• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:09:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 238
Total: 239

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Arrangement, Part One

Started by Evie, December 07, 2010, 09:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

You are so welcome to write that and find out. ;D  I just know that if I ever write a Deryni story set that far in the future, it would be about commoners just so I won't have to work out which nobles and royals married into each other's families to create what alliances and enmities and intrigues going on 3-5 centuries after Kelson's time. I'm exhausted just thinking about it!  No, I'd probably just write a short story about some Deryni playwright named Bill Quiverlance or something.... :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Alkari

QuoteNo, I'd probably just write a short story about some Deryni playwright named Bill Quiverlance or something....
With a Bremagni rival whom some said actually wrote the plays - Francois Leporc?   :P

DesertRose

Quote from: Elkhound on December 08, 2010, 08:34:24 PM
What happens when the Renaissance and Reformation hit Gwynned and associated countries?  Or the Enlightenment? 

Ooh, Renaissance Gwynedd.  That sounds like fun to me.  I'm not as well versed in the history around the Enlightenment but I might be able to gin up something about the Renaissance and/or the Reformation.

Let me and Festil get 1366 done first, though. :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: Alkari on December 08, 2010, 09:28:18 PM
QuoteNo, I'd probably just write a short story about some Deryni playwright named Bill Quiverlance or something....
With a Bremagni rival whom some said actually wrote the plays - Francois Leporc?   :P

ROFL!  No, on second thought, you write that one!   :D

You know me; I'm far too anal to write a story that far out in the future without a Codex 3 to tell me all the stuff that happens between Kelson's time and that one.  I mean, I'm currently writing just five years beyond KKB, and already--despite knowing the Kelson era histories and (obviously) my own created characters quite well--I still find myself getting bogged down at times spending a couple of hours researching the nuances of medieval funerary rites specific to children (and digging up the Latin texts!) just to get a few little details correct in a scene of "A Time to Heal" that maybe takes 30 seconds to read, or the Sacrament of Extreme Unction and figuring out how much of that would and wouldn't be done if the patient was already unconscious, or figuring out what date Easter fell on in 1133 and having to convert the date from Gregorian to Julian calendars....ARGH!!!!  And that's not counting days here and there of researching loopholes to betrothal vows and that whole entrancing evening of researching precursors to Magna Carta just because you and Elkhound were going on about Absolute Monarchies and whether or not Kings still had checks and balances on their powers in comments one night, which got me intrigued enough to make me want to read the Magna Carta in its entirety and then look up several other related documents from other times when Kings tried to run roughshod over bishops and barons and got their hands slapped, and I went off on some wild goose chase rather than just sitting and writing the freaking story that nothing even REMOTELY resembling the Magna Carta was even going to end up figuring in!!!    :D

And today, I spent most of my free moments creating a timeline for Arilans, because I can't even write my next story idea until I know for sure what things happened/will happen when.   :D

I am freaking insane, I know.  But that's why I'll stick to Kelson-era Gwynedd.  I'd go blind from the research if I had to extrapolate an entire Reformation from scratch!   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!