• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 05:15:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 252
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 244
Total: 244
Google
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on May 20, 2014, 04:17:28 PM
The flip side of this is that they can be beastly hot to wear in summer, at least in the modern Southern US.  Wearing natural fiber fabrics helps (and of course they had no other sort back then)...

Except silk.  Silk doesn't breathe for anything.  But linen would have been common in the UK during the time period, and linen breathes beautifully; it just wrinkles if you so much as look at it the wrong way, LOL.

So saith she who made most of her SCA garb out of linen.  I do have a few cotton pieces as well, although cotton was beastly expensive in period and until the invention of the cotton gin, some years out of SCA period.  But the cotton pieces pass the 10-foot rule, so it works well enough.

One of these days, I'll get back to going to events; I have a nice length of silk to make court garb out of, but I don't trust myself to sew silk because it can be difficult to handle and my sewing skills are intermediate at best.

Being dark-haired, I found that covering my head with natural-colored or white muslin or linen is actually cooler than going bare-headed, especially when I do my vaguely Middle-Eastern look with its loosely draped headdress.  (I tend to favor that look in the summer, going for my actual period--14th C. England--when the weather is cooler.)  It also keeps my face from getting sunburnt because of the way I drape it to provide shade over my head and face.

Evie, looking forward to seeing the littles' wimples now that you've figured it out.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

Very intriguing healer's manual.  Where did you get the content from?  It looks very interesting (and maybe slightly disturbing  :)). ) Can you enlarge a picture for the detail?

Yeah, I know.  You just flashed a bright, sparkling object in front of me and I want to know more. 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

DesertRose, here's a good photo of the wimple worn with a veil:

It's essentially a tube of fabric that is narrower at the face end than at the end that covers the shoulders, with the seam gathered under the chin to help secure it and create more of a hood shape.  I've tried other wimple styles, but they require pinning to stay in place, not to mention veil bands, which don't stay in place on a Barbie head as well as they do on a human head.  With this style, it stays in place on its own, and the veil can be pinned to the wimple rather than into the doll's head, which means less likely damage to the doll.  (Not to mention my little ladies appreciate not having their heads impaled just to keep their headgear on!  ;D )

Jerusha, I did a Google image search for "medieval physician manuals" or some similar keywords and then just saved images with pictures and text layout that looked like they'd still look interesting if I shrank them down to 1:6 scale.  (What the texts actually said or what alphabet they were written in was irrelevant, since at that scale the writing would be unreadable anyway.)  I then used Microsoft Publisher to arrange the pictures in such a way that they could be easily folded up, map-like, into a travel-sized reference, then saved the page as a .jpg.  After that, I reopened the new .jpg, which had a lot of white space around it (the original page it was on, and then cropped all the white space off, resaving it as just the image itself.  Let me see if I can give you a closer look at the graphic:

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

Thanks, Evie.  Now I apparently know how to lance boils.  :o

Someday, I may learn to be careful what I ask for.  :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

LOL!   IIRC, that page was meant to illustrate the surgical treatment of anal fistulas, although the painful-looking impalement-by-scimatar sketch puts me more in mind of what a battle surgeon might need to deal with when treating a Gwynneddan soldier who turned to "advance to the rear" at just the wrong moment while facing a Torenthi swordsman.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

"Ooch!" :'(

When a physician had to consult the calendar and the position of the moon and the stars to know if he could heal his patient, it makes one wonder if anyone was ever cured. If the patient didn't naturally heal, their prognosis likely was not too good.

I like your physician's almanac. Have you determined how to make leather covers for them?
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

They didn't quite mean that, any more than the Chinese acupuncture/acupressure and martial arts pressure point charts (as a former karate and jujitsu student, I know that there was a great deal of congruence--just as in Western medicine a given drug can be either medicine or poison depending on how it use) associate certain points with certain times of the day.

Evie

So I've been working on this gown off and on, and now I think it's finally ready to show off:

Sophie in her wedding dress by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's Sophie de Varnay de Arilan in her wedding finery.  I am thinking of adding some gold or silver stitching at the sleeve hems to disguise the tiny holes at the selvedge of the fabric on one side, or I might use  microbeads for the purpose instead, but aside from that, I think it's done.  She's a knight's lady, not a duchess, so I'd like to keep her look simple, but at the same time this is her wedding finery, which will later be used as a best gown for special occasions, so I think it should look a little fancier than her daily wear.

Laurna, for a closer look at what a medieval physician was expected to know regarding astrology/astronomy (the two were considered to be effectively the same thing in the Middle Ages) and the effect that the stars and planets were believed to have on the human body, check here:

http://www.bl.uk/learning/histcitizen/medieval/medicine/medievalmedicine.html

and here:

http://www.new-library.com/zoller/features/rz-article-medicine.shtml

It's not so much that they had to check the star chart to figure out if a patient could be healed as it was that they used those charts to aid in diagnosing the problem, the most likely cause for it (according to their worldview, anyway), and the best method of treatment.  Plus, having a visual reference handy meant that they could also explain their theories to the patient more easily.  Now, granted, I'd rather have my own doctor use modern-day lab tests or MRIs and a copy of Gray's Anatomy....   :)

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Since you first mentioned the almanacs a while back, I looked into it then and was surprised about the astronomy connection to medicine.  Here is quote from the second link you give:

QuoteAstrological calculations were thought absolutely necessary to determine the appropriate time to commence or change treatment and planetary movements were regarded as strongly influencing the patient's prognosis.

Since this was use for hundreds of years, I can only comment on the human body's natural abilities to heal, regardless of what physicians thought would work.

Sofia looks wonderful in her new gown. The color brings out her eyes.  I would love to see little embroideries on the sleeves, but I also know how long that takes.  She is lovely.  :D

Aerlys

Some types of homeopathy still use the date and time of one's birth to determine certain treatments. IIRC it has to do with the effect of the gravitational pull of the moon. (Please correct me if I am mistaken. i can't find my notes.) Who knows? All I know is that I have had great results with that particular remedy...

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Missing:  One proto-Arilan.  Last seen wearing Duncan's borrowed clothing.  Wanted for reclothing purposes.  I can't find him anywhere!  I looked through all of my action figure cases, but he's not in any of them. 

We're not in Gwynedd anymore by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The last place I remember seeing him for sure was on top of a bookcase, and I sure hope he hasn't gone and fallen behind it, because that bookcase is heavy and I'm likely to never see him again!  I'll keep looking for him, but I'm wondering if King Kelson has sent him out on some undercover mission.  Or has Gigi hauled him off and hidden him in some secret lair?  :-\

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

OR... Desert Rose's house sprite has moved to your home and is making his presence known.  ;D

I hope he is not behind your book shelf either; if it were my house, it might be years before he is recovered.

Check out all of Gigi's favorite hiding niches.

Good luck Evie

DesertRose

I'd say it's an attack of the house-sprites for sure.  :)  That, or your personal furry house-sprite got him and took him somewhere.

I also hope he's not behind the bookshelf, because that'll mean he'll be a pain to retrieve.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

If Gigi stole him, he's probably under the couch.

I hope he's under the couch.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Maybe he built a Transfer Portal when you weren't looking.  Hopefully he'll be back shortly after a quick trip to Tre-Arilan or Dhassa.

You could ask Alaric to scry for him, but he might not try very hard.

Let's hope he's found under the couch.

-- Old English Litany