• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 263
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 223
Total: 223
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 01:02:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richenda and Bran - married where?

Started by AnnieUK, July 12, 2010, 01:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieUK

Weddings are normally now in the bride's home town, but would it have been at Bran's as the higher ranked of the pair?  So any guesses - Marbury or the Barony of Rheljan?

Evie

Quote from: AnnieUK on July 12, 2010, 01:15:02 PM
Weddings are normally now in the bride's home town, but would it have been at Bran's as the higher ranked of the pair?  So any guesses - Marbury or the Barony of Rheljan?

I suspect it's usually in the bride's hometown in cultures where the bride's family is the one footing the bill, for the sake of convenience.  (It's harder to plan a wedding at a location away from home.)  I'm thinking I recently read that Brion married Jehana in Bremagne, though.  I don't recall where Jared married Vera, and of course Alyce married Kenneth at Arc-en-Ciel, but I'm trying to remember where it was supposed to have taken place originally?  Rhemuth or Coroth, or did the books ever say?  Probably not Morganhall, though.  Then again, she outranked Kenneth and was Donal's ward, so that could've had some bearing on the original planning.  Richelle and Noelie had their double-wedding in Rhemuth, but that was probably due to the political importance of those weddings, especially Noelie's.  Araxie's was in Rhemuth, but it probably was easier to arrange a wedding for her and Kelson there than have him marry in her uncle's Court. 

In other words, I'm not sure there's one hard and fast rule to it.  Probably just whatever location seems most convenient under the circumstances at hand. 
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Alkari

Will have to check about Jared and Vera, but I was reading ITKS last night, and Jared (then Earl of Kierney) married his first wife Elaine in Rhemuth, in St Hilary's.  And Alyce lent her the Furstan emeralds as a special favour because the girls were friends.

AnnieUK

OK, I'm going for Rheljan, just to have some different scenery.  If you uncover any evidence to the contrary, do let me know.

Alkari

That would work quite OK, especially as Rheljan is not that far from Marley.