• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:25:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 99
Total: 99

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Forgiveness - Chapter 6

Started by Alkari, November 21, 2011, 04:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkari

FORGIVENESS

"And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me." Matthew 18:5

Previous chapter:  http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=776.0

CHAPTER 6

Rhemuth castle, 12 August 1128

Meraude and I pause on re-entering the castle, letting our eyes adjust after the clear summer evening outside.  Four servants labour pass us with some travelling chests: the palace has been bustling all day as the hordes of visitors start to leave Rhemuth.  The Ramsays depart tomorrow, after a farewell dinner tonight, with Oksana no doubt eager to be mistress of a ducal court at Laas.  Brecon and Richelle will travel on to Kilarden and set up their own household.  Sivorn and Savile are staying in Rhemuth a little while longer, as two of the younger children will be joining other households – Sivney is to become a Royal page under Nigel's tutelage, whilst eleven year old Savilla will join Rory and Noellie as one of Noellie's new ladies in waiting.   I'll miss Sivorn: I'm glad her second marriage seems to be as happy as her first one.  

"At least things will be back to normal once most of the guests go home.  Hosting three weddings in just over a week was more work than any of us expected."  Meraude voices my thoughts as we start up the stairs towards the nursery.  She's carrying a stuffed fabric ball belonging to Eirian, which we've found in the garden.  

"Not that we're complaining about any of them, especially Kelson's," I laugh, "but yes, some peace and quiet will be nice.   How are you feeling – not too tired?"   I remember the early days of my own pregnancies, and hope Meraude is getting enough rest.

"Oh, I catch a nap here and there, and not very much morning sickness so far," she assures me.   "Did you know that Richenda's pregnant again too?  Hers will be due a month or so after mine."

"Yes, she told me.  I know they've taken Brendan to visit Marley."   How things have changed between us since that afternoon in the library!  Richenda had confided in me the day before the wedding, as we put final touches to some flower garlands for the bridal chamber, cheerfully adding that:  "Alaric says Kelson doesn't need watching eyes and advice from half of Gwynedd's nobility while he settles into married life, so we'll leave as soon as possible and hope others take the hint.  Meraude's kindly offered to look after Briony and Kelric, which makes it easier."    

Meraude nods.  "They'll only be away for a few weeks and it's a very long journey for young children.  So I suggested they should stay here with us.  Briony always has a lovely time with Eirian."      

"We might have to enlarge the Rhemuth nursery when Araxie has children.  I'm rather looking forward to having grandchildren."

"Well, I'm sure you can always borrow one or two in the meantime.  With five of them in here now, it gets noisy at bedtime," laughs Meraude as we approach the nursery.  

"Five?  Who's the other one?"

"Albin.  Rothana decided to leave him here while she goes back to St Kyriell's to pack and move back here to the Schola with some of the Servants."

"Ah. Meaning Nigel can get to know both his grandchildren."    We smile at each other, remembering all our careful scheming of the last few weeks.

"Kelric's glad to have another boy to play with.  They're getting along very well."  

Shrieks of laughter greet us as we open the door.  One nursemaid is wrestling a clean chemise over Conalline's head, though she is wriggling around, wanting to join in the games.   Another maid is tidying up and placing toys into a large basket.

"Mama!"  "Aunt Meraude!"  "Aunt Jehana!"   "Look at my daisy chain"  "Mama, Molly's head came off!"

Three little girls rush across to us, all chattering their news, with Eirian waving a battered-looking doll.   The two boys, both in nightshirts, wisely wait until the initial fuss dies down before coming to get kissed and hugged in turn.   Albin smiles shyly as he whispers "Aunt J'ana" and holds up a carved wooden horse for me to see.  Kelric holds back after greeting Meraude, familiar with her but not me, and seemingly unsure whether he should call me "aunt" too.  While the girls and Albin chatter away to Meraude, he stands there regarding me solemnly.  Once again I am struck by the resemblance to his father.  

"I'm Queen Jehana," I say, bending down to his level. Luckily I remember that Kelson is godfather to both Morgan children.  "I'm King Kelson's mother."

"Yes.  Uncle Kelson.  An' Aunt 'Raxie.   We throwed flowers for them."   His face suddenly breaks into a wide grin.  "I got a new dog."   A black stuffed animal is thrust forward for my approval.   It has floppy ears and a long tail, with carefully stitched brown eyes, black nose and a red tongue poking out to one side.

"He's very handsome.  What's his name?"

"Blackie.   Like Papa's dog."  A pause.  "He died."

An old hound put down after a useful life?  A family pet?   "Was he a very old dog?"  

"Yes.  Very old.  His nose got grey hair."  He studies me, obviously pleased that I've understood.  "We digged a big hole.  In the garden.  And put a proper stone."

"With his name on it?"  Is that what he means by a proper stone?  

"Yes."  An approving nod.  

"That was very nice of you then, to name yours Blackie."   I hope it's the right thing to say, though Kelric seems quite matter of fact about the death of his father's dog.   For some reason I was never very good at dealing with the deaths of Kelson's pets, a task which mostly fell to Brion.  And also, I recall wistfully, to Alaric Morgan.  

Kelric nods happily.  "He's in Heaven.  With the angels.  And Tiggy."   He considers the matter.  "And St Michael.  Papa likes St Michael."  

Do animals go to Heaven?  Which angel looks after them – Ariel?  Or is it Raphael?  And who was Tiggy?  Fortunately rescue is at hand.    "What on earth have you all been doing?" Meraude exclaims loudly as she spies the tangled covers on the large bed at one end of the room, which is shared by the three girls.  She beckons to the maid to help straighten things.

"We were making a cave," explains Briony.   "So Princess Molly and the others could hide from the dragon."

"A brave knight rescues them.  He fights the wicked dragon," adds Eirian.

"And he takes a special dragon tooth back to the King in the castle."

"RAAAAAAH!  I'm a dragon, I'm a dragon!   I'll eat you!  RAAH, RAAAAAH!"  Kelric abandons me and charges towards them, roaring and brandishing Blackie like a weapon.  The girls and Albin scatter, squealing.

"You're the knight, not a dragon!" cries Eirian, now safe in the middle of the bed and hugging Conalline.

"I'm a dragon.  A BIG dragon," insists Kelric.  "RAAAAAH!"   He lunges towards his sister but Meraude grabs him expertly before he can cause further havoc.

"Oh yes, you're certainly a very fierce dragon," she assures him.  "But it's bedtime now.  Dragons need to sleep if they're going to fight tomorrow.  Your cave is over there, Kelric.   You take Blackie off to bed now – he can guard the entrance."   She hugs Kelric and turns him firmly towards the other end of the room, giving him a gentle push in the direction of the smaller pallet ready for him and Albin.  I expect a protest, but he just grins at her and gives another final "RAAAH!" before wandering back to me.  Wide grey eyes regard me hopefully.  

"You know story?"  Pause.  "Please?"

Heavens!  It's a long time since I told bedtime stories to little boys.  Disconcertingly, the years drop away; for a brief instant the boy standing there has black hair, not silver blond, and it's Kelson looking up at me, always eager for a story.  How long ago that was ....

"What sort of story would a dragon like?"

"A proper story."   I have no chance to ask what he means by this, for the other children have heard that word.  

"Tell us a story, Aunt J'ana."  "A story, a story!"  "Please tell us a story."  

"Well ..."  

"Please, Aunt Jehana."  

I don't know any stories about dragons, but suddenly I remember a favourite from my own childhood, an old Bremagni folk tale.  Meraude looks at me inquiringly.

"Have you heard the story about the wicked prince and the mermaid?"  

Before I know it, I am sitting on the girls' bed, Albin settled comfortably on my knee and Kelric snuggled against my side.  Three little girls have been tucked into bed and are regarding me with wide, eager eyes.   Can I really be sitting here, with Alaric Morgan's daughter smiling at me and my arm around his son?

"Once upon a time, in a land that is far, far away ... "

Next chapter:  http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=812.0

Elkhound

I love how you are slowly turning Jehanna into a reasonable human being instead of the hysterical, self-hating, harridan she was in the earlier books.

Evie

LOL at the "very fierce dragon"!   :D  It's nice to see Jehana's warm, caring, maternal side finally coming to the fore again.  I'm sure she must have had one a long time ago, when Kelson was a little boy, but the bitterness and fear of her past few years consumed it along with the rest of her nicer attributes until she finally came around to accepting what she is.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

AnnieUK

Yeah, and who the heck *was* Tiggy?  Racks brains in case I've missed something...

Evie

Besides Princes William's and Harry's former nanny?   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Ah, like father like son - both astute, ferocious and charming in one handsome package.  :D I'm glad that Jehana is warming up to both Morgan children.  One small step at a time, although a significant one nonetheless.

And who was Tiggy?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Quote from: Jerusha on November 21, 2011, 09:55:22 AM
Ah, like father like son - both astute, ferocious and charming in one handsome package.  :D I'm glad that Jehana is warming up to both Morgan children.  One small step at a time, although a significant one nonetheless.

And who was Tiggy?

Did something happen to Briony's kitten Tiger?

Jerusha

I don't think Tiggy can be Briony's Tiger.  IIRC from St. Camber's Tiger, Meraude presented Briony with the kitten after Morgan, Richenda and Brendan had returned from the visit to Marley. 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

So it seems Alkari's next story is going to be called "The Tiggy Mystery."   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

Quote from: AnnieUK on November 21, 2011, 09:24:05 AM
Yeah, and who the heck *was* Tiggy?  Racks brains in case I've missed something...
LOL @ the great Tiggy mystery.  :D   No wonder poor Jehana was puzzled!

No, you haven't missed anything - Tiggy was just another favourite animal that had died and gone to heaven.  (Actually, he was a stable cat that used to come and smooch around when Kelric went down to ride his pony.)   In a three year old's mind, of course everyone knows who Tiggy was!!  Hence Kelric's thought process - Blackie's gone to heaven, where the angels are.  And that means he'll be with Tiggy too.   St Michael is a very special angel and he's Papa's favourite, so of course St Michael will look after Papa's dog.  Everything is perfectly organised and satisfactory!  

QuoteAh, like father like son - both astute, ferocious and charming in one handsome package ...  One small step at a time, although a significant one nonetheless.
Ah, those devilish Morgan men!   And yes, it was certainly a huge step for Jehana to acknowledge Kelric and have that conversation with him.  But at the back of her mind she's started to wonder whether she and Brion might have had more children, had she not been so pigheaded and had things been different between them, and she regrets missing out on so much over the years.   So when a little boy innocently comes up and is obviously interested in her, she takes that step - and is rewarded in ways she did not expect.

derynifanatic64

The kids have found a new friend in Jehana.  And now they're getting a bedtime story.  Everyone wins!!
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Shiral

I like seeing Jehana enjoy the children.  If Morgan saw her calmly telling a group of children than included his own a bedtime story, he'd have to rub his eyes and wonder if his vision was getting squirelly with advancing age!

I confess, I was hoping we'd see Kelson's wedding through Jehana's eyes, but no matter!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

Quote from: Shiral on November 22, 2011, 02:42:15 PM
If Morgan saw her calmly telling a group of children than included his own a bedtime story, he'd have to rub his eyes and wonder if his vision was getting squirelly with advancing age!

"My prince, security is breached.  We have an imposter in our midst.  She looks like your Lady Mother, but her behavior is so totally different from Her Dowager Majesty's that I fear that it is someone impersonating her."

Alkari

Quote from: Elkhound on November 22, 2011, 02:45:19 PM
Quote from: Shiral on November 22, 2011, 02:42:15 PM
If Morgan saw her calmly telling a group of children than included his own a bedtime story, he'd have to rub his eyes and wonder if his vision was getting squirelly with advancing age!

"My prince, security is breached.  We have an imposter in our midst.  She looks like your Lady Mother, but her behavior is so totally different from Her Dowager Majesty's that I fear that it is someone impersonating her."

ROFL, Elkhound!    But with little Albin staying at the Palace for a while, and being accepted into Nigel's family with Conalline/Amelia, Jehana somehow finds herself spending more time with Meraude and all the children these next few weeks ... ;)  

Somehow though, even in her worst anti-Deryni and anti-Morgan days, I don't see Jehana as being actually cruel to a young child, even the son of an 'enemy'.   She'd be cold and distant, but I can't see her yelling "Get away from me, you Devil spawn!" or whatever.  Even Jehana would understand that little Kelric, and also Briony, were too young to understand about "being Deryni".