• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 158
Total: 158
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Alaric's & Richenda's children

Started by AnnieUK, September 15, 2007, 04:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieUK

In the Codex (new one, anyway) entry for Alaric it says his children with Richenda were Briony, Kelric and Sophonisba.  Apart from feeling sorry for the one with the strange name, have I missed something?  Is this one that died young, or one we haven't met yet? 

Shiral

Quote from: AnnieUK on September 15, 2007, 04:15:50 AM
In the Codex (new one, anyway) entry for Alaric it says his children with Richenda were Briony, Kelric and Sophonisba.  Apart from feeling sorry for the one with the strange name, have I missed something?  Is this one that died young, or one we haven't met yet? 

In the paperback Codex, her name is changed, I believe, to Grania Marie. (Much nicer than Sophonisba, I agree!) But I believe she was born after the events in KKB, and we just haven't met her, yet.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

Sophonisba?

Well, she'd probably go by 'Sophie', which isn't too bad.

Shiral

Quote from: Elkhound on September 24, 2007, 01:52:56 PM
Sophonisba?

Well, she'd probably go by 'Sophie', which isn't too bad.

I would think she'd definitely go by Sophie.  But I can't picture Alaric saddling a child of his with a name as awful as Sophonisba. They might as well call her Hepzibah and be done with it. If KK carries the Kelson stories beyond KKB, I can't imagine she'd let that name stand. Some of the place and personal names in the original Codex were not to her taste, either.

Melissa

EvilEd

My Father-in-law wanted to name my spouse Hepzibah, but saner minds prevailed... He thought it would be nice to have a daughter who was a "hep cat".

*sighs*

Shiral

Last night, I excavated my new Codex out from under my bed. While Alaric and Richenda's baby daughter IS unfortunate enough to be referred to as "Sophonisba Alyca Richenda" in  both Alaric and Richenda's entries at the end of the timeline there is this entry for April 12, 1129: "Lady Grania Marie Araxelle is born to Alaric Duke of Corwyn and Richenda Lady of Rheljan."

I guess Sophonisba was just never changed properly to Grania Marie Araxelle in the two entries. But I knew I had read of the child's being given a nicer name SOMEWHERE in the new Codex. Glad to know I wasn't imagining it!

EvilEd, I imagine your wife is VERY grateful to whatever relatives rescued her from having to go through life as  "Hepzibah."  :o And her father should too. Perhaps they saved him from years of child therapist's biills. =o)

Melissa

Obiwan3

EvilEd,
He must have been a pre-hippie! How many kids were saddled with psychedelic era monikers like "Moon Unit" or "Dweezle"?

Obiwan

morgan

Just to laugh: even Alaric can be a strange name if you translate it in italian  ;D It would sound as "Alarico", but it's quite pretty in english  :)

Elkhound

Quote from: EvilEd on September 27, 2007, 09:03:31 PM
My Father-in-law wanted to name my spouse Hepzibah, but saner minds prevailed... He thought it would be nice to have a daughter who was a "hep cat".

*sighs*

The girl in "Silas Marner" was named Hepzibah; she went by Eppie.

JulianneTK

Hepzibah is  a perfectly good old New England name. Check out stories by Nathaniel Hawthorne for example.  In the House of the Seven Gables -- the real one in Salem, MA -- there's a reproduction of Hepzibah's Candy Shoppe from the book.

Sorry-- I grew up here in the Boston area. There's so much history here that I just can't help it.  :) 

*Some* of those old Puritan names from New England can get really bad...
blessed be, Julianne

Shiral

Quote from: JulianneTK on February 16, 2008, 06:00:46 PM
Hepzibah is  a perfectly good old New England name. \
   *Some* of those old Puritan names from New England can get really bad...
blessed be, Julianne

Okay... out of morbid curiousity, Julianne, how much WORSE than "Hepzibah" can old New England names get?  ;) :)

Melissa

snuffybear

How much worse than Hepzibah? How about Eliphalet (for a guy) or Shearjashub (also a man) If you ever need a girl's name, there's always Tryphosa, or if you've used Tryphosa, maybe Achsah would be a good name. Mehitable is also a girl's name...

(Honest and true, I'm not making these up. They're all on gravestones on Cape Cod!)

Marion

Shiral

Quote from: snuffybear on February 21, 2008, 08:22:10 PM
How much worse than Hepzibah? How about Eliphalet (for a guy) or Shearjashub (also a man) If you ever need a girl's name, there's always Tryphosa, or if you've used Tryphosa, maybe Achsah would be a good name. Mehitable is also a girl's name...

(Honest and true, I'm not making these up. They're all on gravestones on Cape Cod!)

Marion

All right, granted, they're all pretty awful. I could never inflict Eliphalet or Shearsajub on a son of mine, knowing they'd have to endure grade school recesses in a 21st century school and playground.  I'd only choose Tryphosa if I wanted a name that sounded like Typhoid. Still, these names strike me as eccentric. I'd still name a daughter  Mehitabel before I'd name her Hepzibah, though, as Hepzibah still takes the cake for sheer awfulness for me. Not MUCH before Hepzibah, mind you! But still, before .

Melissa

derynifanatic64

How bout this one?  The newspaper here in Orlando has a "Ticked Off" section where people can make anonymous complaints about anything.  There is a couple in this area who apparently named their son--get ready--God Lucifer.  Someone berated the child's parents for thinking up this name and the child's father told that person to MYOB!!
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Obiwan3

Whatever floats your boat. No accounting for tastes & naming situations. i kind of like Hepzibah, reminds me of some of the names Walt Kelly used in his "Pogo" comic strip, back in the 60's. Now there was a satirical cartoon.