• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 67
Total: 67
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Adept Abilities & Magic

Started by MidnightBlue, October 30, 2017, 02:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidnightBlue

Thank you for the welcome, Laurna.  I highly recommend The Adept series when, like all of us, you can make the time.

And computer woes...ugh.  Had a hard drive crash on me a year ago.  Loading all of the software again and downloading my off-site backup is such a time-drain.

I don't envy you, but good luck!

MidnightBlue

And this prompted me to finally go check the stacks and see if I have The Adept series books on hand or if my Dad still had them.  Turns out they are safe and sound on my bookcase.  Bonus - I also have "Knights of the Blood", "Knights of the Blood: At Sword's Point", and "St. Patrick's Gargoyle"...none of which I've read yet, but grabbed from my Dad as he needed to liquidate his book collection (moved to an apartment from a large house).

The Adept series is a joint collection.  He bought the first couple and then I bought the rest.  But I got even...I bought him the first of the Robotech series for a Father's Day present and then he bought the other 18...so I came out on the winning side of that purchase.

Anyway...among the long list of things I want to read...and little casual reading time these days, a re-read of The Adept series is back on the list along with some first reads of a few other KK novels I acquired.

Happy days!

:)

DesertRose

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: MidnightBlue on November 02, 2017, 08:31:21 AM
  Bonus - I also have "Knights of the Blood", "Knights of the Blood: At Sword's Point", and "St. Patrick's Gargoyle"...none of which I've read yet, but grabbed from my Dad as he needed to liquidate his book collection (moved to an apartment from a large house).

I have those three.  The Knights of the Blood books are good, but just be forewarned that the second book ends clearly in need of a sequel to tie up loose ends. Unfortunately that sequel was never written. But having been forewarned, if not knowing how the entire story ends won't drive you utterly mad, then read on.  :D

St. Patrick's Gargoyle is a stand-alone. It's quite different from the other books, but I found it charming.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

Another welcome from over the pond. This is a lovely generous spirited forum which I am so happy to have found 5 years ago. It's good to have anorhwr member.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

MidnightBlue

Quote from: revanne on November 03, 2017, 04:53:26 PM
Another welcome from over the pond. This is a lovely generous spirited forum which I am so happy to have found 5 years ago. It's good to have anorhwr member.

Thanks!

:)

Bynw

Here is my 2 cents:

For me it's been a while since I read the Adept. So I would have to re-read it to get what the various magical powers are for Adam and his friends.

As a diehard gamer, there is no current licensing for the Adept.

Please do read the Deryni series and other works of KK. And yes Lammas Night is basically a prequel to the Adept.

And the chat is always open actually. Never know if anyone else will stop by so feel free to come in even when KK is not there. She's stopped in a few times on odd days and times over the years.

Oh and Evie, I have both of those books. And my 1st Edition Hardback Codex is not for sale :)

Welcome to the group MidnightBlue!

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

MidnightBlue