• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 06:37:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 254
Total: 254

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

A Gryphon by the Tail Chapter 25

Started by Alkari, October 25, 2010, 06:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkari

Previous chapter: http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=588.msg2951#msg2951.

Chapter 25

"Oh Meraude, thank you so much."  Richenda examined the three tunics that Meraude's maid had spread out on the table.  

"I thought you could use these.   Payne has grown out of them, but they should fit Brendan. The fabric's still good."

Richenda laughed. "He'll need them!  You should have seen the state he was in last night.  Fell into what he called 'mud' but it smelled more like the middens.  These will be a great help – I'll just take up the hems.  I thought I'd be spending this morning cutting out a new tunic from some of the fabric we bought yesterday, but now that can wait until we get back to Marley."

"You can sew stuff for yourself instead," chuckled Meraude. "Maire and Kathryn and I thought we should start on a few things for you, so are you coming to the solar today?"

"Yes, I'll be down later.  I talked to Brendan last night, and told him about Alaric and me, so it may be all round the castle by now.   Or at least the schoolroom."

Meraude chuckled.  "Children either say nothing at all, or let the whole world know.  How did he take it?"

"Very well.  He likes Alaric, and seems quite comfortable with the idea of a stepfather.  Especially as he'd suggested that Alaric would be 'a nice man' for me to marry!"   The two women laughed: Richenda departed for her apartments, Meraude's maid following her with the bundle of tunics.

Meraude and Maire welcomed Richenda cheerfully when she arrived in the solar.  It was snowing lightly, requiring several lamps to supplement the greyish light that came though the thick windows.  The ladies were seated near the fireplace for additional light as much as its warmth: a number were sewing, but others including Kathryn had gathered around a cardounet board.   Brielle and Meaghan were playing against Lady Maire; judging from the comments, Meaghan had never played before and was being introduced to the game's intricacies.

"Lady Richenda, do you play too?" asked Brielle eagerly as Richenda paused to look at the board.

"A little," smiled Richenda deprecatingly, studying the pieces.  "You two seem to be managing."

"She's doing more than that," sighed Maire.  "I sometimes play with my husband, but he usually gets all military and despairs at some of my moves.  Says I have no sense of strategy. I tell him of course that he's the soldier and I'm not."

Richenda laughed, remembering her games with Bran, who was extremely competitive and hated it when she beat him.  It wasn't womanly, he'd complained crossly one evening, after which she had modified her approach and allowed him to win most of the time.   Denis Arilan was made of sterner stuff however, and they'd both relished their occasional evening matches in Dhassa last spring.  

Richenda opened her sewing basket and took out one of the tunics Meraude had given her.  A serviceable reddish brown, it would fit Brendan perfectly if she shortened it a few inches.  She examined the hem: yes, she could just turn it up and re-stitch it.  No doubt she'd be letting it back down again before too long.  She threaded her needle and cocked an ear to the fireside conversation.

"... but the jeweller said it was only a piece of red glass, and not a ruby or even a garnet!" Lady Fenella Barslowe was saying indignantly, describing some woman's misfortune.  

"Well, I'm not surprised she tried to sell it.  It's said he left many debts, and he'd spent most of his money on that mistress of his.  A cheap little thing somewhere in the country, they say."  Lyndall Paige's tone shared the outrage.

"Not so cheap if she got his money out of him!" snorted Fenella.  "And he didn't leave her with child, either."

The gossip proceeded with many a giggle and suggestively arched eyebrow; Richenda stitched and listened in silence, keeping an occasional eye on the cardounet players. It was always amusing to hear how many supposed 'secrets' of personal life were made known at courts, and she was surprised that nothing was being said about her own situation. Of course, they could be doing that behind my back, she thought, though Meraude would surely have mentioned anything major.  She was happy to let the conversation flow, saying little beyond what was politely required and storing away her own observations about the various women.

The cardounet game finished and the board was temporarily set aside; chairs were rearranged as the players joined the others, and Meraude sent a servant for refreshments.  Elvira, Brielle and Meaghan were teasing each other about some of the young men at court; Meaghan still had her eye on Sir Edwin Norbury, though she was happy to assess other likely suitors.  

"... still think he's handsome," Meaghan was saying.

"But he's a priest!" exclaimed Elvira, sounding shocked, and Richenda realised with a start that they were talking about Duncan McLain.

"Well, he's Duke Duncan McLain now," said Muriel Reynolds, a thin-faced lady in her early thirties, married to Gwynedd's deputy chancellor.   "And Earl of Kierney.  He's got no other brothers - or even a sister.   I wonder if he'll remain a priest, now that the succession depends on him?"

The suggestion produced a quick flurry of speculation: what would happen to the duchy if Duncan McLain remained in the Church?  Who was his nearest kinsman?

"I feel very sorry for Monsignor McLain," said Lady Ismay Sinclair softly. "Duke Jared's widow, Duchess Margaret, is my husband's distant relative by marriage – she's apparently still in deep mourning.  Her stepson died in the spring, you know - Earl Kevin McLain.  Just before he was to get married."

"Wasn't he supposed to marry Alaric Morgan's sister?  A Deryni like him?" asked Fenella, her tone indicating that this merely added spice to the tragedy.  

"I believe so," replied Ismay.  "She died too.  It was a terrible accident, I heard."

Richenda kept her eyes down, desperately hoping the conversation would turn to other matters.  Brion, Kevin, Bronwyn and Jared – she'd shared something of the grief felt by both Alaric and Duncan, and knew it would a very long time before those wounds healed.  And with Bran's treachery having been the cause of Jared's death ...

"Isn't Duke Alaric supposed to be Duke Duncan's distant cousin?  Maybe he will inherit Cassan and Kierney too!"   Lyndall sounded as though she was assessing the possibilities of such an enormous source of wealth and power.

"As Duke Duncan McLain is in excellent health, and has shown no sign of abandoning the Church, I think this speculation is rather pointless," said Meraude firmly, and Richenda flashed her a grateful look.  "I am sure that he and His Majesty will make appropriate arrangements for Cassan's future."

The implied rebuke caused a momentary lull in the conversation, and the arrival of servants with refreshments diverted the ladies' attention.  Light sweet wine was poured, and trays of little pastries and sweetmeats were offered.  

"What a beautiful brooch, Lady Richenda," exclaimed Fenella, as Richenda leant forward to accept a pastry. "That's certainly not a fake stone!  I've never seen a piece of lapis like that."

Richenda smiled and touched the brooch.  She'd almost forgotten she was wearing it, having put it on that morning because it looked so pretty on her blue gown.  The gown I was wearing on the day Alaric proposed! she realised.   "Thank you.  Yes, it is lovely – I'm very fond of it."    

Muriel eyed the brooch with interest.  "Beautiful workmanship, but in an older style.  Is it a family heirloom?"  

"Yes, it is."   Richenda caught Meraude's eye: a slight twitch to the duchess's mouth showed mischievous delight in the direction of the conversation.

"Your own, or your late husband's family?" inquired Lyndall.  

Richenda sipped her wine delicately.  "Neither."   There was a short silence at that answer. An heirloom not from her husband's family or her own? She could almost see their minds working.

"Then – was it a gift?"   Lyndall's eyes were wide at the prospect of something scandalous.  

"Yes.  The brooch and matching earrings belonged to the Duchess Grania de Corwyn.  Duke Alaric thought I would like them."   Richenda finished her wine, and placed the goblet on the little table next to her.  

"Duke Alaric?  You mean – Alaric Morgan?" breathed Muriel.

"Yes.  They are his betrothal present."  

It was probably only Meraude's thick carpet that prevented several jaws from breaking, thought Richenda, managing to remain composed.

"YOU are betrothed to Duke Alaric Morgan?  When did that happen?"   Lyndall's face went pale, then flushed angrily.

"His Majesty approved our betrothal some days ago now. Before Bishop de Lacey died."  

"And you haven't said anything?"  The idea that one would choose not to disclose any betrothal, let alone to Corwyn's Duke, was obviously beyond comprehension.

"His Majesty kindly agreed to my request that we notify my father and brothers before the matter was made public.  I believe he wrote to my father himself, as did Duke Alaric of course."

Fenella stared at her.  ""His Majesty approved your betrothal?  Surely you mean, he arranged it?"

"I am not privy to discussions between His Majesty and Duke Alaric," replied Richenda mildly.   "Duke Alaric graciously asked me to marry him, and I accepted.   As you know, my son and I have been under His Majesty's personal protection since last summer, and any arrangements affecting my future or Marley required the Council's consent.  I was asked to assure both His Majesty and the Council that I was happy with this marriage, which of course I did."

"And so you were just - betrothed?  To the Duke of Corwyn.  With no announcement."   Lyndall sounded as though this omission was a matter of personal affront.

"His Majesty and Duke Alaric did not think it necessary to make a formal announcement.   The matter is a personal one, after all, and the banns will be posted in Marley on my return there next week."

"But – you are marrying a Deryni!" whispered Muriel in horror.   "How can you agree to marry him?   The Church - what does the Church say about that?"

"I have no problems with it.  Nor do Gwynedd's two new Archbishops, who are both Council members and were at the meeting.  I believe they view Duke Alaric as a man of honour and integrity, who has loyally served his King.  As do I.  Would you suggest I should have refused the Duke's offer?"  

"Of course you wouldn't refuse!  You certainly flaunted yourself at him enough!"  hissed Lyndall.

"Flaunted myself?"  Richenda sighed.  "Lady Lyndall, I hardly think I have done that.  Besides, as far as I am aware, women of all ages have been chasing Duke Alaric and flaunting themselves at him for many years, without success.   I suspect the Duke is immune to such obvious behaviour."

"Well, I think it's wonderful news," said Meraude cheerfully, "and I'm sure we all congratulate Richenda on her good fortune and wish her every happiness with Duke Alaric.  I certainly cannot fault the choice of a new husband for her.   And I'm sure Duke Alaric will have no complaints about his choice of wife, either."

"From the widow of a traitor to the Duchess of Corwyn.  Hardly a difficult choice for her, I would say.  Or any sort of hardship to endure," said Fenella cuttingly.

"Richenda is not responsible for her late husband's actions," Maire reproved her, entering the conversation for the first time.  "What sort of hardship would you wish on her?"

"You are really going to be the Duchess of Corwyn?" said Brielle, having been following the conversation in wide-eyed amazement.  "But that's – that's wonderful!  Oh, you are so lucky.  To marry a rich Duke!  And he's so very handsome.   May I – may I see your ring, please?"   She blushed.

Richenda smiled at the girl and held out her hand, aware that other pairs of eyes were studying the ring avidly.  "Thank you, Brielle.  It's a beautiful ring, isn't it?   I feel very honoured and a little overwhelmed at my good fortune."  

"Overwhelmed?  Then I do hope you won't find carrying out your marital duties with the Duke too – onerous," murmured Lyndall suggestively. "After all, the King's Champion is supposed to be quite a swordsman I believe?"   There were one or two titters.  

"I'm afraid I must leave that to your imagination," replied Richenda coolly.  "I have no intention of discussing such matters with you or anybody else."

"Are you going to have a big wedding?" asked Meaghan, glancing at Brielle.  "Will it be here in Rhemuth?  Or in Corwyn?"

"No, Meaghan, we will just have a small ceremony in Marley.  Duke Alaric has suggested we would both appreciate a quiet wedding."

"But you are going to have lots of new gowns, aren't you?"  Brielle asked, disappointed.  "Oh, you will look so beautiful.  I do wish you could be married here!  Then we could all see you."

Meraude laughed.  "Well, Richenda will certainly need a few new gowns and other things.  She and I went shopping yesterday for some fabrics, but perhaps you and Meaghan would like to come with us tomorrow?  I'm sure we could do with your help in sewing some things before she leaves next week."

"Oh yes, please!  May we come with you, Lady Richenda?"  

"Oh please?   And I'd love to help you with your sewing."   Planning a future duchess's wedding finery was obviously a glorious prospect for Meaghan and Brielle.

"Of course.  I'll enjoy your company," said Richenda. "Maire, are you coming too?  What about you, Kathryn?"

Maire laughed. "If they see all of us arriving, I'm not sure whether some of the shopkeepers won't run away in terror."

"They'd better not!" exclaimed Meaghan indignantly.  "I hope they'll have all their best fabrics and ribbons for us to look at."

"Well, let's see what the weather brings," said Richenda, smiling at the girls' youthful enthusiasm.  "If we're knee deep in snow, I don't think any of us will be going too far outside at all."

Next chapter:  http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=598.0.

AnnieUK

LOL, so who is Lyndall going to try to sink her claws into now?  Or is she just going to take herself off to polish her whiskers for a while? ;)

Alkari

I think she has retreated to polish her whiskers.  As with any cat that is confused and embarrassed, she is now going to do the only thing possible - sit down and wash herself thoroughly, several times.  And pretend she does not care about the world.   (Maybe she will get a nasty fur-ball?!) 

Elkhound

A cat?  I was thinking another species entirely.

I hope something truly unpleasant happens to both her and Finella.

Evie

When I'm pouring that bowl of milk for Lyndall, I'll leave enough over for Fenella as well.

And oddly enough, I'd been thinking recently that there would have been a lot of speculation about Duncan leaving the priesthood after Jared's death and before he discovered Dhugal was his son, especially among the ladies. He probably had to deal with a few would-be Duchesses hoping to entice him out of holy orders, poor man!  Finding out he had a son must have been as much a relief as a surprise for him, and a great shock and disappointment for some hopeful ladies...possibly Lyndall and Fenella among them? :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on October 25, 2010, 11:57:50 AMFinding out he had a son must have been as much a relief as a surprise for him, and a great shock and disappointment for some hopeful ladies...possibly Lyndall and Fenella among them? :D

The younger ones--and perhaps some of the not-so-young ones--probably decided that if they couldn't have the dog, they'd go for the pup and started chasing Dhugal instead.

Evie

Ah yes.  Just as soon as the lad got used to the idea of being an Earl, he'd have had to cope with being a Duke as well.  Plus, simply being the King's blood-brother would make him a target, since the more ambitious ladies would see marriage to Dhugal as being a way to gain easy access to the King's ear (especially with Kelson proving "difficult" and showing no inclination to marry yet himself).   I can see Dhugal enjoying all the feminine attention at first, but after a while (especially when it became obvious that at least some of those ladies were more interested in the coronet than the man) would've probably felt like he was walking around with a bull's-eye on his tabard as far as the ladies were concerned.

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

Quote from: Evie on October 25, 2010, 11:57:50 AM
... there would have been a lot of speculation about Duncan leaving the priesthood after Jared's death and before he discovered Dhugal was his son, especially among the ladies. He probably had to deal with a few would-be Duchesses hoping to entice him out of holy orders, poor man!  Finding out he had a son must have been as much a relief as a surprise for him, and a great shock and disappointment for some hopeful ladies...

Oh yes, and there were over two years before Dhugal was discovered to be Duncan's son.   Between Jared's death and Duncan being appointed Bishop (at which point even the most optimistic lady must have realised he was committed to the Church!), I am sure there was a great deal of speculation about the future of Cassan and Kierney, and more than a few lingering female looks cast in his direction, LOL.

QuoteI can see Dhugal enjoying all the feminine attention at first, but after a while (especially when it became obvious that at least some of those ladies were more interested in the coronet than the man) would've probably felt like he was walking around with a bull's-eye on his tabard as far as the ladies were concerned.
At which point Dhugal had a few chats with a sympathetic Alaric Morgan over a glass or six of 'something', and asked Alaric how on earth HE managed to stay unmarried for so many years!!   :D

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on October 25, 2010, 02:44:26 PM
Quote from: Evie on October 25, 2010, 11:57:50 AM

At which point Dhugal had a few chats with a sympathetic Alaric Morgan over a glass or six of 'something', and asked Alaric how on earth HE managed to stay unmarried for so many years!!   :D

One way would be to subtly imply that one 'prefers the company of men.'  I'm sure that more than a few people speculated in that direction about Morgan, particularly given how close he was with Derry.

Evie

Well, certainly Wencit made a few insinuations to that effect about the Morgan/Derry relationship when he was trying to goad Derry into losing his temper in the dungeons of Esgair Ddu.  But putting forth those sorts of rumors about one's preferences on one's own would be rather counter-productive if one were in hopes of marrying and producing heirs eventually, even if not right away.  Not to mention that, unless the medieval Church of Gwynedd was far different from the 12th C. historical Church, they'd hardly want to give the Church some extra reason besides merely being Deryni to want to declare them anathema.

Both Morgan and, later, Dhugal need ducal heirs; they'd just want to wait until the right woman comes along first.  And she's not likely to do so if she has reason to believe that she'd be an unwanted bride, selected only to be a brood mare for someone who might not even attempt to be faithful to her since she's the "wrong" sex for his preference.  (Not to mention that, if Dhugal were to spread an "I prefer men" rumor, there'd be lots of speculation about his close relationship with Kelson, which--given Kelson's own reluctance to wed early--might eventually lead to speculation as to whether Araxie's children are even his...and Kelson would NOT want to deal with those sorts of speculations, I'm sure!  Eep!   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

Frankly, I very much doubt there was any speculation at all about the Morgan - Derry friendship (especially given Derry's own wenching ways!).  The concept of 'comrades in arms' and genuine male friendship ("mateship") would have been well understood in a culture like that of Gwynedd:  you'd risk your life to save your comrade/friend, just as Morgan did when rescuing Derry, without anyone wondering about a possible sexual relationship.    The fact that Morgan had a loyal and trusted aide who worked closely with him would have been seen as nothing unusual for a very busy man such as the Duke, and would not have prompted anything other than "he's lucky he's got Derry to assist him" type of comments.  There are many commanders / leaders who have had extremely close friendships with long-serving and loyal deputies without there being anything remotely sexual about their relationships.

Also, as Morgan himself tells Kelson before Kelson's marriage to Sidana, he (Morgan) has been in love quite a few times - whereupon Kelson retorts that he only fell in love once when it really counted (with Richenda).  Somehow, I doubt that Morgan was speaking about falling in love with boys or men ;)

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on October 26, 2010, 12:48:42 AM
Frankly, I very much doubt there was any speculation at all about the Morgan - Derry friendship (especially given Derry's own wenching ways!).  The concept of 'comrades in arms' and genuine male friendship ("mateship") would have been well understood in a culture like that of Gwynedd:  you'd risk your life to save your comrade/friend, just as Morgan did when rescuing Derry, without anyone wondering about a possible sexual relationship.    The fact that Morgan had a loyal and trusted aide who worked closely with him would have been seen as nothing unusual for a very busy man such as the Duke, and would not have prompted anything other than "he's lucky he's got Derry to assist him" type of comments.  There are many commanders / leaders who have had extremely close friendships with long-serving and loyal deputies without there being anything remotely sexual about their relationships.

Oh, yes, I know.  But I do have a picture of one or more of the young ladies who were unsuccessful in snagging Alaric doing a 'sour grapes' thing.

Alkari

I'm sure there'll be a few bunches of very sour grapes.  But if those young ladies have been chasing Alaric for themselves, they are hardly likely to put that sort of story around - it wouldn't say very much for them, would it?!  Spending months/years chasing the Duke and then just 'discovering' he likes men, the minute he's betrothed to another woman?   

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on October 26, 2010, 02:42:06 PM
I'm sure there'll be a few bunches of very sour grapes.  But if those young ladies have been chasing Alaric for themselves, they are hardly likely to put that sort of story around - it wouldn't say very much for them, would it?!  Spending months/years chasing the Duke and then just 'discovering' he likes men, the minute he's betrothed to another woman?  

I didn't mean after his engagement to R. became public; I mean after he rejected them.  Actually, it would 'say something' for them-- "I'm such an awesome specimen of female pulchritude that any man who could possibly resist me must be a pansy." They'd probably say that R. is just marrying him for his money, or that he's being forced to marry to secure the Ducal succession.  (Who would have been the next heir if A. had died without issue, anyway?  Some very distant cousin.)  "He'll use her for a ducal brood-mare and then go off with that handsome aide of his, what's-his-name.  You know, the one who wenches so aggressively?  Men who are that blatant about it are usually trying to compensate for something if you know what I mean."  <Meow> <Hiss>

I mean, we do see some men--not very nice men mind you--who are sure that any woman who turns them down must be a Lesbian.  Mostly when I hear a guy talking like that, I'll say, "No, she just has a good ophthalmologist."  (Usually such a Neaderthal wouldn't know what an opthalmologist is, and by the time he's figured out how to spell it and looked it up in the dictionary, I'll be long gone so he can't punch me in the nose.)  ;D

Alkari

Well, the 'excuse' would only work once.   And somehow, I think it is more a 20th - 21st century attitude than a medieval Gwynedd one.  After all, Oksana was seriously chasing both Brion and Nigel, and even though that woman is / was totally serious about angling for a crown or a coronet, there's no evidence she started that sort of rumour when she was overlooked.

Besides, if Alaric has supposedly been 'in love' a few times before, I'd say he's paid enough attention to women at court - however discreetly - to have any such suggestions laughed at.  IF he could ever be bothered with what people thought of him (doubtful, LOL), he'd undoubtedly see the advantages of being seen as "interested in women but very, VERY choosy".  Have all the women seriously intent on showing him just how totally wonderful they were.  ;)

Anyway, the other court women would very quickly see through those 'more interested in men' type excuses by the women who were overlooked.  "My dear, what you mean is - he didn't want YOU!   Shows the man has taste, actually!"   :D   In the 'marriage market' of a medieval court like Gwynedd, that sort of sour grapes rumour wouldn't get past the first whisper, because it would rebound totally on the woman who made it.