• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:20:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 126
Total: 126
Google
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Re: Work In Progress--Deryni Action Figure Project (was Duncan Action Figure)

Started by Evie, March 11, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiral

Congratulations on the Sewing  Machine, Evie! Now the littles will have even MORE amazing wardrobes.  But Santa was good to you, this year.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

They could well be "amazing" if I am using a machine to sew them, though not necessarily in a good way!  But hopefully I'll get the hang of it...eventually....   :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

There should be a Deryni spell for straight seams and proper curves.  Oh, and some kind of last rites for all the pins I run over.    ::)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Aerlys

Heh, my sewing machine needs a spell to protect it from me! Machines, like vacuum cleaners and sewing machines, seem to commit hari kari when I use them.  >:( At least the computer and I have come to terms, though I do find that Macs are far more reasonable contraptions.

Hang in there, Evie, you'll get the hang of it! You're a most talented lady.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Replacement Araxie? by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I spotted this little lady in the thrift store a couple of weeks ago, before going to Chattacon, and bought her for that dress.  I thought I might be able to modify it to look a little more Elizabethan if not medieval.  After a closer look at the skirt design, I realized that it would be more trouble to modify than it's worth.  But then I realized that the new blonde lady could easily be transformed into a more suitable Queen Araxie than the one I've currently got.  I have never managed to get Araxie's eye repaint to look right, but this doll's eye color could easily be painted over with a light gray, and unlike the original Araxie head, there aren't thick layers of modern-looking "glam" makeup that have to be wiped away (along with the original eye paint), so it would be a much easier makeover.  The burgundy lips won't be a problem to change.  I can either paint over them with a paler pink color like I did for Helena (who also started out with lips this dark), or even wipe the original paint off and paint the lips back on with a softer shade of rose. Lips are much easier to recreate from scratch than eyes.  So I may try a makeover on her this weekend and see if she comes closer to my vision of Araxie.  Hopefully Kelson will be pleased with his wife's new look.

Replacement Araxie? by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Here's a closer view of her face.  She originally came on a Barbie body, but I went ahead and rebodied her on an articulated Liv body, and conditioned and detangled her hair.  She has the same face sculpt as Helena, I think, but her different coloring should keep her from looking too much like a close relative.  Once I've done a repaint, I'll photograph them side by side to make sure they look different enough to pass as completely unrelated characters.  She tells me she's keeping the dress.  It may not look very medieval, but it's warm and looks quite regal despite that, so she'll smuggle it into her wardrobe if she has to. 

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

Hope he won't scream "Impostor! Off with her head!" instead.  8) Being queen is a risky job.

Jerusha

Nice find, Evie!  Although she might keep her head, when the other ladies of the court spy that fur trim, her dress may go "conveniently missing."   ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Quote from: Shiral on February 01, 2014, 12:48:30 AM
Hope he won't scream "Impostor! Off with her head!" instead.  8) Being queen is a risky job.

This is Kelson of Gwynned; not Henry VIII of England.

Shiral

Yes.... however, a king can be forgiven a few suspicions if his wife suddenly turns up with a whole new head, right?  ;)

Melissa

Elkhound

In one of the Oz books there was a princess with a whole room full of heads--she'd choose a new one each day.    She decided she wanted Dorothy's---but promised to trade it for one of the heads she didn't wear very often.  Unsurprisingly, Dorothy didn't want to go along with the idea.

Aerlys

While "shopping" for Shiral's birthday cake, I found this:

Made me think of this thread.  ;D
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Shiral

Quote from: Aerlys on February 05, 2014, 01:55:02 PM
While "shopping" for Shiral's birthday cake, I found this:

Made me think of this thread.  ;D

LOL!! It's too perfect. Evie is the Henry VIII of the Little's World.  (Although I must say, none of them seem to mind, much.)
Melissa

Aerlys

Quote from: Shiral on February 05, 2014, 02:41:11 PM
LOL!! It's too perfect. Evie is the Henry VIII of the Little's World.  (Although I must say, none of them seem to mind, much.)
Melissa

I was thinking more along the lines of Frankenstein, myself. She's not trying to kill them off, after all, just bringing new life to her projects. 

Hmmm...

**Wonders who gets to be Igor..**

Hilaire Belloc

Elkhound

Mistress Bolyn: "Annie dear, don't go loosing your head over some man."

Evie

Aerlys, that's some cake!   ;D

Tonight, Richenda and Araxie had makeovers.  Warning:  Doll nudity follows.   ;)

The Before photo by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Richenda's original action figure body was too pale for her golden tan skin,  giving her a marked color difference at the join between head and neck.  Araxie had a darker body,  but it was not nearly dark enough for her super tanned face,  and I have never been happy with how her repainted eyes looked even after two attempts to fix them.  The new blonde head has nearly identical facial structure to the old Araxie (hard to tell in this photo due to how much bigger the repainted eyes look, but the facial sculpt is the same underneath the different paint jobs), and she already has the Haldane Gray eyes.  All she needs is more natural lip color,  but that's a much easier fix than an eye repaint.  So I decided to try a body swap.

The makeover results by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The new Araxie head looks superb on Richenda's former body,  which is a much better color match for the new Araxie.  Richenda's head is a much closer match to Araxie's former body, and the color difference is even more negligible when viewed in person.  The overly tan head Araxie used to have can go back to being a practice head,  and the Liv doll body can go back into the spares bin.  It's more suited for a teen figure anyway.  Any gripes Alaric might have about Richenda's new, less busty body should be allayed once he discovers that her new body is more flexible due to her new torso joint, allowing her to be more active.  I'm sure he'll think of some interesting activities to test his wife's improved articulation.  He's a clever man.   ;D  And Araxie's more solid torso will give her the dignified bearing befitting a Queen who must spend long hours sitting on a throne or at High Table displaying the best of postures.

Dressed for court by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Despite the body swap,  they can still fit into their old clothes.  Here are the Queen and the Duchess of Corwyn looking even better than before.

Kelson gives his approval by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Kelson checks out his new improved queen. He seems quite pleased with the results of the makeover.   :)

--WARNING!!!--