• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 12:08:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 211
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 209
Total: 209
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Duncan McLain's Birthday Bash

Started by Evie, February 02, 2012, 10:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

I've just looked at my calendar and realized that it's Candlemas, aka my favorite Deryni bishop's birthday!  So, I think it's time for a virtual party....   :D

Little Duncan Michael MacArdry McLain skidded to a stop at the threshold of his grandfather's study.  "Papa Duncan, Papa Duncan, come quickly!" he gasped.  "His Majesty is calling for you, and he says it's very important!"

Duncan looked up from his book, startled.  He had just returned from officiating at the Candlemas service--a special favorite of his, not simply because the holy day marked the celebration of the Christ Child's presentation in the Temple, but also because the celebration happened to fall upon his own birthday.  He had shed his episcopal vestments in favor of a simple cassock afterwards, and had hoped to spend the next few hours reading the lovely volume of Gabrilite spiritual devotions that Fr John had recently acquired for the Royal Collection.  But of course, a King's summons was far more important, so Duncan locked the book away in his cabinet and followed his grandson across the parklands to see what matter was so urgent.

"Did the King happen to mention the reason for the emergency?" he asked Duncan Michael, but was answered only by a shrug and a wide-eyed "No, Papa Duncan, he just said to fetch you to the Lesser Hall and not to dawdle along the way.  Oh, and that it's very important!"  The lad grinned.

Duncan frowned, puzzled.  Whatever Kelson's news was, either it couldn't be very alarming, or the boy had no idea what was going on, judging from his sunny countenance.  They moved from the lower to the upper bailey, past the stables and skirting the entrance to Rhemuth's Great Hall.  That meant the matter likely had nothing to do with official Court business, he guessed. 

They reached the doors to the Lesser Hall.  A guard bowed to him in deference to his rank, a knowing twinkle in his eye, and opened the door to him.  "Bishop Duncan McLain!" he announced.  Another sign of the relative informality of this occasion, Duncan presumed, since there was no Court herald present to make the announcement.

Duncan entered the Hall,  blinking slightly as his eyes readjusted to the dimmer light within.  All around him, a chorus of voices called out, "Happy Birthday, Duncan!  Surprise!" 

So, who else has shown up, and what are they bringing?  Duchess Richenda and Sister Helena are already there, of course, since they are acting as hostesses for this event, using the Lesser Hall with the permission and quite willing coordination of Queen Araxie and Duchess Meraude. 
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

"Happy Birthday, Duncan!"  Thomas Cardiel, Archbishop of Rhemuth, held out a small package wrapped in linen and secured with a purple ribbon.

"Another gift?"  Duncan took the package from the older man and shook his head.  "How am I supposed to be a humble priest after receiving all of these gifts?"

"Well then, I guess I'll keep that flask of Old Ballymar for myself."  Alaric Morgan flashed is cousin a wicked grin.  "We wouldn't want you to be spoiled, now would we?"

"Let's not be hasty, now," Duncan replied quickly.  He placed the package on the table before him, carefully untied the ribbon, then  unfolded the cloth.  Inside was a very old book.  "It's a Book of Hours!  Wherever did you get this, Thomas?"

"I got it from the Bishop of Stavenham," Archbishop Cardiel replied. "He found it in an old trunk in one of the storage rooms in the cathedral.  It was damaged in a fire during the time of the old Regents.  I had the cover repaired and thought you might like to add it to your collection of old works.  There's an inscription on the back of the faceplate."

Bishop Duncan McLain carefully opened the book and turned the faceplate.  He studied the faded writing then read it aloud.

"To my dear Rose on your birthday.  May you always find comfort and guidance in these words."  Duncan looked up from the page. "It's signed 'Papa' and dated June 24, 918."  He turned several more pages, and smiled.  "A birthday present for a birthday present! Thank you, Thomas."
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

((LOL!  Hm...Stavenham...a birthday girl named Rose...a Book of Hours that has gone through a fire...why does all of that sound vaguely familiar?   ;)  Let's just hope Helena doesn't pick up that book during the birthday party, given her particular sensitivity towards lingering psychic resonances, or she might be in for a shock....   ;D ))

--WARNING!!!--

derynifanatic64

Looking forward to seeing the virtual pictures from the virtual party!!
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Evie

LOL!  Well, as it happens, I'm going to an SCA event this weekend, so maybe there's a chance I can manage to get some badly lit photographs of very blurry people in medieval garb, who are so unrecognizable that they can pass for Duncan, Alaric, Richenda, etc....   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

Pocket Duncan will be MOST upset if he does not appear at his own party!

Shiral

All the birthday guests bowed or curtsied as King Kelson and Queen Araxie entered the lesser hall, followed  by the young princesses, and Prince Javan, all shephereded in by a tall young man in McLain tartan, his identity clear through his bright red hair.

All pomp came to an informal close when the pipers struck up the music to the favored MacArdry Reel, "Aidan's Pride"  in the musician's gallery at the far end of the hall. 

Duncan's eyes flew to his son's, knowing the choice could not have been an accident.  But first there were a King and Queen to greet and both the princesses presented Duncan with nosegays of violets  tied with violet silk  ribbon.

"An' here's my gift, Father," Dhugal told him when they finally had a private moment.  "I meant to give it to you years ago. No one seemed to remember where it had gone, if they remembered it even existed. But I think my mother would want you to have this." He handed Duncan a small bundle wrapped in a very old linen handkerchief. Duncan opened it slowly, suspecting what might be inisde. ANd there indeed, Maryse Mac Ardry smiled gently up at him.

Happy Birthday Duncan. For a man in his ninth century, you look pretty darn good!

You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Quote from: Shiral on February 02, 2012, 08:53:35 PM
Happy Birthday Duncan. For a man in his ninth century, you look pretty darn good!

To quote my favorite Jedi Master, "When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not!"   ;D

"Aidan's Pride" sounds familiar.  Was that what was playing during Duncan's first dance with Maryse?

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Quote from: Alkari on February 02, 2012, 07:59:23 PM
Pocket Duncan will be MOST upset if he does not appear at his own party!

Tsk, tsk! I thought we'd finally agreed to the necessity of calling him LEGO Duncan, since it seems everyone in the chatroom except for sweet and innocent l'il ol' me has raunchy minds that give "Pocket Duncan" a whole different and completely unintended meaning?   :-[

:D

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on February 02, 2012, 10:07:07 PM
Quote from: Shiral on February 02, 2012, 08:53:35 PM

To quote my favorite Jedi Master, "When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not!"   ;D

"Aidan's Pride" sounds familiar.  Was that what was playing during Duncan's first dance with Maryse?

Yes, that's the song.  I dare say we all look a little  fusty by the time we reach that pesky ninth century.  ;D

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

kirienne (RIP)

Oh my, this is very fun! I have been so stressed with my job lately that I keep forgetting to search this site thoroughly for new stuff. I'm going to have to come her much more often I see. I'll have to slowly make my way thru other fun things I've missed.
Hugs to you all!!!

Evie

Kirienne!  *tackle hug*  Yes, you need to stop by (or at least de-lurk?) more often.  We're still posting stories and have even managed to coax a new fanfic writer or two out of the woodwork, and I've got a Duncan action figure project in the works as well in the OT section.

And Duncan saved you a piece of birthday cake, but given that his birthday was on February 2, it might be a bit stale by now....   :-\

--WARNING!!!--