• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:52:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 84
Total: 84
Google (AdSense) (3)
Bing (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Last night's craft project--"Shiral" necklace with St. Michael medallion

Started by Evie, July 08, 2011, 01:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Click on thumbnails to see larger versions:

Full necklace

Close-up of medallion.  For some reason I couldn't find a Saint Camber medallion anywhere, so I had to settle for St. Michael, my favorite kick-butt archangel.   :D

Reverse side of medallion, with a "guardian angel and child" image.

Large round beads are genuine amber, and the smaller oval beads appear to be amber colored glass.  I scavenged an amber "worry beads" bracelet to get the round amber beads and the oddly shaped bead right above the pendant.  The necklace is strung on silk cord made for stringing pearls and beads.  The clasp is a modern one, since I couldn't find any that looked suitably period to me , and I wasn't sure I had enough beads to make it long enough to simply slip over my head.  At least this style of clasp neatly conceals and protects the knots at both ends of the silk cord.  (And it's hidden under my hair anyway.)  I have enough of the smaller oval beads left over to make a matching bracelet, and I've got a Celtic Cross charm that might go on it when I get around to making it, but I'll have to find a suitable clasp for that first, since I've discovered that the stretchy clear elastic cord I bought for making bracelets won't hold a knot in it, even if you make a square knot exactly as pictured in the instructions and dab clear nail polish on it afterwards to secure it as the instructions suggest.  *sigh*
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

AnnieUK

Evie

So far, no, and it hasn't started glowing when I hold it either.  Though last night I was dreaming up an idea of hiding a small LED under an amber sphere to make it look like it's a psychically activated scrying crystal....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

derynifanatic64

We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Evie

ROFL!  Yes, I certainly wouldn't mind having a row of little Duncan images show up in my necklace shiral crystals, or better yet, a nice easily-viewable sized image of him in a large shiral scrying crystal.  Only I've priced those things, and if I'm to get a decent sized shiral sphere with decent resolution, HGTV and surround sound, that's going to cost me the Royal Mint!   ;D  Though really, it's not conjuring up an image of Duncan I have trouble with (even if it is only in my mind).  I just wish I could find some way of share my own mental images with other people, without having to resort to creating faces on Morphthing or finding people in Google Images who only look sorta-kinda-maybe a little bit like the people living in my mind.  Oh, for the power to mentally link and share thoughts and memories in real life instead of just fantasy!  *sigh*

--WARNING!!!--