bottles would fit inside.  I added a strip of the faux leather to the inside bottom of the bag to help it stay flat at the bottom.

Completed bag.  The buckle was made for scrapbooking, but it's a decent scale for a large 1:6 scale buckle, so I created a strap fastener for the flap.

Contents thus far.  I'm still trying to work out how to make tiny surgical instruments and perhaps a protective pouch for the quick reference chart.  The bottles are filled with dried mint flakes, chili powder, and mustard powder.  I suppose the latter two could be used to make poultices, and the mint could be used for digestive problems or put into steaming hot water for inhalation therapy.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

1:6 scale medieval surgical instruments by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I used some moldable plastic to create some miniature instruments for Rhys's kit. Once the plastic is fully cooled, it can be painted to look like metal.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Oh dear, what is the hook for?   :o ;D

Seriously, nicely done.  The satchel looks very realistic, and I like the little bottles.  Rhys will look the part of a proper Healer, to be sure.  Are you still sending Evaine with pens and parchment?

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

I have some quill pens and an ink well for Evaine. Will have to see if I have suitable parchments on hand, as I won't have access to my color printer for two weeks. (It's at work and I'm on vacation.)

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Finished the reference guide pouch and a medical instrument holder:

I'll work on painting the instruments tomorrow.  I think they are supposed to be bronze, but I want to double-check.

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Beautifully done - you must have loads of patience. Can't look at the instruments though, they remind me far too much of the dentist!

Re Celsie's dress it looks gorgeous and I guess lots of real life dresses had a few flaws. Bet that's where a lot of the ornamentation came in as even the wealthy would not have been able to afford to discard good material.
The new sewing machine looks loads of fun. Enjoy!
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on June 10, 2014, 06:21:50 PM
1:6 scale medieval surgical instruments by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I used some moldable plastic to create some miniature instruments for Rhys's kit. Once the plastic is fully cooled, it can be painted to look like metal.

Medieval medicine wasn't for sissies, even if you could afford a Healer's services, evidently. I don't want to know where that hooky thing would go!
::) :o

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!