• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,481
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 67
Total: 68

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Legacy - Part 1

Started by Alkari, February 02, 2012, 02:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: Alkari on February 03, 2012, 12:11:08 AM
QuoteI was just saying that poisoning something like a book would be a perfectly plausible,  not to mention diabolical, story twist,
ROFL - I leave all those wicked and diabolical story twists up to you, I'm afraid. 

Well, now that the Schola magistra in me has expounded on the topic of Death Caps, it might be almost anticlimactic for me to use those in a story, so I suppose it's back to the old drawing board for some other scheme that's wicked and diabolical....   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

AnnieUK

Quote from: Evie on February 02, 2012, 10:02:51 PM
...you might happen to touch your lips, rub your eyes...heaven help you if you're a nail biter....  

My laddie contemplates his bitten nails and is mightily glad no-one's likely to try to assassinate him!

Elkhound

Amantina muscarina was featured in both Dorothy L. Sayers' The Documents in the Case and an episode of Midsomer Murders.

AnnieUK

Rereading and speculating which clerics Alaric regards as 'tedious'. ;)

Alkari

Quote from: AnnieUK on February 05, 2012, 08:49:37 AM
Rereading and speculating which clerics Alaric regards as 'tedious'. ;)

*Grin*  Well, as this is 1110, we have the charming Oliver de Nore as the Archbishop of Valoret and Primate of All Gwynedd, and he has one Lawrence Gorony as his Chaplain.  And Edmund Loris is Bishop of Stavenham, busily engaged in persecuting Deryni.    I really can't imagine why Alaric would find either bishop to be at all 'tedious' ...   :D

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on February 05, 2012, 04:37:54 PM
*Grin*  Well, as this is 1110, we have the charming Oliver de Nore as the Archbishop of Valoret and Primate of All Gwynedd, and he has one Lawrence Gorony as his Chaplain.  And Edmund Loris is Bishop of Stavenham, busily engaged in persecuting Deryni.    I really can't imagine why Alaric would find either bishop to be at all 'tedious' ...   :D

I can come up with several other, better, adjectives; but I don't think the moderators will allow me to use them.

Alkari

Oh, Alaric is WAY ahead of you there, Elkhound, and he assures me that he has a very extensive vocabulary, in several languages!  (Torenthi has some particularly interesting terms)  :D    Especially as I am sure that there were certain 'tedious' objections when he was confirmed as Duke at age 14 in defiance of the Statutes of Ramos, and was then knighted at age 18 as usual.  

But alas, this is still a formal ducal court ...  

ETA:   Alaric adds that he and Duncan, and later on Brion, enjoyed the occasional game of 'creative Latin".   ;)

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on February 05, 2012, 05:41:46 PM
Oh, Alaric is WAY ahead of you there, Elkhound, and he assures me that he has a very extensive vocabulary, in several languages!

I'm sure he does; he's a soldier, after all.

Alkari

Quote from: Evie on February 02, 2012, 11:12:27 PM
I was just saying that poisoning something like a book would be a perfectly plausible,  not to mention diabolical, story twist, and a means of killing someone that wouldn't necessary be spotted by even the most vigilant guards right off. 

This idea has been nagging away at me for a few weeks - I *knew*  I'd remembered a poisoned book from somewhere, though not as a targeted murder weapon.  Then I remembered - Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose

LeDuc

Books............ ahhhhh yes, among my first 'friends' at age 5 when my Grandmother, the school teach taught me to read. I still have those first 3 books, too. THe relationship with a book can be a wonderful thing, held rightly, treated carefully, and treasure for life.

DoctorM

Quote from: Alkari on February 28, 2012, 05:06:30 PM
Quote from: Evie on February 02, 2012, 11:12:27 PM
I was just saying that poisoning something like a book would be a perfectly plausible,  not to mention diabolical, story twist, and a means of killing someone that wouldn't necessary be spotted by even the most vigilant guards right off. 

This idea has been nagging away at me for a few weeks - I *knew*  I'd remembered a poisoned book from somewhere, though not as a targeted murder weapon.  Then I remembered - Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose.

I love "Name of the Rose"... Lots of clever things there, including the poisoned book!