• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Evie

Today at 08:57:47 AM
Best wishes on finding a good job quickly!
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,554
  • Total Topics: 2,730
  • Online today: 29
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 20
Total: 21
Gilreth
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 16, 2024, 01:30:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Languages question

Started by Alkari, July 08, 2010, 08:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Quote from: tenworld on July 09, 2010, 07:22:58 PM
I wonder if you could mind link and import fluency into someone? On the flip side, if you mind read someone who's language you do not know, what can you get from their mind (other than images)?

In Another Author's writings, some people with telepathic gifts could 'give' and 'take' language fluency; however, it had the side effect of giving a horrible headache, especially if one recieved more than one at once.

Imladris

Cymru is Welsh for Wales,  Gwenydd was a kingdom in Cymru. [The petty kingdoms of Wales being: 
Ceredigion, Deheubarth, Dyfed, Ergyng, Gwent, Gwynedd, Morgannwg, Powys (Wenwynwyn, Fadog), and
Seisyllwg.
I always thought that the primary language would be Welsh - in the parallel, the English didn't exactly take over? And seem to recall something in Codex perhaps of the area of Bregmani being part of the parallel with either Great Britain or Brittany?
Also, I have noted a number of Hungarian-derived names: Lajos, Karoly, Matyas, Miksa, and Miklos. So thought perhaps some language branches that were less prominent in our world are more prominent in the land of the seven kingdoms.

tenworld

Imladris, I havnt heard that name in a long, long time.

I think of Bremagne as french, but you are right, a lot of Europe vanished when KK slammed Ireland into England and England into France to make her world.  Very little German/Polish/Czech/Swiss present.  But Italy must be somewhere since the pope is hinted at and of course the Holyland is somewhere, but seems to have flip flopped with the Anvil (Saudi desert?).