collapse

Welcome to the Worlds of Katherine Kurtz

Welcome to Rhemuth Castle!

KK Chat is at 7pm Eastern on Sundays, except on the first Sunday of the month, when it is at 5pm Eastern to accommodate fans in the UK and Europe.

Come join us in chat! And Happy reading!

Pin yourself on the member map.

Author Topic: In memory of Anne McCaffrey  (Read 3545 times)

Offline derynifanatic64

• Earl/Countess
  • Uncle Mark Rules!!
In memory of Anne McCaffrey
« on: November 23, 2011, 07:02:21 pm »
I just found out that Anne McCaffrey (of the Pern series) died 2 days ago of a massive stroke at her home in Ireland at the age of 85.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
  • Earl/Countess
Re: In memory of Anne McCaffrey
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »
Just heard the news myself. She has gone "Between."   :'(

Farewell, Annie. You'll be missed.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:18:06 pm »
I got my start as a fanfic author, and later as a 'zine editor, in one of the fannish Weyrs.

Requiescat in pace.  Clear skies, Dragonlady!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline tenworld

• Baron/Baroness
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:02:38 pm »
Anne has gone *between*.

I started both Pern and Deryni stories at the same time when a coworker loaned me the first book in each series in the early 80s.

Offline Elkhound

• Prince/Princess
  • Favorite Book: The King's Justice
  • Favorite Character: Denis Arilan
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 01:26:35 pm »
I'm sorry she's gone, but she had a good long life, and going deaf must have been torture for someone who loved music so much.

That being said, am I the only one who saw a falling-off in the quality of her later work?

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 02:15:04 pm »
I haven't read her later work, since I loved her Pern books up until Moreta and Nerilka's Story but I never really got caught up in the books that came out after that, and I wasn't as much of a fan of her other series.  But I've heard that her last few books were co-written by her son, and if that's truly the case, that might explain a change in their quality. 

--WARNING!!!--

Offline Elkhound

• Prince/Princess
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:53:14 pm »
Two things I noticed in the later works:

1. Early on she made a big thing about how 'timing it' is difficult and dangerous, to be attempted only by highly experienced dragon/rider pairs, and only when there was desperate need.  In the later books, 'timing it' was done quite, quite casually.

2. Early books depicted Pern as a society with fairly rigid gender-roles.  A woman practicing a Craft at the Master or even Journeywoman level was unusual and even shocking, and a Lady Holder in her own right was almost unknown.  Later works presented Pernese society as much more gender-egalitarian.  And no explanations.

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 12:26:08 am »
The only "later books" I read were Dragondawn and I think the one after that, but those were prequels to the earlier books, taking place several centuries before the books of the Lessa and F'lar era, or even the Pass a few centuries before that when Moreta was born.  As I vaguely recall, Pern was settled by colonists from another world and started out with a much more egalitarian society, but as they became isolated from the other star systems, later generations developed a much more rigid and hidebound society, in large part due to having found out the hard way what it would take to survive on Pern and those later generations taking an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude towards changing from the life they'd grown used to.  Or are you talking about some other books that came out after those?  If so, I haven't read that far forward (or should I say backwards, since the later books were prequels?) in the series.

As for timing it, it would make sense for the relative newcomers to Pern found in the later books to be more casual about the practice.  They were still at the learning and experimenting stage.  Many centuries later, there'd have been enough time passed and experience gained the hard way for seasoned dragonriders to be aware of the downsides of the practice.

(Of course, it's been almost two decades since I last read through the Pern books in my collection, so there are probably lots of details I've forgotten, although I'm still pretty certain about the overall chronology.  Dragonsdawn happened during, or maybe just before, the First Pass.  Moreta's Ride, IIRC, happened sometime around the Sixth Pass, and Lessa and F'lar were born just before the Ninth Pass.  Now given that a Pass lasts something like 50 years, and there's about 200 years between each Pass, that's what, over 2000 years between the settling of the planet in Dragonsdawn and the first-written books of the series which are set in Ninth Pass?  Society has had a LOT of time to regress, regroup, create new survival tactics, and grow set in its ways by the time Lessa and Menolly come along to shake things up a bit.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:43:19 am by Evie »

--WARNING!!!--

Offline Elkhound

• Prince/Princess
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 09:44:44 am »
The only "later books" I read were Dragondawn and I think the one after that, but those were prequels to the earlier books, taking place several centuries before the books of the Lessa and F'lar era, or even the Pass a few centuries before that when Moreta was born.  As I vaguely recall, Pern was settled by colonists from another world and started out with a much more egalitarian society, but as they became isolated from the other star systems, later generations developed a much more rigid and hidebound society, in large part due to having found out the hard way what it would take to survive on Pern and those later generations taking an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude towards changing from the life they'd grown used to.  Or are you talking about some other books that came out after those?  If so, I haven't read that far forward (or should I say backwards, since the later books were prequels?) in the series.

Yes.  For example, in the novel that was a 'biography' of Robinton, we learn that Shonagar's predicessor as chief voice teacher was a woman--which makes the 'alarm and despondancy' created by Mennolly's being a full member of the Craft a little contradictory, as there would have been people still alive who remembered the Songmistress. (Whose name escapes me right now.)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »
Yes.  For example, in the novel that was a 'biography' of Robinton, we learn that Shonagar's predicessor as chief voice teacher was a woman--which makes the 'alarm and despondancy' created by Mennolly's being a full member of the Craft a little contradictory, as there would have been people still alive who remembered the Songmistress. (Whose name escapes me right now.)

OK, yes, that definitely sounds like a continuity error.

I might have to go look up that book anyway; Robinton was one of my favorite characters.

--WARNING!!!--

Offline tenworld

• Baron/Baroness
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 03:55:40 pm »
I think Anne made a mistake when she kept going after the death of Robinton and the computer shutdown.  That was such a beautiful metaphoric ending.  Had the same reaction as the Scouring of the Shire.

I do wish though that she had written something about the end of the last pass, she onetime said that F'lar died threadfighting, but never told the story.

I have read all but the last two books.  They dont have the same impact, but they fill in some of the gaps.  Not as good as KK has done.
They have in common the effect from the story growing as the author does (thus the issue of why the CC didnt know about the Healers in Torenth and what happened to that magical spider creature vs. what heppened to Lessa's shapechanging ability)

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Laurna
[November 18, 2017, 07:56:16 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by MidnightBlue
[November 18, 2017, 07:19:43 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Jerusha
[November 18, 2017, 06:22:20 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Laurna
[November 18, 2017, 06:19:48 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Demercia
[November 18, 2017, 03:55:49 pm]

* Who's Online