• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 27, 2024, 12:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,473
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 10
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Reading order - does it matter?

Started by AnnieUK, September 29, 2007, 06:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieUK

Well after you lot raving over them, I have ordered some Adept books from the US (we absolutely can't get them over here :( ).  I have sourced 1, 2 and 4, so my question is can I go from 2 to 4 and know what is going on (are they standalone stories?) or do I need to find 3 sharpish?

They will be coming surface mail, so hopefully I'll have them to read on my week off at Christmas.

Shiral

I found Adept 3 to be the weakest of the series, but that is my personal opinion. I think you can go from 2 to 4 without too much difficulty, as there are references to the important bits of Adept 3 in Adept 4 that should keep you from getting too lost. 

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Tibi

Hi Annie,

personally I would find it a pitty to leave #3 out, because there is progress in the development of the characters. However, you can understand and read #4 without #3.

Have fun,

Tibi

derynifanatic64

It doesn't matter, but I personally would read the books in numerical order to avoid missing any important detail.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

AnnieUK

Well I cracked and bought 3, and am now part way through 4, so need to track down 5 sharpish! 

I am quite enjoying these - they are slow burners and then go hell for leather last 50 pages or so.  I am also fascinated with the overlap of Deryni and Adept powers, and am gradually regarding Adepts as modern day Deryni, which gives me a nice cosy feeling about the whole thing.

And as a Brit, I am enjoying playing my game of "one thing per book that betrays it is set in the UK but was written by Americans" LOL.  Haven't found my "one thing" in book 4 yet, but it is holding true up to book 3 at least! ;)

the Bee

Please! Satisfy my curiosity: What is the "one thing per book that betrays it is set in the UK but was written by Americans" in books 1, 2 & 3? And #4 if you've found it by now.

AnnieUK

Sorry the Bee, not been on here for a while, so only just seen your post.

I can remember 2 of the 3, but the third will have to wait till my rereads.

One was talking about a sidewalk.  Over here it is a pavement.

The other was (I think) talking about either the emergency brake or the parking brake on a car.  Here it is the hand brake.

Just very little things, but raised a smile and an "aha!" from me. :)

Imladris

Annie,
What I find at least a wee bit humourous is...
I tried to get the Adept series in Hardcover, and
had to get the Lodge of the Lynx (book 2) from the UK!

Imladris

DesertRose

Quote from: AnnieUK on April 18, 2008, 07:50:24 AM
Sorry the Bee, not been on here for a while, so only just seen your post.

I can remember 2 of the 3, but the third will have to wait till my rereads.

One was talking about a sidewalk.  Over here it is a pavement.

The other was (I think) talking about either the emergency brake or the parking brake on a car.  Here it is the hand brake.

Just very little things, but raised a smile and an "aha!" from me. :)
I'm an American but fairly conversant in UK English usage, and I noticed in Dagger Magic that Adam referred to Claire Crawford as wearing a sweater, whereas in the UK I believe that garment is called a jumper.  There was something else in DM that betrayed the American authorship, but I can't remember off the top of my head what it was.

I missed the sidewalk/pavement thing in the books although I knew about the difference between US and UK usage.

I completely missed the parking brake/hand brake thing.  I would never have known that one.

What makes me curious about the parking brake/hand brake thing is that in some cars in the US, the emergency brake is off to the side of the driver's floorboards and is actually operated with your foot, not your hand like the ones that are (generally) located between the driver's and front passenger's seats.  Do they sell cars like that in the UK?  Annie?
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)