• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:39:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 153
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 150
Total: 150
Google (5)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Questions...questions

Started by revanne, April 24, 2014, 03:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Trying to get inside Joram's head, in order to get him out of mine is raising so many questions (tears hair >:()

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the Michelines change their name to the Knights of the Anvil ?

Is it mentioned anywhere what religious allegiance Azim has - culturally in our world his name would suggest he is Muslim, but I'm not sure that applies to KK's

Do we know how the Haldane potential is enabled between Kings Owain and Brion? Or does it go into abeyance...

I foolishly introduced my sister to KK - she now informs me that she expects me to have written two chapters during my holiday in May!!

But at least I have bought a large pad of lined paper and a pack of biros in several colours. I'm too old to be able to compose anything without a pen in my hand.

I'm supposed to be preparing for our church AGM on Sunday.....
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

LOL!  Nice to hear that Joram is driving you crazy....   ;D

Quote from: revanne on April 24, 2014, 03:07:31 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the Michelines change their name to the Knights of the Anvil ?

Just some guesses, but my gut guess says that if an organization was in danger of being exterminated by people who are rabidly against it, then it would be much easier for that organization to continue to exist if it goes underground, and that's pretty much impossible unless there's a name change.  As to why they might choose "Knights of the Anvil," then that may have something to do with their new location ("the Anvil of the Lord"), if it already had that name prior to the Michaelines' arrival, and/or it could also have to do with a sense of the order being tempered by fire and heavy "pounding," so to speak.  In other words, the extreme persecution was shaping their order and making them stronger in a similar way to how a sword is shaped and tempered on an anvil. 

Is it mentioned anywhere what religious allegiance Azim has - culturally in our world his name would suggest he is Muslim, but I'm not sure that applies to KK's

Just like in our world, an Arabic name doesn't always indicate Muslim belief (there are Christians in Palestine, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, and virtually every other part of the Middle East, just as there are probably closet believers in the Jewish faith in some of those areas despite national hostilities towards the nation of Israel).  I often tend to read Azim as Muslim (or a "Moor," as they are referred to in the books) because of his name, but given that he is related to Richenda and Rothana, who are of Christian faith (more orthodox flavored, I gather, being Eastern influenced), he could well be Christian, now that I stop to consider.

Do we know how the Haldane potential is enabled between Kings Owain and Brion? Or does it go into abeyance...

We know that Donal knew it had to be enabled in Brion, that Donal used the Haldane potential himself, and that Donal also wore the Eye of Rom, so I think it's at least implied that the Haldane potential never went inactive between Owain's reign and Donal's, though given the very strong anti-Deryni sentiments at the time, it might have been very well concealed.  The power was quite likely explained away as being connected to the divine right of kings, to distance it from magic.

QuoteI foolishly introduced my sister to KK - she now informs me that she expects me to have written two chapters during my holiday in May!!

Sounds good to me!  You weren't planning on actually resting during your holiday, were you?   ;)

QuoteBut at least I have bought a large pad of lined paper and a pack of biros in several colours. I'm too old to be able to compose anything without a pen in my hand.

Whatever works best for you.  I can't write in longhand to save my life (and when I try, I can't read my own writing later), but I know many people who work best by always keeping a pen and a small notebook somewhere on hand.  Those graph paper notebooks are also helpful for some; not only do you have lines going either way on the page, but you can also use them for mapping, or any other drawing where some sense of scale is helpful.

I'm supposed to be preparing for our church AGM on Sunday.....

Life is what happens in those moments when you're not writing stories, yes?   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

QuoteDo we know how the Haldane potential is enabled between Kings Owain and Brion? Or does it go into abeyance...
During In the Kings Service, we know Donal has the Haldane powers. Which surprises the Cambarian Council. Up until that time, we must believe it was the council who controlled how and if a Haldane King got his power assumption. They speculate Jessamy, Sief's wife, had something to do with Donal's power. To brake away from the control of the Council, Donal begets a Deryni bastard who will be loyal to his son, Brion. Sadly this fails, so Donal turns to Alyce's half Deryni son. This is why the council is so peeved that Donal gives young Alaric the keys to his son's assumption thereby bypassing their control. If the Camberian Council withheld the ritual from other Haldane Kings between Owain and Malcolm, we have yet to learn of it.

As for Azim, I know not. However, he is Richenda's uncle (sorry, I'll correct that to magical instructor and family friend) and she was raised in Gwynedd's traditions. Though I recall a ceremony where she brings her eastern influence to the ritual.

Write, write, write, what ever comes to mind. Thumb through it later when you have time.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Shiral

Hi Revanne,
Joram's a persistent guy, isn't he?  =o)
Re: Michaelines becoming Anvillers.  If memory serves, the predecessors of the Michaelines were based at Djellarda, and  they helped King Bearand Haldane (I think) rid the Southern Sea of pirates about a century before the Deryni Interregnum.  In gratitude for their service, they were granted land and permission to form a religious Order in Gwynedd—Ta-Da The Michaelines are established. After 917 when they were expelled from Gwynedd, it would have been a natural thing for them to return to Djellarda. In the intervening years as the older "Anglo Saxon" knights from their years in Gwynedd died off,  and with new members being recruited from the Forcinn, R'Kassi etc, the Michaelines/Anvillers may have been the spiritual heirs of the Michaelines, but the Order itself was quite different in its makeup.  Kelson describes them as "Not entirely Christian" so it's possible there are members of the Anvillers who have not yet completely committed to Christianity, if they were raised in a different Faith.  Since both Christianity and Islam are monotheistic, and both have decided guidelines for their followers in terms of honor, integrity and how to behave toward your fellow human beings, there is a certain degree of overlap between the two faiths. Enough to make it possible that the Anvillers can co-exist with mutual respect.
   Remember that Azim is Rothana's uncle, and she is most definitely raised a Christian, so he probably was raised in a Christian family, as well. I'm pretty sure that he's conversant enough with Islam that he could pass as a Muslim if he needed to.  And perhaps doesn't entirely disagree with the tenets of Islam, insofar as it overlaps with his own faith as he practices it.
Re the Haldane Potential. We don't really have details about what happened from ritual to ritual between Owain and Brion. But I'm betting that Rhysem was not the last king between himself and Kelson to pierce his hand with the Haldane brooch pin.  Rhysel and Jerusha Thuryn both married humans and are able to live as secret Deryni at Court, known only to a very few, completely trusted people.  Those would have been some of the most dangerous years to live as a Deryni in Gwynedd. So I don't think the ritual ever goes into abeyance. Later Kings may not have had all the help and high ritual magic that Cinhil and his sons did, but each of them acquired the powers somehow.
Write, woman, write!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

revanne

Thanks folks - really helpful.

Have a couple of threads beginning to form ;)

Having re-watched "The Mission" over Easter I have realised that in my head Joram is Father Gabriel; I can't get him to have fair hair at all.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on April 24, 2014, 04:37:15 PM
Having re-watched "The Mission" over Easter I have realised that in my head Joram is Father Gabriel; I can't get him to have fair hair at all.

LOL!  IIRC, Annie has a similar problem with Alaric.  She read the books multiple times before it ever dawned on her that he's a blond....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on April 24, 2014, 04:40:10 PM

LOL!  IIRC, Annie has a similar problem with Alaric.  She read the books multiple times before it ever dawned on her that he's a blond....   ;D

Evie, this reminds me of you telling me that Nathan Fillion is your headcanon for Father Jamie in my story, LOL.  I suppose if you put Nathan Fillion in a blond wig, which he could probably pull off (as long as it isn't super light blond, which is not my idea of what Jamie looks like), it could work.  :P

I HAVE been nagging the life out of Festil to write something and for crying out loud to put it in the Google document, to no avail as yet, but hope springs eternal...

Also reminds me of a recent post-KK-chat discussion in which I was disabused of my mistaken notion that Caitrin was tall.  Apparently she's described as short in the books, and I just completely missed it, LOL.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on April 24, 2014, 04:58:11 PM

Evie, this reminds me of you telling me that Nathan Fillion is your headcanon for Father Jamie in my story, LOL.  I suppose if you put Nathan Fillion in a blond wig, which he could probably pull off (as long as it isn't super light blond, which is not my idea of what Jamie looks like), it could work.  :P

LOL!  Well, no, I normally don't imagine Father Jamie that way, there was just that one sentence that made me think he was channeling Malcolm Reynolds.   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

LOL. For a while I pictured Alaric with a moustache, a la Carey Elwes from the Princess Bride, but not the same face. Maybe it was the Man in Black thing.

I know, I know...Inconceivable;D
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on April 24, 2014, 05:15:22 PM
Quote from: DesertRose on April 24, 2014, 04:58:11 PM

LOL!  Well, no, I normally don't imagine Father Jamie that way, there was just that one sentence that made me think he was channeling Malcolm Reynolds.   :D

He was, after a fashion, aiming to misbehave in that scene, so I can see it.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)